Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

please do tell us what these nutritional products are?

And perhaps why you can't order them from anywhere in the world and have them shipped to Thailand... Anything I cannot find in Thailand that I really want or need, I can have shipped to me in less than a week...

Looks like you are rich..and you do not qualify to compare Thailand life with USA life...at all....and that's the problem with many expats here, not only from the US.

Move to Thailand expecting to have the same "amenities" like in the US, it is plain ignorance of the reality, and the world cultures.

Believe it or not, the best of Thailand is the QUALITY of most of its people, and its way of see life in its BIG picture, something that NEVER will happens in the US. Unfortunately...because the US still thinking that can imposes its way of life around the world, and may be successful.

Edited by umbanda

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

Most people that travel to the other side of the world to live will embrace their new surroundings and culture, by doing this Thailand is by far cheaper than the US, however in your case wishing to eat the same foods and have the same lifestyle has you now have again begs the question why on Earth did you even bother living here.

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

Oh for some Thai massage and foot massage places readily available in the USA. San Diego is the closest place I have seen that has as many massage places, many are chinese and not Thai, but at least they do have a foot thingy. Claremont Mesa area has some pretty 20 - 30 USD an hour places. But nothing like a little Thai walk in foot massage place. Gosh I can't wait to get there., < 20 days to go

A late Christmas for you I guess : )

There's a GREAT Thai massage place in Linda Vista on Ulric road (about a mile up from Mission Valley). Thai owned and all the employees are Thai, very good traditional Thai massages. It's right across the street from the fantastic Sab-e-Lee Thai resturant and on the same block as the Vietnamese market there (which is pretty good too).

http://www.thaimassagesandiego.com

I am here 2 years now and I have decided I will not renew my retirement visa next year.

I miss:

beautiful national parks in the US

beautiful coastlines that are not full of litter

forests that actually have abundant wildlife

fresh seafood in the Pacific Northwest

sea kayaking in the PNW being able to buy a real sea kayak, custom fitted to me

the best tasting beer in the world

the best mountain biking in the world and being able to buy a mountain bike in my size

being able to own land and a home in my name

having an intelligent conversation

being about to go listen to live music, going to a concert of someone famous

being able to call 911 and having a well trained paramedic arrive

reliable postal delivery of something important and expensive

I have great health care from my government pension so that is not an issue.

I understand the people that will stay here until the end are many are from UK.

There are some very beautiful places in the US/Canada.

I will take back my thai cooking skills and my defensive motorcycling skills are much better.

nothing here in LOS blew me away... it is not at all paradise to me. I enjoyed the chaos to some extent and loved going to the food markets. I enjoyed motorcycling some of the mountains up north and visiting the hill tribe people and the small villages along the off beaten roads. Cool people there.

BUT, I am cheating myself out a great retirement life living here. I also think it is unsafe and unhealthy living here.
I have many great memories and wonderful adventures awaiting me in the states and I can afford a good life there. This was a stop off to sort out my life after turning 50, retiring and getting a divorce... it has played out for me, time to go enjoy life and have fun.

I will most likely go to Bali for 2 months during the winter if I return to SEA, but more than likely my trips will be South America or Eastern Europe.

I think that is a pretty fair assessment and comparison. I am single 57 and have worked in many USA states. FL is my permanent home but I am often working out of state on a contract. I have been to Thailand 14 times, sometimes staying for over two months on a trip. I can punch out and retire but I just am not ready to do that yet. I would be bored in Thailand. I don't want to inherit a family or start a family. I worked hard to get where I am financially and I like having the option to stay or go. Thailand does and will require you to compromise on a lot of things that you take for granted in the USA. For some people, that is a non-issue. For others, the little things can add up and make the place very frustrating.

That's a good point. I too worked hard to get where I am, and my earning potential, and what I am again earning now that I'm back in the States, is quite good. Retirement for me was boring, debilitating even.

But many of those contending Thailand is cheaper, had low earning ability and "retired" to a third world country on a tight pension. I don't criticize that, but it does not mean LOS is cheaper than the States. It means you are giving things up.

