Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

You are right and if you have a family with kids in schools and a mortgage on your house it gets even far worse!

My brother, who lives in Belgium, was here this summer and has a family with 3 kids like me, but older kids. We live a frugal life to cope with all the increasing cost and spend at least 50% more than my brother!

What are the differences, even mostly using local ingredients for our food? Meat is the same price, vegetables and fruit are more expensive here than in most of the western world, same as milk, beer, cheese, cereals, let alone wine...

Than you have high interest, 7% on our mortgage and only 100,000 Baht is tax deductable on relative high income tax of up to 35%.

Try to buy a car that doesn't guzzle gas and you pay twice the European price, if you finance it you pay extreme interest too.

Send kids to bi-lingual or international schools in stead of the Thai schools where they at least learn something else than standing in line and barking the alphabet and you are bankrupting yourself... I recently discovered that International schools in Holland, my home country, are less than half the price of Thailand....

The problem in Thailand is that it is run by a small group that skims all the money out of the country's lower and middle class. They own the whole chains from animal food to meat in the shop and from fertilizer to vegetables and fruit in the shop. Thai products are cheaper in the US and Europe, how is that possible? Because those countries make sure there is competition in most sectors in the economy. The ruling class in Thailand makes sure they have no competition and by doing so robbing their own people dry!

It is for me, to live a Western lifestyle. I don't want to live "like a Thai."

i live a much better "western" style in Thailand than anywhere else in the "west".

reason: no IRS claws in my pocket smile.png

disclaimer: my wife disagrees and would rather prefer to live in the "west".

I'm not sure it's possible to live "a much better western style" in Thailand at any price. The place stinks, the roads are very dangerous, the electrical is dodgy...

I could go on but I decided after one year that no matter how much rent I paid or how nice a car I might buy, I'd still be in a dirty, smelly, "developing" country.

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

You are right and if you have a family with kids in schools and a mortgage on your house it gets even far worse!

My brother, who lives in Belgium, was here this summer and has a family with 3 kids like me, but older kids. We live a frugal life to cope with all the increasing cost and spend at least 50% more than my brother!

What are the differences, even mostly using local ingredients for our food? Meat is the same price, vegetables and fruit are more expensive here than in most of the western world, same as milk, beer, cheese, cereals, let alone wine...

Than you have high interest, 7% on our mortgage and only 100,000 Baht is tax deductable on relative high income tax of up to 35%.

Try to buy a car that doesn't guzzle gas and you pay twice the European price, if you finance it you pay extreme interest too.

Send kids to bi-lingual or international schools in stead of the Thai schools where they at least learn something else than standing in line and barking the alphabet and you are bankrupting yourself... I recently discovered that International schools in Holland, my home country, are less than half the price of Thailand....

The problem in Thailand is that it is run by a small group that skims all the money out of the country's lower and middle class. They own the whole chains from animal food to meat in the shop and from fertilizer to vegetables and fruit in the shop. Thai products are cheaper in the US and Europe, how is that possible? Because those countries make sure there is competition in most sectors in the economy. The ruling class in Thailand makes sure they have no competition and by doing so robbing their own people dry!

You're right. Most Thai products, especially clothing, are cheaper in the USA than in Thailand.

The one notable exception is rice. The better Thai rice is slightly cheaper in LOS.

For me, it is a constant daily struggle to either remain in Thailand (Bangkok) or head back to the USA. There are pluses and minuses to both countries. For now, the pluses on the Bangkok side win as to move back to the USA would require a whole life restart. Besides extended family and savings, I have nothing in the USA to return to. I would have to find a place to live, get transportation, find a new job (if possible since I am 48 years old). Just the basic startup costs to move back are enough to keep me in Thailand. Currently, I have a home that is paid off, a car that is paid off and a fairly solid job. I figure the rest of it is just comforts that I can either have or do without.

If I can eat good cheap western food, fine. If not, no big deal. I don't need to get any fatter.

If I have to fight Bangkok traffic, I will deal with it. Some cities in the USA are no picnic either.

If the costs of electronics or whatever is more in Thailand, maybe it isn't a "need to have". I don't like to accumilate stuff/junk anyway.

If there is a change on how I feel about living in Thailand, I know that I do have a choice and can move back to the USA. For now, that is enough.

I have lived in Pattaya 3 years and love it here. I live near the beach and am walking distance to anything I want or need. While some American products are expensive here, it its still much cheaper to live in Thailand. With True Vision I am able to watch the same programs and sporting events I watched in the USA. No thoughts of going back!

Huh????

It is for me, to live a Western lifestyle. I don't want to live "like a Thai."

Good luck with the American McDonalds lifestyle .

So you tried it. It wasn't for you. Fair enough.

But why come here day after day to slate the place?

Over the years, I have posted a number of replies, as well as original topics, that have recommended Thailand, and/or praised Thai people.

So I am neither a basher, nor an apologist. I call 'em as I see 'em.

I pay 2200 THB a month for a 3 bedroom brick and tile, fully furnished home in Thailand.

