US brigade of 4,000 soldiers headed to Kuwait

Lite Beer

US brigade of 4,000 soldiers headed to Kuwait

FORT CARSON, Colorado (AP) — More than 4,000 U.S. soldiers based at Fort Carson, Colorado, are heading to Kuwait, where they will take over as one of America's largest ground forces in the region after President Barack Obama asked Congress to authorize military action against Islamic State militants.

Obama ruled out large-scale U.S. ground combat operations similar to those in Iraq and Afghanistan, but he asked for the option to use military force against Islamic State fighters for three years. The fight could be extended to any "closely related successor entity" to the Islamic State group that has overrun parts of Iraq and Syria, imposed an extreme form of Sharia law and killed hostages it has taken, including several Americans.

The U.S. Army has kept a brigade in Kuwait since the end of the Iraq war in 2011. Those soldiers, including two units from Fort Carson, have worked to train local troops from throughout the Middle East. In its most recent deployment to Kuwait, a combat team from Fort Carson conducted training missions with allies including Jordan and the United Arab Emirates, which have joined the coalition against Islamic State fighters.

The unit headed to Kuwait is Fort Carson's heaviest force, armed with tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles. Many of its soldiers are veterans of one or more of the brigade's previous combat tours in Iraq.

"We're no strangers to deployment," said the brigade's commander, Col. Greg Sierra.

The brigade has trained more than a year for the Kuwait mission. The soldiers practiced combat skills last used in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the Colorado Springs Gazette reported.

The brigade's training regimen readied soldiers for a range of missions from humanitarian relief to nonstop combat, Sierra said.

Sierra told soldiers and their families that if his brigade tangles with Islamic State fighters, the outcome won't be in doubt. "In the end, if we do get into fights, we win decisively," he said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-15

OK. Patiently waiting here for the anti-US comments.

While I wait, I'll pray for these good, brave young men and women.

Not from me but I just do not see how past interventions in the Middle East have made the world a better place? Afghanistan? Complete failure! Iraq? Complete failure!

I think it was time that the US sent young men and women into that particular meat grinder and, as someone else posted, started looking after its vets better.

• Like 2

" The fight could be extended to any "closely related successor entity" to the Islamic State"

Good thinking.

But keep it to genuinely "closely related" or we'll have another thing like the Patriot Act where things just went way overboard "in the name of security", or, for that matter, the Iraq invasion over aluminium tubes.

• Like 1

why us government killing inocent people, just to make money from oil ????? to me its a cruel action, please let people live a healthy life, as per instien "every action have equal and opposite reaction" please give good life to americans and other nation people too. you kill iraq or kuwait people then their children will kill children of americans, everyone will be sad, stop it now . . .

You do understand what the Islamic State terrorists are after I hope? These are people that behead and burn captives alive. They have no mercy. They are evil. US Government killing innocent people? I'm not American but perhaps an American on this forum can spell things out for you.

I am an American & while English might not be his 1st language I think he pegged it right

All we see instability/anger/revenge wise in the ME is effect/blowback from our governments own doing.

Yes they have the excuses as to why they must go topple this government or that & how the leader of that government is bad

(unlike our own?) yet all this meddling has resulted in more & more hatred & this hatred that you see as no mercy may be seen differently if it was

you & yours being collaterally hit by hellfire missiles or seeing troops march down your streets kicking open doors because well they are after terrorist

& have to be in your town

Never mind that the terrorist have no navy...no air force...etc etc we need to go get them eh?

As for the OP I only hope the politicians who vote to squander our children's/soldiers lives are just as quick to

send their own kids off to this BS in fact I wish it was mandatory

Thank god you only get one vote.

Were you and/or yours ever in the military?

why us government killing inocent people, just to make money from oil ????? to me its a cruel action, please let people live a healthy life, as per instien "every action have equal and opposite reaction" please give good life to americans and other nation people too. you kill iraq or kuwait people then their children will kill children of americans, everyone will be sad, stop it now . . .

You do understand what the Islamic State terrorists are after I hope? These are people that behead and burn captives alive. They have no mercy. They are evil. US Government killing innocent people? I'm not American but perhaps an American on this forum can spell things out for you.

I am an American & while English might not be his 1st language I think he pegged it right

All we see instability/anger/revenge wise in the ME is effect/blowback from our governments own doing.

Yes they have the excuses as to why they must go topple this government or that & how the leader of that government is bad

(unlike our own?) yet all this meddling has resulted in more & more hatred & this hatred that you see as no mercy may be seen differently if it was

you & yours being collaterally hit by hellfire missiles or seeing troops march down your streets kicking open doors because well they are after terrorist

Never mind that the terrorist have no navy...no air force...etc etc we need to go get them eh?

As for the OP I only hope the politicians who vote to squander our children's/soldiers lives are just as quick to

Why do folk join the military............?

