Leeches

chownah

It's leech season!!!! The first time I found a leech on me it was sort of a surprise that it wasn't painful and that they could be easily removed with just a pinch of salt. Since then I sort of look forward to leech season in a strange sort of way......its sort of sweet that such a little critter can get so attached to you..............hahahhahahahhahhahaha

I've been averaging one a day lately and yesterday I was pulling weeds during a rain break and I caught one inching its way up my arm....when I pulled it loose it was amazing how fast it could wriggle its body around to almost instantly get another grip onto the fingers that were trying to dislodge it....you've got to be fast to outmanouvrer a leech.

By the way these are not those huge leeches like in the movie African Queen but cute little 3 or 4 cm ones. You can't catch diseases from them but they do have an enzyme in their saliva that stops your blood from clotting so you do bleed (at a slow rate) for quite awhile.

Better go out and experience them now because in a few months they'll be alot harder to find....as Janis Joplin once sang, "Get it while you can!"

Chownah

Leeches? Is this another thread about that gossip woman from that bar?!!!

"when I pulled it loose it was amazing how fast it could wriggle its body around to almost instantly get another grip........you've got to be fast to outmanouvrer a leech"

Perhaps, Nigel. But a "pinch of salt" isn't quite enough to remove her.

Dont knock the leech too much...it can save your life :D

The medicinal leech was used in medieval times in Europe for certain illnesses because doctors believed that sucking out some of their patient's blood helped them to recover.

To do this they would apply a leech or two and let them feed. Surprisingly, leeches have come back into fashion for medical use.

The anti-coagulant they secrete into a wound helps to stop a scab forming, preventing the skin from sealing over too quickly.

This promotes healing from the inside outwards.

This is especially important where very delicate repairs have been made to torn tissue :o

Not all are interested in ATMs.. :D