And I lived in Chiang Mai. A truly "nice" apartment and all the amenities someone listed, can not be had for 45,000 baht a month. The nice condos cost 25-30k a month alone. Hell, just the Starbucks he claims to drink every day would be costing him 4000 baht a month.

All the guys who say Thailand is cheaper, always focus on the rent.

That was a great list of bad aspects of living in Thailand. I could add more to it, but there are a few (IMPORTANT) things going on for Thailand too.

I wake up every morning to the sound of waves. I get up and enjoy my mocha on the high floor balcony overlooking islands off the coast. I don't know one single person in the US who could afford anything even close to this no matter how hard they worked (I'm talking about 150-250 k per year incomes). Housing affordability is a big part of the equation. While the land prices in Thailand are ridiculous and I can't understand why any foreigner would buy it (especially since it's against the law), there are condos to be found at reasonable prices. Ridiculous cost of maintenance and property taxes in the US are major disadvantage.

I could have worked till 65, till my health deteriorates, till I have no desire to travel, ... But I chose to enjoy my life instead. Call me lazy bum, but I got tired of traveling half-way around the world for a 2-week vacation. You worked your whole life to enjoy what you have now and I don't blame you. But how do you put price on 20-25 years of your life?

Are better quality of service and goods worth having to work for it? It seems they are for most people. I accept the fact that you get what you pay for it. For example, I just had oil seals replaced on my motorcycle. Labor cost was $18. In the US, last time I had work done on my bike, hourly rate was $100, probably more now. I'm sure quality of work is better there, but I don't see motorcycles and cars disintegrating on the roads here and hopefully my forks won't fall apart either.

I enjoy variety of foods from all over the world found in the US. I love cheap wines and other western foods that are ridiculously priced in Thailand. But after I get my fill of it I do crave "unhyginic" street somtum. I actually love Thai food and I don't mind eating what Thais eat. I rarely eat western food in Thailand as it lacks authentic flavor. Besides I get to enjoy plenty of authentic foods from all over the world when I travel to those countries with money I saved by eating what Thais eat.

In the few years that I haven't worked, I've traveled more than I would have in 25 years of working and vacationing 2-3 weeks per year. I still spend 2 months riding PCH, visiting national parks of UT, AZ and CA every year. But I also get to travel to other continents and visit places that I would simply have no time for if were still working.

So I agree with every single thing you said. Thailand is a good place for cheap living if you're willing to live like the vast majority of Thais live and you get what you pay for it. The only difference is that I was not willing to trade 25 years of my life to pay for higher quality of goods and services of the developed countries.

I hope you have wonderful time along the PCH and may you have good weather in the Pacific NW, it's an amazing place.

I ask the same question every day. Why in the hell did you move here ? Let me guess. Bar girls and booze.

Huh????

Most people that travel to the other side of the world to live will embrace their new surroundings and culture, by doing this Thailand is by far cheaper than the US, however in your case wishing to eat the same foods and have the same lifestyle has you now have again begs the question why on Earth did you even bother living here.

Huh????

Huh ??? For sure. You see, a story is only as good as the facts within it ... is the author honestly trying to say that the cost of living in California is less than Thailand ???? That is simply absurd...

If he had left that portion out, and just stuck to a pretty fabulous 5 month holiday ... that would be great.

The only way I can figure this out is someone died, left this guy a nice mobile home, and for the cost of fuel and take away McDonald's, he and his bride can cruise the coast.

Packs of dogs, burning plastic ??? That sounds like the middle of nowhere Thailand ... I live in BKK in a 270" full river view condo, and trust me, as an American who lived in California for 6 years .. this is simply not even close.

California cheaper than Thailand ... thanks for a good laugh over morning tea.

Huh????

Rent and utility bills are way cheaper here..In the UK i was paying about 55,000 baht rent and bills. Here its 18,000!! That means I can spend the rest on food and travel and actually save money too!! Saving money is almost impossible in Europe unless you own a successful business....

You mention living in the UK and then lump it together with Europe,

So did you try Spain?

