Information Needed re: Queen Sirikit Hospital, Sattahip

LarryLEB

I anticipate that I may need to undergo back surgery in the next 2 to 3 months. I'm a farang retired in Jomtien for 4 years now.

Since I have never used Queen Sirikit Hospital (QSH) before, I would really appreciate any information that TV members could provide me: your experiences with QSH, comments about their facilities, doctors, staff, prices compared to other hospitals in the Pattaya area, etc. I have researched online and find that the most recent comments from farang patients are at least 2 years old.

I have had experience with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital but am looking for options that are less expensive. I have a medical insurance plan here, but it will unlikely cover the back surgery due to a pre-existing condition.

Grateful for all comments and advice!

Queen Sirikit OK I guess ,far cheaper than the extortionate BPH,but still will cost.

If pre-planned,do a little bit more travelling,,about three hours worth,see how good ,efficient and cheap compared to anything in Thailand

Give us a clue then, 3 hours travelling to where?

My gf dad is ex military so he goes there free good for him.

But when my pregnet gf decided to go usg there we had to wait 2h and after it was our turn we were told they took the patients limits for the day and we have to come tommorow.

Ah and to register it was like 1h30min

So we went to Bkk pattaya h.

Quick but cost money...

• Like 1

LarryLEB wrote: ...'I have never used Queen Sirikit Hospital (QSH) before...'

I've been to the Queen Sirikit Hospital twice for major major surgery, in the last

12-years, and will avoid using any of the three large Pattaya hospitals whenever possible.

Last February 2014, I had a double hernia operation. At Sirikit, after an intake exam,

it may take them a few weeks to schedule a surgery, if not an emergency situation.

A price comparison: Out of curiosiry only, I went to Pattaya Memorial and BPH and inquired

about the cost of the hernia surgery. The doc at PM said about 100k-Bt, but I need to first check

price at the desk first...the gal phoned...I heard her say 'farang' and was now quoted 200k-Bt+!

At BPH it was 240k-Bt+

At Sirikit the hernia operation was performed by a thoracic surgeon who spoke a

enough English that I undestood what was to take place. Total cost, which included

surgery, meds, food (Thai) and a bed in the ward (I didn't want a private room)

was just under 24k-Bt! I was in the hospital for a week before being released.

Twelve years earlier I'd had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus in my knee.

The surgeon, who specialized in sports medicine, was not on staff and broght in from another hospital,

Surgery, meds, food and a private roon (Baht was then 44 to $1-US) was 25k-Bt.

I was in the hospital one night and released the next day, doing fine, but required to

use crutches (provided by Hosp.) for a few days afterwards..

• Like 2

About 3 years ago my wife and i drove there and i registered in about 10 minutes cost 20b for my card ,then a year and a half ago i had trouble with an eye , was quoted 52 k for immediate surgery cost 5k for consultation and eye tests at local clinic ,very far advanced cataract ,so i popped down to Queen Sirikit showed my card and was given an appointment for the next week ,long story short ,my cataract was very minor no need whatsoever for an operation,but slight pressure in both eyes needed eye drops . i have been going now for one and half years ,you have to wait but the tests (far more than the clinic gave me ) plus eye drops 2k (that is for 3 months supply) i go nowhere else even at 50% more for foreigners the eye drops cost 50% less than at farcino here in Pattaya ,take a Thai speaker because although most seem to speak english they prefere it ,

• Like 2

I used QS a few years ago for a hernia and was pleased with the treatment, my final cost was 17000 baht , BPH quoted 250,000 +, PM was 100,000 + food and I think the one in Sriracha was 160000. I suggest you have a look at the new Pattaya City Hospital on Soi Bukhaou as it would be easier than the 40kil journey to QS for appointments and follow up.

Queen Sirikit OK I guess ,far cheaper than the extortionate BPH,but still will cost.

If pre-planned,do a little bit more travelling,,about three hours worth,see how good ,efficient and cheap compared to anything in Thailand

Give us a clue then, 3 hours travelling to where?

India or Malaysia

• Like 2

Well I was in Queen Sirikit for approx two weeks about 8 months ago. (Had to have surgery on my leg which was severely infected and badly swollen.) The first four days were spend performing all kinds of lab tests to determine the cause. They were very through. They had to open up the leg and remove the infection. The wound was left open for about a week while they treated the infection daily before closing.

