Which martial art to chose for a 12 year old girl?

Confuscious

Like every year, my daughter can chose a extra-curricular activity for 1 year.

This year, she wants to learn and practise a martial art.

There are 3 martial arts schools nearby where I live:

- Muay Thai

- Aikido

- Tae kwondo

Which of these sports would you recommend and why?

TIA

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aikido if the teacher is good. Great martial art especially for female as it uses other persons energy against them

Taekwando if you ONLY want her to be flexible and fit. Amazing flexibility, jumps, roundhouse kicks in the air, pretty useless in real life when it comes to self defense

Aikido if the teacher is good. Great martial art especially for female as it uses other persons energy against them

The Aikido lessons are given in the Military Camp by a military officer.

He seems to be a good Aikido master and has participated in many Aikido contests.

Does your daughter have any preference? That must have some bearing on the decision making.

Any of the 3 should be good for fitness and building confidence in a young girl.

And don't be swung just by arguments for or against a particular martial art. Do some research about the schools. Learning at a school with a good teacher/s and reputation is going to reap greater benefits.

My first interest was karate at the local sports centre. It was basically a belt factory. The school wanted to get you to a black belt as fast as possible and not in a good way. I didn't bother.

Back to your choice of 3, I studied Kung <deleted> and aikido. Aikido wasn't until I was in my late 30's, but would have been my preferred choice. The first thing we were taught at aikido was how to 'fall' without hurting yourself. May not sound very exciting, but can be very useful in a fight.

Appreciate they are not on your list, but jiu jitsu or mma are also on my favourites list.

As an ex bouncer, close quarter fighting is much easier if you know how to manipulate an opponent's bodyweight and have knowledge of arm locks, hand locks, etc.

I had a 'friendly' fight with a co-worker who was very good at jiu jitsu. At 16 stone and 6'2", I got beat by a guy 5'8" and about 11 stone (before I studied aikido).

Whatever her choice, if she becomes proficient in any of them, she will be able to take care of herself (if that's one of the objectives). Again, from previous experience, most people have no idea how to fight. A trained fighter should beat joe public everytime in a fight.

Does your daughter have any preference? That must have some bearing on the decision making.

Any of the 3 should be good for fitness and building confidence in a young girl.

And don't be swung just by arguments for or against a particular martial art. Do some research about the schools. Learning at a school with a good teacher/s and reputation is going to reap greater benefits.

My first interest was karate at the local sports centre. It was basically a belt factory. The school wanted to get you to a black belt as fast as possible and not in a good way. I didn't bother.

Back to your choice of 3, I studied Kung <deleted> and aikido. Aikido wasn't until I was in my late 30's, but would have been my preferred choice. The first thing we were taught at aikido was how to 'fall' without hurting yourself. May not sound very exciting, but can be very useful in a fight.

Appreciate they are not on your list, but jiu jitsu or mma are also on my favourites list.

As an ex bouncer, close quarter fighting is much easier if you know how to manipulate an opponent's bodyweight and have knowledge of arm locks, hand locks, etc.

I had a 'friendly' fight with a co-worker who was very good at jiu jitsu. At 16 stone and 6'2", I got beat by a guy 5'8" and about 11 stone (before I studied aikido).

Whatever her choice, if she becomes proficient in any of them, she will be able to take care of herself (if that's one of the objectives). Again, from previous experience, most people have no idea how to fight. A trained fighter should beat joe public everytime in a fight.

1. My daughter has no preference.

But she likes Aikido because several friends in school are learning Aikido too.

2. The "schools" where the 3 selected sports are teach'd have a good reputation.

3. Only the selected 3 sports are teach'd in nearby schools.

For other sports (eg. Karate) I would need to travel too far away.

4. The main purpose is to learn every year an extra-curricular activity.

Until now, she has been doing this for 6 years already, and in every activity she has become very proficient.

I proposed the martial arts for the next activity to her mainly because I wanted her to be capable of defending herself against attackers.

Thanks

deleted post

Probably not necessary. Any martial art will give you the basics for inflicting violence.

There are fight situations where normal martial skills are adequate and will usually prevail.

And there are fight situations where being fearful for your life, makes violence necessary.

Know how to do a thumb lock? It doesn't take a great deal more pressure to dislocate or break it.

Can punch with some accuracy? Punch to the throat - hard.

Ears are very soft tissue and tear off real easy.

There are others, but I'm sure you get the general idea.

Once you've hurt/immobilised your attacker, get the hell out of there - run.

Chances are, she'll never be in a situation where such violence is necessary and I'm not sure if teaching a 12 year old is appropriate. However, Confuscious strikes me as fairly clued up. His decision.

IMO, from reading this thread, she's already getting a well rounded education from a parent that cares.

deleted post
Probably not necessary. Any martial art will give you the basics for inflicting violence.

There are fight situations where normal martial skills are adequate and will usually prevail.

And there are fight situations where being fearful for your life, makes violence necessary.

Know how to do a thumb lock? It doesn't take a great deal more pressure to dislocate or break it.

