What is your odometer reading

garyk

Any road warriors out there with high milage vehicles? Just curious about the odometer reading on your diesel's.

I have a Ford Ranger with 225,000 KM. Only one major repair, 12K. A fuel rail. Other than that only regular maintence. Still running strong.

My SEAT Cordoba had over 300,000Km on it with Lp (don't know how long the lp was on it before I got it and I owned for 2 years) and ran perfectly, had the usual upkeep of timing belts etc. but nothing serious and to my knowledge it is still running strong at least 2 years and 2 owners since selling it.

Edited by WarpSpeed

My SEAT Cordoba had over 300,000Km on it with Lp (don't know how long the lp was on it before I got it and I owned for 2 years) and ran perfectly, had the usual upkeep of timing belts etc. but nothing serious and to my knowledge it is still running strong at least 2 years and 2 owners since selling it.

Had to Google that one. Must of been a very well built car.

Cheers

Yes they are, actually same drive train and chassis package as most VW Polo's with Spanish accents and styling at lower cost. Often overlooked even by me, I was not familiar with the brand being in Thailand since we don't have them in the states. It took me a while to discover them, I wanted a VW Golf but all of the available packages were quite expensive and near on impossible to find one with a manual, these cars have virtually the same drive train but on a slightly smaller & lighter chassis.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

My 13 year old Ford Ranger 4x4 2.5 turbo has 315,xxx km on it'

Regular servicing even from Adun (Somchia) in the village. A few batteries, on the 4th set of Michelin tyres, a new radiator, a couple of shock absorbers, a clutch master and slave cylinders and still going strong. Overall fuel consumption (pre common rail engine) is 11 km/ltr.

All the dings and dents except 1 are mine.

My 13 year old Ford Ranger 4x4 2.5 turbo has 315,xxx km on it'

Regular servicing even from Adun (Somchia) in the village. A few batteries, on the 4th set of Michelin tyres, a new radiator, a couple of shock absorbers, a clutch master and slave cylinders and still going strong. Overall fuel consumption (pre common rail engine) is 11 km/ltr.

All the dings and dents except 1 are mine.

Wow, great!

Chevrolet Colorado. 2,5L D Turbo intercooler.

337000 kms.

Goes very well, its the fuel consumption i am impressed with.

The figures on the last three full tanks :

5,1L/100kms, 19,60kms/L.

5,9L/100kms, 16,94kms/L.

4,9L/100kms, 20,32kms/L.

Edited by nelson bunker
  • Like 1

337000 kms.

5,1L/100kms, 19,60kms/L.

5,9L/100kms, 16,94kms/L.

4,9L/100kms, 20,32kms/L.

very impressive figures - were you do 30 kmh all the time - remove the body entirely - please tell us how to that kind of mileage! ;)

337000 kms.

5,1L/100kms, 19,60kms/L.

5,9L/100kms, 16,94kms/L.

4,9L/100kms, 20,32kms/L.

very impressive figures - were you do 30 kmh all the time - remove the body entirely - please tell us how to that kind of mileage! wink.png

Better than my Fiesta... better than anyone on this website also... http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/colorado

So tell us, what's your secret... 40-47 mpg???

337000 kms.

5,1L/100kms, 19,60kms/L.

5,9L/100kms, 16,94kms/L.

4,9L/100kms, 20,32kms/L.

Good figures ... especially for a Chevy engine ... certainly the latest one isn't renown for being frugal.

I know my Km/Hr reading is at least 7% fast against my GPS... I assume, but haven't checked against GPS how accurate the odometer is ... but suspect its a similar %age ... must do it. On my 3ltr D-Max A/T I can get an indicated 20+ Kms/Ltr BUT I need a steady run, little traffic and be driving around 80Km/Hr or less and very gentle on the gas pedal. As soon as I hit traffic the fuel consumption dives.

I've never managed to get near your figures on tank full to tank full though... seem to spend half my life in BK traffic!!

You should stick your figures in www.fuelly.com ... they would be better than most. And maybe check your odometer against a GPS ... just to see what's-what.

337,000 is a good distance ....hope mine does that ... though might not keep it that long... at my rate of 50,000Kms in 3 years it would take about 20 years ... I'll be more than dust before then!

