want to leave contract early

crickets

Hi i have been offered a good job but i have to start next week. I have a contract with the school and agency until the end of the month. The last week of this school is just sitting in on the exams. My thai teacher wont give me permission to leave even though my teaching is finished and i have told her it will be a long time between jobs if i dont take it. My contract clearly states "that it is not covered by thai law". I think they dont want the teachers taking them to court as some did last year and won. What trouble can i get if i leave early other than no pay for the month? I am on a ed visa.

Sounds like you are working on an ED visa without a work permit. The ED visa was issued to take classes, not teach classes! Just because it states in your contract that the job is not covered by Thai law doesn't exempt them' Your are working in Thailand therefore the laws of Thailand apply no matter what the contract says.

I would just leave and start the new job but before you do I would insure that the new school helped you get the proper visa and work permit to allow you to work legally!

• Like 2

Sounds like you are working on an ED visa without a work permit. The ED visa was issued to take classes, not teach classes! Just because it states in your contract that the job is not covered by Thai law doesn't exempt them' Your are working in Thailand therefore the laws of Thailand apply no matter what the contract says.

I would just leave and start the new job but before you do I would insure that the new school helped you get the proper visa and work permit to allow you to work legally!

How do you "INSURE" against such things?

Before you start working I would at least see that the visa and work permit process is clearly defined in your contract including who pays for what and if they won't do that I wouldn't sign. There's no way to "Insure" that they will abide by the terms and conditions of the contract but at least you have something in writing, the verbal promises mean absolutely nothing.