Can punch with some accuracy? Punch to the throat - hard.

Ears are very soft tissue and tear off real easy.

There are others, but I'm sure you get the general idea.

Once you've hurt/immobilised your attacker, get the hell out of there - run.

Chances are, she'll never be in a situation where such violence is necessary and I'm not sure if teaching a 12 year old is appropriate. However, Confuscious strikes me as fairly clued up. His decision.

IMO, from reading this thread, she's already getting a well rounded education from a parent that cares.

Many girls/woman would be still alive if they had been teach'd a little bit in "self defence".

In my country, kids from the age of 12 are teach'd how to use self defence in a life threatening situation.

All the "tricks" you are summing up (punch the throat, dislocate an arm or a leg, tear the ears, and others) are things that are not known by most kids of 12 year.

The reason to learn a martial art is purely for self-defence.

She don't need to become a master (black belt) if Aikido.

She only need to be able to defend herself in a life threatening situation and get out of there alive.

Although, i have the experience that everything she does, she does with lots of enthousiasm and end with a good score.

I have been teach'd in the military service how to defend myself.

I only needed the things I had learn a few times in my life.

But I was happy to been able to defend myself these few times and still be alive now.

I let my child decide every year which extra-curricular subject she wants to learn that year.

But the extra-curricular subjects need to be in sport.

Just to get a balance between Ying (brain) and Yang (body).

The previous years she has chosen for Golf, Horse riding, Diving, etc.

She participated in several competitions and finished always within the top 5.

Last year she managed to obtain a PADI diving card.

Everybody is free to teach their children like they want.

Me included.

Time will tell if I was wrong.

Back to the thread now.

post-176122-0-53550200-1424067493_thumb.

I see very young kids, sometimes barely 7 years old, being teach'd Muay Thai.

And I think, when I see them at the Muay Thai school, that a lot of mature persons would avoid to get in a fight with these kids.

What are the "pro and contra" of teaching Muay Thai to a 12 year old child?

Is Muay Thai a good self defence sport?

And I think, when I see them at the Muay Thai school, that a lot of mature persons would avoid to get in a fight with these kids.

When I quit drinking after 20 years of alcoholic binging I studied tae kwan do to try to restore some physical fitness. One reason was because there was a good teacher just outside the post where I was stationed. After a year I came to realize it was more like dancing, because actual contact was avoided, You may know that some American football players take ballet lessons to increase flexibility and "gracefulness." As I became stronger and in better control of my body I realized I was also becoming more serene and self-confident. As other posters have commented, a lot depends on the teacher. My teacher did not believe in tae kwan do as a form of meditation. He said, one day, "Tae kwan do is punching and kicking, not sitting and dreaming."

I have always wished I could study aikido. I think I would recommend that art if you think the teacher is good. I don't think it will help her develop muscle but it will teach her speed and control of her body -- that is stepping where she wants to go, moving her hands to where they should be, moving to left or right without thinking.

I'm ambivalent about muay thai. I think that as taught here it's full contact, even for kids, so there is some danger of injury or just pain. I had a friend in his thirties who was studying muay thai, and he commented that he was too old for it, that the young kids always beat him. Of course he was talking about kids 16, 17 years old, maybe early twenties. I don't think muay thai would be a good self-defense technique. I really think the best for that is aikido. Muay thai would be like boxing as a self-defense technique -- I think you'd need to be more proficient for it to be useful.

When I quit drinking after 20 years of alcoholic binging I studied tae kwan do to try to restore some physical fitness. One reason was because there was a good teacher just outside the post where I was stationed. After a year I came to realize it was more like dancing, because actual contact was avoided, You may know that some American football players take ballet lessons to increase flexibility and "gracefulness." As I became stronger and in better control of my body I realized I was also becoming more serene and self-confident. As other posters have commented, a lot depends on the teacher. My teacher did not believe in tae kwan do as a form of meditation. He said, one day, "Tae kwan do is punching and kicking, not sitting and dreaming."

I have always wished I could study aikido. I think I would recommend that art if you think the teacher is good. I don't think it will help her develop muscle but it will teach her speed and control of her body -- that is stepping where she wants to go, moving her hands to where they should be, moving to left or right without thinking.

I'm ambivalent about muay thai. I think that as taught here it's full contact, even for kids, so there is some danger of injury or just pain. I had a friend in his thirties who was studying muay thai, and he commented that he was too old for it, that the young kids always beat him. Of course he was talking about kids 16, 17 years old, maybe early twenties. I don't think muay thai would be a good self-defense technique. I really think the best for that is aikido. Muay thai would be like boxing as a self-defense technique -- I think you'd need to be more proficient for it to be useful.

Thanks for your input, Acharn.

I made today an appointment with the Aikido teacher.

We will meet Sunday evening.