A nice three bed fully furnished apartment with aircon, kitchen, washing m/c where we live would cost about 14,000b

10 mins walk to the beach..... 33cl beer inc Tapas costs about 120b and in some small bar/restaurants, two of those would be more than enough for lunch or dinner.

Wine + Tapas about 100b and we are talking a nice Rioja not some cheap plonk.

Driving is a pleasure and the roads are not crowded. A short drive to mountains, hot spring SPA's, seaside resorts.

Nudist beaches and tolerant of skimpy swimwear.

An easy language to read/write and speak......

Oh and there is legal prostitution in "Clubs" if that's what's required but they would be much more expensive than Thailand.

We spend half the year in Thailand and half in the South East of Spain.

What you said in your post is very similar to life in Spain.

For us it is the best of both worlds.

Getting the paperwork done for my wife to be in Spain was tough with many hoops, but once done, there is no more paperwork for five years which makes life very easy.

On the other hand, I have to time my return to Thailand so I can apply for a new retirement extension, have TM28, notification of staying in my wife's house, TM47 90 day reports,

TM7 Application for a retirement extension for which I must keep 800,000b in the bank or pay the 50GBP (about $75) fee to the British Consul for his letter of proof of income.and TM8 Application for a re-entry permit.

All this takes time and money every year and is not the same for my wife in Spain and is most unfair!.

In Spain we both have full FREE National Health cover. We both visit the Dr for free and if we are prescribed meds, we pay only a tiny proportion of the costs.

I have never spent a rainy season in Thailand and have no wish to do so.

I have spent many winters in Spain and don't wish to winter there again, anywhere with a temperature below 20C for any length of time is not fun for me.

I love both Thailand and Spain, we spend time with my wife's family and friends and that is important to us both but I am always glad to bet back to Spain where it easy and cheap for my UK family to pop over and visit for holidays.

Last summer, we had a Danish couple over for a holiday and they w

----------------------

Socialized medicine? Isnt that part of the reason spain is such a basket case? Free shit causes so many of societies ills.

Cost of living is cheaper here, better quality of life, and:

People smile without hoping for anything other than a smile back;

Haven't heard a single dog bark in three months, let alone been attacked by a pack of them;

No burning of plastic;

No loud music, caterwauling as the moon sets, or unbridled exhaust;

Haven't seen one person pick their nose. Nope, not even the person preparing my food ...

Were there good things about my time in Thailand? Sure, but no where near enough to consider living there any longer, let alone dying there.

My wife is joining me in April. We have a bucket list in the first month that includes:

The Grand Canyon- camping and rafting;

Las Vegas- attending a Cirque de Sol show, and, in the casinos, losing money;

Driving north from San Diego through Malibu, sailing to and about Catalina, then taking Hwy 1 up the coast into Washington State and eventually Victoria, B.C. We'll stop at wineries and cheese farms along the way, detouring for camping in Sequoia National Park, and Redwood National Forest. Then Yosemite and back over to the coast ….

Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

I couldn't have said it better. Good choice for trips. I have a system for beating the casinos in Lost Wages. Don't gamble, just take advantage of their cheap restaurants and buffets. smile.png

On the looong drive up 101 along the Pacific Coast it gets tempting to cut over to Interstate 5 to get really "rolling," but I wouldn't do it. I'd keep going right on up through the Olympic Rain Forest all the way to Port Angeles and catch a ferry to Victoria, Canada.

But that's just me... smile.png

I have hitch-hiked that road from Canada to San Diego. And driven parts of it numerous times when I was living there.

It is such a beautiful road. There are so many parks and lovely places to camp or just hang out. Stunning scenery and guaranteed sunsets on the water every day.

Cost of living is cheaper here, better quality of life, and:

People smile without hoping for anything other than a smile back;

Haven't heard a single dog bark in three months, let alone been attacked by a pack of them;

No burning of plastic;

No loud music, caterwauling as the moon sets, or unbridled exhaust;

Haven't seen one person pick their nose. Nope, not even the person preparing my food ...

