Driving in Malaysia with Thai registered car

gerryBScot

Grateful thanks for the excellent information here about taking your motor across the border into Malaysia.

My query is if there is a limit on how many times you can drive over in a given period. It is possible I may start working in Malaysia later this year and I envisage a scenario where I may want to drive into Malaysia and back to Thailand three or four times in a six-month period and possibly stay in Malaysia up to three months at one time in the period.

Can anyone advise me on possibilities and likely difficulties? Many thanks

Interesting point - I think when you cross you get a specific period - As I've crossed only a few days at a time I've never paid it much attention - my guess would be one month - others have any idea?

There IS a limit for how long you can take a car out of Thailand - I believe that is 6 months.

i wonder if they would total up the amount of time a car has been out of the country before you are subject to import duty upon your return?

WHEN YOU GO TO MALAYSIA YOU CAN GET 30 DAYS,,BUT YOU CAN APPLY FOR 6MTHS..I made that mistake,i sold my car b4 I went thinking 30 day was max,,but later found out you can get a 6mth pass for you car,lost money selling my car bought one in Malaysia lost money when selling it to come bk here then had to buy again here,exspensive 6mths...

There is no limit to how many times you can cross the border with your car in a given period, it's more about how long you can keep the car out of the country at one time. As other posters have mentioned, that seems to be 6 months. Not sure if you would need permission from customs in Bangkok first, or if you can request 6 months at the border. If only 30 days at a time (even if you were to head back into Thailand just for an hour and then go back to Malaysia, repeating every 30 days) then you can do everything at the border.

Get your license plate translated to English at your local transport office, they will give you English version at border to stick on the vehicle, at the office just across the border.... letters will include the province from where you are from.... plus they will sell you insurance...

I thought Malaysia gave a three month VOA...?

THE FULL FACTS

I moved my business to Malaysia last year, after 20 years in Thailand, and several previous cross border trips.

Having been cheated 4 times in the Thai courts, (the assh**e giving free advice on tv was involved), I decided enough is enough.

1/On leaving Thailand, you have to sign a customs guarantee for the vehicle. It is valid for 30 days, and failure to return the form within that time results in a fine of 1,000Bht / day from Thai Customs. (max 10,000Bht)

2/MalaysianJPJ (Land Transport Dept.) sold me a 90 day ICP....International Circulation Permit. They are reluctant to give more than this at one time.

3/The ICL can be renewed by the JPJ Head Office in any state, but it may be easier to return to the border office.

4/Thai vehicles can remain in Malaysia for a maximun of 6 months in a 12 month period.

5/All formalities can be completed at an office (tent) in front of the JPJ office, on the right hand side of the road, once you have passed through M,alaysian Immigration,Sadao.This includes the compulsory 3rd party insurrance,

6/You can by a prepaid Smart Card at most Highway Toll Booths, which makes life much easier (Touch & Go)

7/Tourists from most western countries get a free 90 day Social Visit Pass from Immigration. For investment or Employment you need to get a Visa from an Embassy before going to the border.

• Like 1

Get your license plate translated to English at your local transport office, they will give you English version at border to stick on the vehicle, at the office just across the border.... letters will include the province from where you are from.... plus they will sell you insurance...

I wouldn't bother with the licence plates from your local DOLT.

i applied for them - they gave me a new purple book (not necessary) and after about 2 months the plates came (250 baht).

On arriving at Malaysia I was told they weren't any good. They'd translated the Thai lettering and then put the word "Thailand" along the bottom - it should have been the changwat.

Anyhow I got the black & white stickers made up there and then and put on the car - total cost including paperwork for temp importation of car was about 800 baht.

I also had a document that cites the basic information from the blue book - Certificate of Worthiness or something like that.

• Like 1

Make sure that your Thai insurance company covers you in Malaysia. AXA has been mentioned as allowing full ASEAN coverage for a moderate fee.

Third party is not worth the paper it is printed on. If something goes sideways, you want your A** covered.

