International Schools in Thailand - An Inside Look

On 11/18/2018 at 9:26 AM, Amberd said:

Hi All,

I am an Australian teacher with 5 years experience teaching here in Australia and a further 5 years experience as an Education Support Officer - working with students who have behaviour issues, intellectual and physical disabilities. I am looking at moving to Thailand next year to hopefully teach in an International School. 

My question is what are the best schools (in Bangkok) to apply to (including pay rates, perks etc)? I would need tuition for my son who will be 16 at the time of moving. 

Also, what would I need to apply? Here we need to address certain selection criteria (usually 5 at about one page each) and a resume with referees included. 

Is it best to sign up to Search Associates or ISS in order to be offered a position? Or, is it easy to apply directly?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks. 

Look for international job fairs that are held in Australia every year. Many international schools will have representatives in them. If you come to Thailand and try and find a job it will be harder, and you will most likely get less perks like subsidised housing and return flights home. I'm Australian. To me, I would have your son finish his education in Australia, rather than uprooting him at this very important time. Is there an urgent need to come to Thailand at this time?

International schools in Thailand not pops up everywhere now. I live in Nakhon Ratchasima and have seen two new international schools open up in the last couple of years. Not sure of the education quality though. I did some research on one of the school, Anglo Singapore Nakhon Ratchasima. They seem to be academically driven school. They teach math and science according to Singapore curriculum and Cambridge IGCSE English curriculum. They claimed that 30% of their graduated students have gone to medical school or dentistry both in Thailand and oversea universities.    

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Having a daughter in secondary school in Australia and wishing to relocate to Thailand It seems I will need to delay until my daughter has finished high school. After looking at the fees including some pretty outrageous "admittance" fees, my daughter will be staying at her current school considered one of the best in Queensland. I can send my daughter to one of the top private girls schools in Brisbane with a teacher student ratio of 1:11 for around the same price as a mid tier international school in Bangkok. At least here I am aware of the teachers minimal requirements and performance indicators that they must obtain to teach at her school. I doubt the facilities are any better in those International schools, let alone the teacher standards and qualifications required compared to the GGS in Brisbane.

Edited by Hugh Cow

On 2/20/2015 at 5:22 PM, kingstonkid said:

How many of the schools at the mid tier level are actually teaching the kids to read spell and write.

I teach privately and find that most schools put together a study package that really makes the parents look like their kids are learning however, the same kids can not spell the colours or know how to read and form words.

I think the worst part is the automatic pass. I was at a school with a child that had a significant learning disability but had graduated to pratom 5 because daddy paid the fees and she had perfect attendance.

Is this common

Well said!

On 11/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, BigO said:

International schools in Thailand not pops up everywhere now. I live in Nakhon Ratchasima and have seen two new international schools open up in the last couple of years. Not sure of the education quality though. I did some research on one of the school, Anglo Singapore Nakhon Ratchasima. They seem to be academically driven school. They teach math and science according to Singapore curriculum and Cambridge IGCSE English curriculum. They claimed that 30% of their graduated students have gone to medical school or dentistry both in Thailand and oversea universities.    

The question is not how many graduate but how many fail.  I know this sounds counter intuitive but in the LOS everyone passes.

It really does not matter what they say they teach but are the students actually learning what they say they are teaching.

I know of a school that advertised that they taught Pratom 3 students not on the the names of all the countries in ASEAN but their currencies as well as their capital cities. 

A lot of private schools will dovetail off other schools but that does not necessarily mean they are as good.  For most it is all about the baht.

They can start off with high standards but if the kids are not achieving then in order to keep the students the lower the standard to keep the money coming in.  Most parents don't notice the difference

• Like 1