Were there good things about my time in Thailand? Sure, but no where near enough to consider living there any longer, let alone dying there.

My wife is joining me in April. We have a bucket list in the first month that includes:

The Grand Canyon- camping and rafting;

Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

Yeah but,

We're all here for the same thing, gettin' yourself a 'takehome' is cheating.

You haven't really left, until you've left the women behind.

No Sir,

It's called "The best of both Worlds"

wai2.gif

Life is certainly cheaper here, unless you insist on trying to live a western lifestyle.

But if you want to live a western lifestyle, why the hell move here in the first place?

where in the "west" aren't you forced to pay income tax? there's a gentleman in a wheel chair (picture below) who would take nearly 50% of my income if i lived in my home country. and what's left and spent is taxed with another 19% VAT on goods and services. not to talk about other goodies such as paying double, triple or more for utilities to finance government subsidies.

summary: my lifestyle in Thailand is in every respect "light years" above the living i could afford in Germany and it does not cost me a single Satang as i finance it with the money i'm not paying to the above-mentioned gentleman who would love to spend a part of my hard earned money on bailing out Ukraine and some "ClubMed" countries, e.g. Greece.

Wolfgang_Schauble-wheelchair.jpg

I will stay here as long as I am able to make money and keep my knowledge updated. I can switch anytime I want.

I got a full western kitchen with all on it. If I can have it why can't others its not that expensive.

All other stuff is just choices, I could get a bigger more expensive house.. but why it does not give me much joy. Everyone should spend on what they want. For me its cheaper here and better too.

Huh????

I'll stay here till the end most likely as right now back in Boston MA USA they have had multible snowstorms with severe cold with the need to ask for aid in plowing from other states. When I sold my home there it provide me with enough funds to have a condo in BKK, and homes in Chon Buri and Rayong. My Government pension allows me to afford either a Thia or Farang lifestyle. My costs are cheaper in Thailand. It cost me upwards of $3'000+ per year to heat my 12 room home in Boston ( oil heat) the taxes were about the same and insurance for home almost $3,000 per year. Cost far less to insure my homes here and no cost to heat them --little cost for aircon as walls /roof are insulated. A plate of Pad Thai in Boston was like $9.95 vs 40 baht here, kinda makes up for American food I pay extra for.

Even if my wife and I split and I wasn't smart enought to have taken steps to protect my assets my pension alone gives me enough funds to rent a condo somewhere ( in Thailand) and live comfortably---- not in some old folks resort in Florida . My Gov health insurance covers me where ever I live. For those that can't stand Thailand you have an alternative buy maybe some can't leave because spose doesn't want to leave , I can see that making some bitter.

Oh for some Thai massage and foot massage places readily available in the USA. San Diego is the closest place I have seen that has as many massage places, many are chinese and not Thai, but at least they do have a foot thingy. Claremont Mesa area has some pretty 20 - 30 USD an hour places. But nothing like a little Thai walk in foot massage place. Gosh I can't wait to get there., < 20 days to go

There's a GREAT Thai massage place in Linda Vista on Ulric road (about a mile up from Mission Valley). Thai owned and all the employees are Thai, very good traditional Thai massages. It's right across the street from the fantastic Sab-e-Lee Thai resturant and on the same block as the Vietnamese market there (which is pretty good too).

Do they charge 150 baht / $5.00 per hour for a Thai massage? smile.png

Huh????

I hear you do not even have to pay for food in the US, you can get food stamps for free, and many do smile.png

Your critics are correct sir, and your argument is absurd. You are saying that you chose to move to the other side of the world, and were surprised that items like steel head trout cost significantly more? Are you serious?

We could go on and on, item by item, but the point is, when making a general statement that says living in California costs less than Thailand, well ... I am sorry, but the word "stupid" does come to mind.

I am happy that your little "ME ME ME" world is now complete and you can eat those foods you choose and drive the old beat up cars you like .. but no ... the general cost of living in California is so high, many are leaving it for other states ... our countries.

Enjoy your time in the USA. Please remember to lock your doors, be nice to people so they do not shoot you, and hold tight to your pride while man after man disrespects your woman.