The head surgen while I was there spoke English well, but the rest of the staff didn't speak English and the surgeon who replaced him didn't speak English at all! Like Banglamung Hospital the surgery department are very busy with long waiting times for followup visits as an outpatient. Foriegners are charged 50% more and I had to put down 50% before being admitted.

Two months later, I had to have surgery on my other leg, but I was refused. I was told I had to Banglamung because there were no beds available at the time. Banglamung had a 3 week waiting time before an appointment could be made with a surgeon, so I was treated as an outpatient at Banglamung with daily visits.

Queen Sirikit does offer an International diet for an additional fee. It wasn't bad. The hospital staff looked after me well and I can speak Thai well. So I had no problem with communications. The beds, pillows and gurneys were very hard. In fact uncomfortably hard! Even with the 50% surcharge for foriegners their cost was very reasonable.

I'd die before I ever step foot in Bangkok Pattaya hospital. I had a friend who slipped, fell, and damaged his sholder. Bangkok Pattaya charged him 60,000 baht which they botched up. They wanted another 200,000 to correct. He ended up going to a hospital in Bangkok and payed 80,000 baht. Beware, the doctors in Bangkok Pattaya hospital also work in other hospitals around and aren't always the best.

Overall I was pleased with Queen Sirikit, but your milage may very. TIT.

That's an interesting post. Last year a friend of mine had a severely infected leg - caused by letting his girlfriend removing a splinter from the sole of his foot.

Anyway, he eventually ended up in Pattaya/Bangkok hospital and seems to have had the same procedure as you. When visiting him I saw his leg cut 'open' with the nurses cleaning the gruesome wound on a daily basis.

Anyway he begged me to help him get out and return to the UKs as he was being charged 40,000 baht per night.! I saw the bills! A single daily injection for example was costing 10,000 baht.

There seemed to be more visits from the finance department than by the nurses.

I eventually assisted him in getting out and back to the UK where he went straight into hospital. It stillcost him 200,000 at BPH.

• Like 1

That's an interesting post. Last year a friend of mine had a severely infected leg - caused by letting his girlfriend removing a splinter from the sole of his foot.

Anyway, he eventually ended up in Pattaya/Bangkok hospital and seems to have had the same procedure as you. When visiting him I saw his leg cut 'open' with the nurses cleaning the gruesome wound on a daily basis.

Anyway he begged me to help him get out and return to the UKs as he was being charged 40,000 baht per night.! I saw the bills! A single daily injection for example was costing 10,000 baht.

There seemed to be more visits from the finance department than by the nurses.

I eventually assisted him in getting out and back to the UK where he went straight into hospital. It stillcost him 200,000 at BPH.

It cost me in total just about 60,000 baht, including the following: emergency room visit, surgery, about a 2 week hospital inpatient care, and about a one month outpatient care, lab tests, xrays, and meds. Queen Sirikit is only about 6Km away so the travel to and from was not an issue. The traveling to BPH or Banglamung hospital is.

I only received a visit from the finance department once. When the initial deposit was being reached and they asked me to deposit some more. The initial deposit was 20,000 baht. The second deposit was 30,000 baht.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

Touting a damaged and painful torn knee muscle /cartilage ,plus other injury for a couple of weeks Worked through estimates from various hospitals in and around Pattaya, one estimate was $20,000,went to India. OK the private room could have been removed and hospital stay avoided but had the op for $700,private room for night before (op at 5 am),2 surgeons and anesthetist. 3 years ago now,prices may well be up ,but nothing like Pattaya or Thailand's

While there got bowel screening ,heart echo tested ,bloods,prostate etc. Brilliant

• Like 2

Well I was in Queen Sirikit for approx two weeks about 8 months ago. (Had to have surgery on my leg which was severely infected and badly swollen.) The first four days were spend performing all kinds of lab tests to determine the cause. They were very through. They had to open up the leg and remove the infection. The wound was left open for about a week while they treated the infection daily before closing.

The head surgen while I was there spoke English well, but the rest of the staff didn't speak English and the surgeon who replaced him didn't speak English at all! Like Banglamung Hospital the surgery department are very busy with long waiting times for followup visits as an outpatient. Foriegners are charged 50% more and I had to put down 50% before being admitted.