I wouldn't bother with the licence plates from your local DOLT.

i applied for them - they gave me a new purple book (not necessary) and after about 2 months the plates came (250 baht).

On arriving at Malaysia I was told they weren't any good. They'd translated the Thai lettering and then put the word "Thailand" along the bottom - it should have been the changwat.

Anyhow I got the black & white stickers made up there and then and put on the car - total cost including paperwork for temp importation of car was about 800 baht.

I also had a document that cites the basic information from the blue book - Certificate of Worthiness or something like that.

I based my info when I did this about 3 or 4 years ago... (as found here on TV) But all I got was the translation, written on official paper, the English stickers were put on at the border....

I never had a purple book! But as for Insurance they will tell you at the Malaysian side that Thai Insurance does not cover things in Malaysia... so up to the OP or anyone else to check that...wink.png

Insurance - If I was staying a while in Malaysia, I'd upgrade my Malaysian insurance.

I did get cover from a Thai company for Laos but I have my doubts to its value.

I'd be interested to see what happens in the next few years as ASEAN kicks in, as insurance for cars in the EU was a huge problem as although they were legally obliged to cover owners, companies were just charging telephone numbers for anyone taking their car out of the country of origin.

Insurance - If I was staying a while in Malaysia, I'd upgrade my Malaysian insurance.

I did get cover from a Thai company for Laos but I have my doubts to its value.

I'd be interested to see what happens in the next few years as ASEAN kicks in, as insurance for cars in the EU was a huge problem as although they were legally obliged to cover owners, companies were just charging telephone numbers for anyone taking their car out of the country of origin.

I'd be curious too, but nothing official has been announced regarding changes to bringing cars across the border and insurance issues as a result of the AEC formation.

The only changes that I think may occur soon, probably sometime this year are as follows:

1. Myanmar. Thai cars should be permitted to enter Myanmar and travel to all non-restricted parts of the country without a tour and Myanmar insurance will become available at border checkpoints, at least those with Thailand. According to a rumor I heard over the last few weeks while travelling in Karen/Kayin State, this should occur sometime in the second half of this year. AEC 2015 may not necessarily be the only reason - Myanmar's eagerness to open up the country and the relatively good security situation since the change in government from a military one to a nominally civilian one in 2011 and the prospect of a nationwide ceasefire (with exception of northern Shan State, parts of Kachin State and areas near the Bangladeshi border where various conflicts have erupted again) mean that the country may finally open up for car based tourism without a tour.

2. Cambodia. Starting fairly soon, perhaps later this year, Cambodia and Thailand will likely implement a similar system to Laos, whereby an international transport permit is required to bring a vehicle across the border and likely insurance coverage will also be offered on the Cambodian side at all international border checkpoints. This in turn will also allow vehicles across at every crossing, rather than the random, haphazard system in place at the moment where informal agreements at some checkpoints allow vehicles across, but officially they can only travel in the border province they entered and without insurance coverage. On the other hand, commercial vehicles can only enter and exit at one checkpoint, namely Aran/Poipet, but as they are part of an official agreement they are covered by insurance (Thai insurance for Cambo vehicles and Cambo insurance for Thai vehicles).

Regarding the white "international plates" offered by the DLT with the "Thailand" lettering on the bottom, I have found these plates are next to useless.

First of all, no country that allows Thai cars in requires these plates to begin with. Only one, namely Malaysia, even requires any changes or additions to the Thai number plate but in the case of Malaysia what they require is an official translation of the Thai number plate, in the form of a sticker with a black background and white lettering, to conform with their own number plates to be stuck onto the car (front and back) because Malaysians can't read Thai.

Singapore. Since all Thai vehicles entering Singapore will have passed through Malaysia, there are no other requirements in place regarding number plate or registration issues. All foreign registered vehicles may need to purchase a toll collection unit when entering, but that's got nothing to do with where the vehicle is registered as not purchasing this unit may make it difficult to use many roads in Singapore and most local vehicles will also have these units installed.