Cheaper than Thailand. Absurd. They really nailed it ... if you move to the other side of the world but do not enjoy the local food, people, way of life ... that is really very fun and inexpensive ... you were wise to go back. Please, do not get your nose up in the air because you missed the boat and an amazing opportunity to enjoy a fabulous country, culture and people.

Before you argue with me, consider this, I am American, have visited 80% of the states, and lived for more than 3 years in each of the following: Boston, Dallas, San Francisco and Boulder, CO.

Bangkok is more expensive than San Francisco? I am weeping with laughter.

Do they charge 150 baht / $5.00 per hour for a Thai massage? smile.png

Of course not silly...

I do miss my 100 Baht Per hour Thai massages, but if you're in San Diego and want a Thai massage this is the place :)

As I have stated on several occasions, I have lived here my entire adult life, and have always found Thailand a wonderful place to live. We have spent a fair amount of time in Hawaii and exploring the scenic backroads and national parks of the western United States but I don’t really want to live there full time. I love the natural beauty but not the daily lifestyle.

I feel like I have more freedom to live life as I choose here in Thailand and have no desire to try and start over somewhere else, at this time in my life.

please do tell us what these nutritional products are?

And perhaps why you can't order them from anywhere in the world and have them shipped to Thailand... Anything I cannot find in Thailand that I really want or need, I can have shipped to me in less than a week...

I tried. They got stolen. Other times they wanted crazy fees. Other times they said cannot import unapproved nutritional supplements, which happens to be true.

Super Green Food is one. There are now many brands. Three or four times a day shaken up in quality yogurt.

Probiotics is another.

Quality yogurt with probiotics, and zero sugar.

CALM brand of magnesium. Absolutely essential to good health, magnesium deficiency is prevalent even in America, and very much so for those on the typical Thai diet. This was the cause of a number of things that were going on with me in the last few years in Thailand. In less than three weeks back in the States, all those symptoms disappeared.

Deficiency causes numerous conditions, some serious and even life threatening, all easily solved. If you have osteoporosis, don't bother taking that extra calcium the doctor prescribes, without the magnesium supplementation he usually doesn't. It will only make the condition worse. And the form of magnesium has to be the right one.

A quality multi-vitamin. Not the junk from the supermarket or GNC.

Protein powder. Way expensive in Thailand, and usually with artificial sweeteners. Here it s cheap and pure. Ironically, the one I use is from Australia, which has stringent laws covering its production.

Pharmaceutical grade, pure vitamin C. Five grams a day. The cost of vitamin C in Thailand is outrageous, and always has sugar in it.

And then there's organic foods. Hard to find in LOS. I lived down the street from a guy who had a big vegetable farm. A day or two before every harvest, he soaked his kale in insecticides. You can't just wash that off.

Absolutely not...

Im leaving on the 23rd of this month, and im not looking back.

The only thing i will miss here is...my gf for 5 years...i love her so much...

but this country has not been what i remembered it to be back in 1989.

I'll still take care of my gf....but this place can kiss my a**

Racist, watching and wanting your every move...piss off.

I'll move on to much better places, where they respect and consider firiegners who help contribute to their economy.

The Philippines and Vietnam, are now on my list.

As long as you avoid top tier US cities, I guess, that cost wise, the differences are negligible between Thailand and the U.S.

The U.S. wins out on such things as quality and variety in food ingredients, cheaper and better wine and dairy products and restaurant fare. And there are other things like parks, libraries (don't talk to me about The Kindle!), museums, some great local fairs, etc.

Having said that, I think the attractions of living in Thailand are more subtle, less tangible, less quantifiable. It depends on your temperament, and, living here also does something to your temperament. I kind of, but barely feel it when I'm swimming in it, but sorely miss it when I'm not.

That's my unhelpful contribution to this topic.

T

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it.

One thing that the USA does have is a legal/court system that protects the rights of women in the case of divorce. You should make sure your wife is aware of her rights in case, you know, things don't work out. Come to think of it, nevermind, she will figure it out soon enough.