That is 7.5% of my salary.

Where in the west will I do that. Tell me and I will go there.

That is not the norm. Live in a decent city here and a three-bed will be a lot more than that. But, yes, in general rent is cheaper as is eating out, but it's all relative with wages. Most of us would be earning 8x the typical teacher's salary here.

I'm with the op and others, all a bit long in the tooth. Each to their own, of course, but returning to having Thailand as a holiday destination.

Never have understood that logic. Work till your 65 or older retire than drop dead a year later flat broke. Sounds like fun..

I retired here at age 50 well over 10 years ago. I am the envy of my old friends in the U$A, most of whom will work until they drop dead on the job. Why would I ever want to return?

Have never understood why foreigners move here and try to copy everything they left behind, eat western food, hang with other foreigners , and sit in bars all day. No thanks.

Life is certainly cheaper here, unless you insist on trying to live a western lifestyle.

But if you want to live a western lifestyle, why the hell move here in the first place?

Some very interesting posts. And good humour abounding throughout - pretty well.

The US of A is a most splendid Nation wirth so much geographical variety (we are Canucks so live close by!!), but guns/cost of healthcare are downsides. But where is perfect? For my wife and me, 6 mos here annually is tops, but when we get older I think we'll have to reconsider as life is pretty expensive here now with the baht so strong. Kay sera sera as the song goes.......

People are coming at this from allnsngles to justify their bias. I've spent the last year super analyzing a move to US and one of the cities was even SLC.

Thailand is clearly less expensive overall. Rent, healthcare (aca) primarily but utilities from mobile, internet to simple water and power have doubled. The dreaded mandatory automobile, truly a money pit.

I have no priblems living like a Thai and its helped me considerably. I see little hardship.

If you need to eat bread, drink wine, eat in western restaurants, have a big house with ac running full 24/7 - its possible that you on balance are spending as much as in US and would all things being equal and you can afford it, better to be in US. Especially if you are 65 and on Medicare.

There are other subtle costs, such as here you might pay for running ac far too much - but say in SLC, you will pay bith heating and ac perhaps eight months a year. There are also loads of hidden use fees in US now.

Further, I do not think factoring in buying anywhere should be part of a decision. Returning to states from living abroad 20 years, yu migbt just want to run back to Asia. But even within US, you csn move somewhere, decide its not a good fit and then what? Add to thus the US is in another property bubble and finally, buying a house for some might be unsiund investment for many solid reasons. As Thailsnd, the best and only reason anyone should be buying (on a dip) in US imo is to live out there days in THAT house.

Auto: damn I hate cars. Filthy personal pollution machines and you simply must have one and all the exprnsive that goes with it.

The truth is that both sides are correct. For those who can enjoy Thailsnd for what it is and offers, it is cheaper, far cheaper. For those who have are living international lives here, the cost is international.

Unless Thailand lowers barriers to alcohol and foodstuffs which it will never do despite being in full violation of wto, Thailand will remain as expensive as the US.

The price of gasoline and alcohol - foodstuffs aside are positively ridiculous. Jim Beam is as cheap as 100 Pipers in small 200ml bottles vs 1L bottle Japan vs Thailand.

Thailands import prices are ridiculous and on par with US, Japan, Hong Kong, etc... Anyone interested in Japan? I bet you could live in lovely Kyoto for same price as Bangkok.

Edited by Mencken

Huh????

Well, I will politely quote the whole thing, even if I got nauseatic before reading half of it.

To each their own. I - as a European - would rather live in a bamboo hut in Isan than set my foot one more time in USA ... cheesy.gif

No plans to return to my homeland ever. Why ? Police state, nasty women, shallow, crap food, expensive rent, Obamacare ,what a joke, work until you drop dead for what. Never understood foreigners that move here bitch and moan about the Thais, never learn to speak Thai, eat expensive foreign food, have bar girls for girlfriends or a wife, drink non stop , hang with other foreigners in bars, never bother to learn about the Thai culture Do's and Don;ts and overall treat the Thais like crap and wonder why they have non stop problems. Ban Huay Yang in southern Thailand is a fine example of foreigners that live in a fortress with high walls to keep out the evil Thais, walk around with a scowl non stop like they have a stick up their butts and are some of the most unhappy looking foreigners i have seen in all my travels. If you hate it here so much LEAVE ! More room for myself and wife. Never had much of any problems with the Thais OUTSIDE of the tourists slums. I love it here, enjoy the Thais, Thai food and basically everything. So why leave.

Cost of living is cheaper here, better quality of life, and:

People smile without hoping for anything other than a smile back;

Haven't heard a single dog bark in three months, let alone been attacked by a pack of them;

No burning of plastic;

No loud music, caterwauling as the moon sets, or unbridled exhaust;

Haven't seen one person pick their nose. Nope, not even the person preparing my food ...

Were there good things about my time in Thailand? Sure, but no where near enough to consider living there any longer, let alone dying there.