• Like 2

I must say economic driving is my hobby...

I shift the gears quickly and drive in a very supple way, look in the far for red lights and switch into neutral until they go green...

Anticipate as much as i can and try not to brake.

It is the way i have been driving for 26 years...

• Like 2

As for the odometer reading, i suspect the wheels are bigger than original.

I just changed the tyres for Michelin Latitude tour and the size is 225/65 R17.

Correct me if i am wrong but if the wheel diameter is bigger than original, it means i am doing more kms than the odo reading, doesnt it?

337000 kms.

5,1L/100kms, 19,60kms/L.

5,9L/100kms, 16,94kms/L.

4,9L/100kms, 20,32kms/L.

I hope I can get at least that many K.M. out of mine. I drive it extremely rough. Most of the time I am driving to a remote location, then from there I am on extremely bad dirt roads.

What impresses me is mine is still tight. Looks like hell, but drives good.

I run mine into Ford service every 6 months for a inspection. They have been pretty good at finding little things that are starting to go bad and replacing them.

Cheers

I shift the gears quickly and drive in a very supple way, look in the far for red lights and switch into neutral until they go green...

Having a manual ... that's cheating ... actually in the UK years ago they had the Mobile Economy Run ...they got some good economy figures. Driving as you do and not in heavy traffic will give good figures.

My wife, quite a good driver and has a UK license, but anticipation is not her forte by any stretch of the imagination , frequently gets from me ... 'why are we still accelerating whilst all those ahead have red lights showing' or 'aren't those traffic lights ahead red'. Wasting my breath though .....

• Like 1

JAS, 'emergency red light' is the private joke with my GF when we have all these people overtaking us at high speed and then braking at the traffic light...

Often i pass them at low speed on the slow lane as the light turns green.

The countdown meters that are fitted to the traffic lights are very helpful for anticipating, i wish we had them in Europe...

For the fuel consumption, here is how i proceed :

Ask for 'tem tank' (full tank) at the petrol station, reset the odo.

Drive a lot before refill to get a large sample, do 'tem tank' again.

Write down how many liters i put to get a full tank again (that is the volume i used) and the odo reading.

Do the calculation to L/100kms or Kms/L...

890 kms with 45,54L, driving around Buriram/Surin.

860 kms with 51,02L, driving to Mae sai and in the Chiang Rai hills.

930 kms with 45,77L, driving from CR back to Buriram.

Edited by nelson bunker

I too was surprised when i did the calculation.

I like to drive economically, virtually never go over 2000 revolutions per minute.

Dont use the Aircon.

As for removing the body, i would like to remove the tray door to see how big a difference it makes...

It doesn't it actually gets worse mileage, the air that gets trapped in the back with the gate up creates a rotation that aids in funneling the air over the bed and it makes it more aerodynamic and thus more efficient. You may save on weight only but lose in aero efficiency.

There have been several studies done that disprove "gentle" driving as a fuel saver. The reason being that you are taking much longer accelerating to speed and over coming the worst fuel abuser in momentum, while those who get up to speed quicker with a moderate pedal application (not flooring it) save more fuel getting to cruising pace faster.

As for the odometer reading, i suspect the wheels are bigger than original.

I just changed the tyres for Michelin Latitude tour and the size is 225/65 R17.

Correct me if i am wrong but if the wheel diameter is bigger than original, it means i am doing more kms than the odo reading, doesnt it?

No, less, the larger the tire the lower the gearing and rotation, it rotates slower, not faster you're more likely to be speeding without knowing it as it registers lower speed while actually going faster and therefore lowers the actual ODO reading due to less revolutions.

Having a manual ... that's cheating ... actually in the UK years ago they had the Mobile Economy Run ...they got some good economy figures. Driving as you do and not in heavy traffic will give good figures.

My wife, quite a good driver and has a UK license, but anticipation is not her forte by any stretch of the imagination , frequently gets from me ... 'why are we still accelerating whilst all those ahead have red lights showing' or 'aren't those traffic lights ahead red'. Wasting my breath though .....

Edit: Read this post wrong..

Edited by WarpSpeed