Two months later, I had to have surgery on my other leg, but I was refused. I was told I had to Banglamung because there were no beds available at the time. Banglamung had a 3 week waiting time before an appointment could be made with a surgeon, so I was treated as an outpatient at Banglamung with daily visits.

Queen Sirikit does offer an International diet for an additional fee. It wasn't bad. The hospital staff looked after me well and I can speak Thai well. So I had no problem with communications. The beds, pillows and gurneys were very hard. In fact uncomfortably hard! Even with the 50% surcharge for foriegners their cost was very reasonable.

I'd die before I ever step foot in Bangkok Pattaya hospital. I had a friend who slipped, fell, and damaged his sholder. Bangkok Pattaya charged him 60,000 baht which they botched up. They wanted another 200,000 to correct. He ended up going to a hospital in Bangkok and payed 80,000 baht. Beware, the doctors in Bangkok Pattaya hospital also work in other hospitals around and aren't always the best.

Overall I was pleased with Queen Sirikit, but your milage may very. TIT.

Many thanks, BB1950 -- lots of great information in your reply!

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Like 1

LarryLEB wrote: ...'I have never used Queen Sirikit Hospital (QSH) before...'

I've been to the Queen Sirikit Hospital twice for major major surgery, in the last

12-years, and will avoid using any of the three large Pattaya hospitals whenever possible.

Last February 2014, I had a double hernia operation. At Sirikit, after an intake exam,

it may take them a few weeks to schedule a surgery, if not an emergency situation.

A price comparison: Out of curiosiry only, I went to Pattaya Memorial and BPH and inquired

about the cost of the hernia surgery. The doc at PM said about 100k-Bt, but I need to first check

price at the desk first...the gal phoned...I heard her say 'farang' and was now quoted 200k-Bt+!

At BPH it was 240k-Bt+

At Sirikit the hernia operation was performed by a thoracic surgeon who spoke a

enough English that I undestood what was to take place. Total cost, which included

surgery, meds, food (Thai) and a bed in the ward (I didn't want a private room)

was just under 24k-Bt! I was in the hospital for a week before being released.

Twelve years earlier I'd had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus in my knee.

The surgeon, who specialized in sports medicine, was not on staff and broght in from another hospital,

Surgery, meds, food and a private roon (Baht was then 44 to $1-US) was 25k-Bt.

I was in the hospital one night and released the next day, doing fine, but required to

use crutches (provided by Hosp.) for a few days afterwards..

Thanks, LukDod; your info is very helpful!

Interesting reports that are consistent with other input.

A friend of mine had a motorcycle accident with broken shoulder (?) and shinbone.

Unfortunately he was taken to BPH where they quoted 600'000 Baht to fix the bones (surgery).

Due to his ignorance of alternatives he stuck to BPH and had to go deep in depth with family and friends.

For after treatment / rehab his then girl friend recommended Q.S.

His reports were quite positive and prices in the lower 4 digit range per session gave him relief.

Went there a couple of years ago. Take a Thai with you. The doctors are I dealt with spoke English quite well, both educated in the US, but most other personnel will have limited English. If you want a private room, you have to have someone stay with you, otherwise you'll be put in a ward following surgery so that the nursing staff can monitor you.

Fairly long wait to see a doctor compared to BPH, but the doctors I saw were very thorough and did a good job explaining procedures and options re:surgery. Only charged ... as I recall ... about Baht 200 for the consultation and a small amount for registration. Some Navy officer in the queue to register even made sure I had the right forms and lent me his pen to fill them out. Everyone was really pleasant to deal with and helpful.

Since I needed surgery, but it wasn't considered an emergency, the date set for the surgery was a couple of months off. Military personnel are given priority since it is a Naval Hospital.

I decided to go back to BPH to get it done sooner. The cost at BPH was about 3x the estimate at Queen Sirikit, but I was scheduled 2 days after seeing the doctor. The open hernia operation was excellent. Spent one night in the hospital and I was ready to go home the next morning. On meds for a few days, but never felt any discomfort.

Had it not been for the delay I would probably have had it done at QS, but having it done at BPH ( for less than some other hospitals in the area quoted me) couldn't have turned out better. Not even a noticeable scar left and never any problems.