My wife is joining me in April. We have a bucket list in the first month that includes:

The Grand Canyon- camping and rafting;

Las Vegas- attending a Cirque de Sol show, and, in the casinos, losing money;

Driving north from San Diego through Malibu, sailing to and about Catalina, then taking Hwy 1 up the coast into Washington State and eventually Victoria, B.C. We'll stop at wineries and cheese farms along the way, detouring for camping in Sequoia National Park, and Redwood National Forest. Then Yosemite and back over to the coast ….

Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

What you going to do after the first month?

Haven't heard a single dog bark in three months, let alone been attacked by a pack of them;

No burning of plastic;

Haven't seen one person pick their nose. Nope, not even the person preparing my food ...

Were there good things about my time in Thailand? Sure, but no where near enough to consider living there any longer, let alone dying there.

My wife is joining me in April. We have a bucket list in the first month that includes:

Driving north from San Diego through Malibu, sailing to and about Catalina, then taking Hwy 1 up the coast into Washington State and eventually Victoria, B.C. We'll stop at wineries and cheese farms along the way, detouring for camping in Sequoia National Park, and Redwood National Forest. Then Yosemite and back over to the coast ….

I couldn't have said it better. Good choice for trips. I have a system for beating the casinos in Lost Wages. Don't gamble, just take advantage of their cheap restaurants and buffets. smile.png

On the looong drive up 101 along the Pacific Coast it gets tempting to cut over to Interstate 5 to get really "rolling," but I wouldn't do it. I'd keep going right on up through the Olympic Rain Forest all the way to Port Angeles and catch a ferry to Victoria, Canada.

But that's just me... smile.png

Not gambling is not really beating the casinos.................hahaha.

Cheap buffets are so 1990s.

please do tell us what these nutritional products are?

Huh????

We spend half the year in Thailand and half in the South East of Spain.

What you said in your post is very similar to life in Spain.

For us it is the best of both worlds.

Getting the paperwork done for my wife to be in Spain was tough with many hoops, but once done, there is no more paperwork for five years which makes life very easy.

On the other hand, I have to time my return to Thailand so I can apply for a new retirement extension, have TM28, notification of staying in my wife's house, TM47 90 day reports,

TM7 Application for a retirement extension for which I must keep 800,000b in the bank or pay the 50GBP (about $75) fee to the British Consul for his letter of proof of income.and TM8 Application for a re-entry permit.

All this takes time and money every year and is not the same for my wife in Spain and is most unfair!.

In Spain we both have full FREE National Health cover. We both visit the Dr for free and if we are prescribed meds, we pay only a tiny proportion of the costs.

I have never spent a rainy season in Thailand and have no wish to do so.

I have spent many winters in Spain and don't wish to winter there again, anywhere with a temperature below 20C for any length of time is not fun for me.

I love both Thailand and Spain, we spend time with my wife's family and friends and that is important to us both but I am always glad to bet back to Spain where it easy and cheap for my UK family to pop over and visit for holidays.

Last summer, we had a Danish couple over for a holiday and they were amazed at how safe the South of Spain feels when compared to both Denmark and Thailand.

We toured from Almeria in the east to Gibraltar in the west, stopping in various hotels along the way.

I first came to Thailand for a brief visit in 1969 whilst working in Penang, Malaysia.

Then it was paradise, really the LoS!

Now, not the same. Farangs are regarded as walking ATM's - Cash Cows and it is degrading.

Your whole post is above but I have extracted just this small piece

"retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal."

I anticipate that. in the future, many folk of retirement age will quickly see how Thailand has deteriorated and will choose other countries for their "Golden Years".

Looks great for a month, but then what????

Sounds like a recipe for disaster is what!

No burning of plastic;

YES, I think there is not a better country for ME and my Thai wife.

The wether is good, fine temperature, the Thai food is delicious, we have 1500m2 of own land, many fruit trees, lilawadie in different colours, two watching dogs two man cats and some ducks, and it still more cheap than Holland, or The Netherlands. We are happy that we get a child in about a half year, and the boy or girl growes up in like a paradise Thailand. Whatels will we wish, I have seen half the world and this is my distenation. Long live the KING and long live Thailand.

I retired here at age 50 well over 10 years ago. I am the envy of my old friends in the U$A, most of whom will work until they drop dead on the job. Why would I ever want to return?

Been here 17 years since I retired, don't see any reason to make a change - I am certainly better off here than I would be in UK, even if I do have to pay for health care, that is soon going to be the case in UK, where it will cost more.

I bet most of the folks that hold a grudge against LoS forget why they relocated here in the first place. That is, it's easy to focus on 'what I have now', i.e. my current situation, rather than the reason(s) that pushed them to relocate in the first place. For me it's still easy, I hear dogs in USA and many of the annoyances that I have here in LoS; however, my tax bill is literally zero compared to living in USA. Will I stay until the end...dunnofacepalm.gif

Huh????

What a great post . I agree with everything. But stilll usa has nothing comparable to thai bargirls...........................hahahaha!