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt read the entire thread....as a young black belt...I had to teach kids classes..my synopsis...is that , although I dont see it as being a viable way to fight is tae kwon do is the right way to go....organized, a sport...

very very comercialized.......lots of bells and whistles...colored belts and ribbons.....

then later , if she doesnt loose interest....well your here so a good muaythai teacher.......at the end of the day....Ive done it all starting from Hapkido...leading to krav......and just abouteveryrhing in between.....now as an old man....I polish my swords....oil my knives......as a kinda aerobic exercise.....

Aikido...way way cool. Joint locks equate to pain and life long injuries....hence....not a good starter.....but one wicked art.....krav takes alot from it....not for kids.....

For a well rounded grounding in sports and sportsmanship I’d recommend Taekwando as it is already well established and organized in Thailand with lots of local, regional and national competitions. There is an emphasis on core values besides just the fighting part. It is also quite social and she’ll make new friends. If just for self defense than just about any martial art will do- just depends on how hard she wants to train at it on whether or not it’s effective.

I think the best form of self defense for a girl would undoubtedly be Brazilian jiu jitsu -it is likely unrealistic to expect a female to trade blows with a larger, more aggressive male and win, e.g. taekwondo, karate, muay Thai etc. Brazilian jiu jitsu teaches how to fight on the feet and on the ground, particularly from your back, which has obvious self-defence applications for a girl. It is extremely effective, and can be evidenced in numerous youtube street fights and no-holds barred athletic contests. I know it wasn't on your list, but it would certainly be my first choice for self-defence, as well as discipline and camaraderie.

Akido is a very beautiful art, with the same roots as jiu-jitsu. but ultimately it is, mostly due to the unrealistic training, nigh on useless with anyone other than a compliant training partner.

That said, any martial art is better than none, and it will instill much more than self-defence skills, things like discipline, mental toughness, respect for others. Good luck in your choice.

Joint locks in practice can create life long injuries....white. belts practice on white belts.........as an orthopod......i would rather reccomend a skateboard.........tae kwon do...if theres an apptitude.....I think the movie kickass is in order

My dad started me in Shotohkan when I was 8. Many, many years later I attained a 4th Dan in it. But along the way I also took up Akido. I'm 66 now, and looking back, and knowing as much as I do about martial arts, I would have taken Kempo for life if I could have.

As for your 3 choices, go with the Akido. As others have pointed out, it's a great self defense art, and very good for woman and smaller men. Tae Kwan Do looks nice, but isn't practical in a street fight scenario, unless you're like Chuck Norris with a 7th Degree Black Belt. lol

The Akido will also help build her self confidence more so than the others.

But, in the end, it's your choice.

Just my 2 stang's worth.

I was told many years ago by someone that I'd asked about which martial art was best for me, he replied "The nearest school to your home because then it is no hassle to go and you will stick with it, because over the years there will be lots of reasons why you won't want to go!" He was right, and three years later I got my 1st Dan in Shotokan karate.

However, as like has been said before on the way I came across many others that I would have liked to have practised, and certainly Aikido would have been in the top of my wish list.

Try Wing Chun. I've practiced since my teens and continued under a teacher in BKK when I moved here. He teaches at http://www.bkkwingchun.com/en/ (his name is Pano)

A bit about wing chun...

Wing Chun does not pit strength against strength or employ mindless brute force, instead a Wing Chun practitioner aims to borrow an assailant's force and use it back against them. This fundamental principle makes Wing Chun suitable for all, regardless of age, sex or build.
Wing Chun as a practical self-defence and street fighting method is well documented, it has been refined over the years for economy and direct application. The apparent simplicity of Wing Chun disguises its lethal power and devastating speed, the system does not easily lend itself to display or competition.

Try Wing Chun. I've practiced since my teens and continued under a teacher in BKK when I moved here. He teaches at http://www.bkkwingchun.com/en/ (his name is Pano)

A bit about wing chun...

Wing Chun does not pit strength against strength or employ mindless brute force, instead a Wing Chun practitioner aims to borrow an assailant's force and use it back against them. This fundamental principle makes Wing Chun suitable for all, regardless of age, sex or build.
Wing Chun as a practical self-defence and street fighting method is well documented, it has been refined over the years for economy and direct application. The apparent simplicity of Wing Chun disguises its lethal power and devastating speed, the system does not easily lend itself to display or competition.

Again, I personally think wing chun is the way to go but sensed this was not an option for the OP. Regarding the above post: I have been to this location and have met and trained with this instructor once or twice. I would highly recommend training under this instructor. I was very impressed and coming from a background of combat martial artists that is not so easy. Also, the environment is brilliantly modern, clean, and the cost reasonable. It is located near LaSalle by Bearing BTS. If we did not have to move we would have continued there. They also have women students AND the ability to teach and train Muay Thai in adjacent facility if desired. I second this recommend.

Taekwando if you ONLY want her to be flexible and fit. Amazing flexibility, jumps, roundhouse kicks in the air, pretty useless in real life when it comes to self defense

I'm not sure what tae kwon do school you trained at but your statement is way off the mark, tae kwon do is very proactive when it comes to street fighting, your taught how to punch properly and most of the time one punch will be enough to finish things but more importantly your taught to try and avoid violent situations, self discipline.

Archived