I ask you again...................?

Many years in the Military, can anyone let me know who made this evil e.g. IS…… who provided them with all sort of weapons and training (We all know WHO and the reason behind)

Thank god you only get one vote.

Were you and/or yours ever in the military?

Eventually the free world got together to take care of Nazi stuff and the Jap thing..........It cost dear in young lives but they did it. This new plague will be taken care of, will take time but it will, and I hope these religious killers of even their own will come out the other side and live THEIR lives and not a life controlled by control freaks.... .

• Like 1

What would be the alternative? This is moderate as a reaction to IS. 4000 soldiers are, perhaps, enough to reinforce the somewhat wobbly backbones of western-friendly regimes on the ground. They are not enough to wage an all-out war. And yes, the US could take even better care of their veterans. But the hundreds of thousands who made it back safely over the decades, to lead normal, contented lives, never make it to the press. US are a free country, and with all due honour and praise to those who return from battle, unless incapacitated, you will have to look after yourself

Anyone's anger dos not come out without the reason.

"no fire no smoke"

"if I feel not welcome then I leave"

etc. etc

but if this is business then we have what we have

Just nothing to discuss.

This matter is so simple but we are living in times of convenient "truth " or lie for some.

Rest of us are not important and will pay for this generation after generation hatred will grow between those who even never met and will never know about their good or bad intentions.

It is sad time and world.

Humanity is priceless and in the same time worthless. But money is more important then any nations or cultures .

Media will do the rest.

Edited by gigman

Some on this forum can not say anything better then ..."kill , kill.

It happened by the centuries in the name of gods and money.

Nothing change even we are living in 20 century.

Isn't just easier to just leave .....???

I still remember same angry voices when Vietnam war started....what can you say now????

We all live in barbaric times where money is our god ...

This days everyone keep his mobile phone is personal PC his personal TV in one hand and axe in other hand....

Human brain is getting smaller and smaller.

Some on this forum can not say anything better then ..."kill , kill.

It happened by the centuries in the name of gods and money.

Nothing change even we are living in 20 century.

Isn't just easier to just leave .....???

I still remember same angry voices when Vietnam war started....what can you say now????

We all live in barbaric times where money is our god ...

This days everyone keep his mobile phone is personal PC his personal TV in one hand and axe in other hand....

Human brain is getting smaller and smaller.

Not mine.............smile.png

Perhaps instead of the US, some European nations and Australia could go in and do something about this.

Any volunteers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isis video shows 17 captured Kurdish Peshmerga fighters in cages being paraded through town
LIZZIE DEARDEN Saturday 14 February 2015
Isis has paraded captured Kurdish soldiers in cages through screaming crowds in what some fear is a prequel to them being burned alive.
A video of the procession has appeared on Isis-affiliated social media accounts, showing the prisoners in orange jumpsuits and flanked by black-clad militants brandishing Kalashnikovs and the group’s black flag.
People lining the streets could be heard jeering and shouting “Allahu Akbar” as they passed one by one on the back of flat bed vans.
The captured soldiers were each forced to stand alone in a cage similar to that used in the murder of Jordanian pilot Muath al-Kasaesbeh as the convoy crawled through the town.

Any volunteers?

I actually agree with what you say, but for differing reasons.

As for volunteers, I agree, where are the Saudis, Kuwaitis and Bahrainis in the queue.

As usual they will sit on the sidelines and stoke the flames, their backyard let them sort it out.

Its not as if they dont have the military hardware or lack the training.

All show and no go, very good at holding public parades on national days, thats about it.

• Like 1

Perhaps instead of the US, some European nations and Australia could go in and do something about this.

Any volunteers?

Isis video shows 17 captured Kurdish Peshmerga fighters in cages being paraded through town
Isis has paraded captured Kurdish soldiers in cages through screaming crowds in what some fear is a prequel to them being burned alive.
A video of the procession has appeared on Isis-affiliated social media accounts, showing the prisoners in orange jumpsuits and flanked by black-clad militants brandishing Kalashnikovs and the group’s black flag.
People lining the streets could be heard jeering and shouting “Allahu Akbar” as they passed one by one on the back of flat bed vans.
The captured soldiers were each forced to stand alone in a cage similar to that used in the murder of Jordanian pilot Muath al-Kasaesbeh as the convoy crawled through the town.

In a nutshell.

ANZUS.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Aussies mate. We have always led you into battle.

And we never fall to friendly fire.

• Like 1

Any volunteers?

" Perhaps instead of the US, some European nations and Australia could go in and do something about this.

Any volunteers? "

Or what about USA once and for all demanding help from those Arab countries that straddle the fence and claim on the one hand to be allies of USA and yet at the same time finance and surreptitiously support movements like Isis?ph34r.png

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1