Laos doesn't require anything, if you have an international transport permit and your documents are in order, you'll be let in. Some would argue that because Thai and Lao script are similar anyways, the Lao police, locals etc. can read your Thai number plate anyway, but that's not the point. The point is Laos doesn't require any additions to a Thai or other foreign number plate so the 250 Baht spent by individuals who I see driving their Thai cars in Laos with a "Thailand" number plate have just wasted their money. I also don't like the appearance of those number plates, which only show something like "1255 Thailand". If anything they should just show an English translation of the Thai number plate with province and on the side a Thai flag and nationality sticker with the "T" clearly shown.

Cambodia. Assuming the border crossing where you plan to cross allows Thai cars in, they will allow them in as they are. No need for any stickers, number plate changes or anything like that. All you need is the original owner's book and if required, a power of attorney to take the car across but those documents are essentially required by Thai customs to allow the temporary export of the vehicle, rather than the Cambodian side requiring them as they don't really care.

Myanmar. Only Thai number plates are fine, but at the moment only short term journeys near the border are allowed anyway, unless you go on a tour. Even if you go on a tour, you can enter the country as is - no need to affix any special plates.

China. If you can get in at all, which is generally on a tour, no need to affix any special plates as far as I'm aware. I've seen Lao plated vehicles driving in Yunnan province and they all had just their normal Lao plates attached. I've also seen pictures of Thai vehicles on caravan tours to China, which again have only had their Thai plates attached. Although I have read stories about how the Chinese authorities might give you a temporary number plate at the border to affix to your car, I have only ever seen this confirmed on Hong Kong and Macau registered vehicles entering the mainland and vice versa.

Vietnam. They probably won't let a Thai vehicle in anyway, but in 2012 I did see a Thai caravan tour driving in Vietnam for the first time and again, they only had their Thai plates.

So in short, those "international" Thailand number plates are a waste of time and money. Don't bother.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

THE FULL FACTS

I moved my business to Malaysia last year, after 20 years in Thailand, and several previous cross border trips.

Having been cheated 4 times in the Thai courts, (the assh**e giving free advice on tv was involved), I decided enough is enough.

1/On leaving Thailand, you have to sign a customs guarantee for the vehicle. It is valid for 30 days, and failure to return the form within that time results in a fine of 1,000Bht / day from Thai Customs. (max 10,000Bht)

2/MalaysianJPJ (Land Transport Dept.) sold me a 90 day ICP....International Circulation Permit. They are reluctant to give more than this at one time.

3/The ICL can be renewed by the JPJ Head Office in any state, but it may be easier to return to the border office.

4/Thai vehicles can remain in Malaysia for a maximun of 6 months in a 12 month period.

5/All formalities can be completed at an office (tent) in front of the JPJ office, on the right hand side of the road, once you have passed through M,alaysian Immigration,Sadao.This includes the compulsory 3rd party insurrance,

6/You can by a prepaid Smart Card at most Highway Toll Booths, which makes life much easier (Touch & Go)

7/Tourists from most western countries get a free 90 day Social Visit Pass from Immigration. For investment or Employment you need to get a Visa from an Embassy before going to the border.

While that covers the Malaysian end, how does one go about requesting more than 1 month out of the country from the Thai authorities? Can this be done at the border, or would it need to be requested at customs in say Bangkok, or the Land Transport Department? Although since this is more of a customs issue, I suspect customs is the place to contact, since customs are also the authority which extend temporary import permits of foreign registered vehicles, not the Land Transport Department, which is responsible for licencing and registration issues.

I would much rather get official permission to be able to export my car for say up to 6 months, rather than take the risk and be fined 10000 Baht upon returning after 30 days.

Im malaysian brought my car into Thailand paid 1200 to the customs in danok for 6 mnths with just copy of the car certificate and copy of my passport.......From thailand customs in thai allowed me through malaysian customs just asked me to fill in the form and i got only 30 days.... just my experience.......

• 3 years later...

I believe it is necessary to get the Thai Vehicle Registration Document ( Blue or Green Book ) translated into English.

I have been told this can be done from Hat Yai, but can this be done in Malaysia anywhere ?