• Like 1

If you want a private room, you have to have someone stay with you, otherwise you'll be put in a ward following surgery so that the nursing staff can monitor you.

Yes, I was told the same. I forgot that. A person has has to be there 24Hrs/Day to monitor you. I had two persons that would take turns staying.

If I recall, they said they put 4 patients/room in a ward.

Edited by BB1950

There are two kinds of private rooms, air conditioned or with fans only.

The private rooms are pretty basic and cleaned daily, about 5X4 meters. It had a privacy curtain around the bed, a reclining back sofa bed with table, a wall mounted 32" LED TV with remote, small refrigerator, hospital bed, hospital bed table, makeup table with mirror, closet, dresser, and table with drawers next to the bed.

My room also had a small dining table with chair next to the bed. It was not air conditioned. There was an air conditioner with remote, but it was disabled. It had an oscillating floor fan and a oscillating ceiling fan. There was both a ceiling light and hospital bed light.

The bathroom was about 2X2 meters. It had stainless steel grab bars, a flush toilet with bum spray, and a sink on a granite table top. It also had a standing shower with a hot water heater.

There was a small balcony off the room, 2X2 meters.

If I recall, they said they put 4 patients/room in a ward. The ward is not air conditioned, only fans.

The hospital has a 7-11 and large Thai restaurant within the facility.

The ATMs are rather limited; Bank of Ayuthaya, TMB, and Grung Thai banks.

Edited by BB1950

Apparently it is best to do some research and find the best doctor and ask for him/her.

Not sure if you are allowed to do this there or if allowed on the social security program program.

Anyone know?

It is suppose to be one of the better hospitals.

OP, I think you may get better advice here; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/23-health-body-and-medicine/

Like Sheryl always says, go for the Doctor not the hospital.

Hope the surgery goes well for you.

• Like 1

Living in Pattaya but always for several years having my yearly health check at QS I considered that if I had an accident I would wish to go there.

Anyway Last wednesday 6.20am fell off bike (cycle) in a freak accident and broke 5 bones in my right leg

1 x ankle, 1x knee, 1 x fibula 1x tibia just above the ankle and another just below the knee on the Tibia I think.

Bone came through the ankle and arterial blood spurting everywhere .

The rescue were called and an actual ambulance turned up within 20 minutes and asked me which hospital I wished to go to.

In the circumstance the first one to come to mind was of course QS but then and because of the arterial blood loss I thought that maybe the nearest would be more practical and so said "Banglamung"

I was admitted to Banglamung at around 7 0 am and after a few hours of tests XRays ETC had a 3 hour operation on my leg pinning and plating the bone damage.

I stayed in for 7 days, the care was excellent

Total cost of this was 62K Baht (I was expecting at least twice that amount)

If in the future I have need of an hospital I will certainly go back to Banglamung

I hope that my recent experience will help you make a decision but the distance to QS also puts me off going there although I think that it maybe better from a "busy" point of view, it couldn't have been better than the experience I had at Banglamung

The visiting times at Banglamung are 6am to 8am and 2pm till 8pm food was ok on the basis that I wasn't hungry being too ill but if you have someone who can bring food into the hospital I think it would be an absolute nessessity.

If you can eat normal Thai stuff then you will have no problem and there were a few meals that I found delicious

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

I have been admitted twice at QSH, first time for cellulitis, which I had experienced once before, so knew not to dilly dally about having it seen to. They only admitted me because it is twenty+ kilometers from my apartment, and tough because essentially no taxi service here. I can manage the songthaews, when healthy.
As I recall that episode, four days and three nights, food, ward, heavy duty IV antibiotics, a weeks worth of take home meds, the whole thing was under 15,000 baht.

Second time was for an ischemic stroke. I was partially paralysed on the left side. Ambulance, ER, all kinds of imaging including CAT scan, meds, Physical therapy, etc. etc., came to a bit under 20,000 baht total, roughly 1/3 the  cost of the ER alone in US hospitals, or at least what they tried to charge me last go around in Phoenix, and they literally barely slowed down on the way through to ask what my room assignment was.
I have my QSH ID card, and my girl wants me to move  closer.
Anybody have a good deal on a rental in Sattahip or Ban Chang? ☺️

• 2 years later...