Koh Tao murders: Foreign witnesses key to defense

webfact

Koh Tao murders: Foreign witnesses key to defense
By Coconuts Bangkok

suspects_0.jpg
Photo: Thai PBS

SAMUI: -- When two migrant workers from Myanmar go to trial in July for the murders of two British backpackers, their defense will depend on testimony from witnesses outside of Thailand, their defense team said.

Surapong Kongchantuk, one of the Lawyers Council of Thailand representatives defending Wai Phyo and Zaw Lin, said they can prevail in the much-awaited trial should a number of witnesses from the United Kingdom and Myanmar appear to testify.

“I am being optimistic about the case,” Surapong told Bangkok Post yesterday. “If we can get the foreign witnesses we want from Myanmar and the UK, then I am sure we will have enough evidence that will be very useful for the two suspects.”

The identity of specific witnesses the defense would like to call was not revealed, but it would likely include other Myanmar migrants who worked on the island – a numbe of which soon left claiming harassment and abuse by police. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/16/koh-tao-murders-foreign-witnesses-key-defense

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-02-16

• Like 1

freedom for them ! stop this mess !!

So - if you have evidence that they are innocent, please present yourself as a witness. wai.gif

I see this article as being one of two things

A genuine belief in their clients (don't they have to say that?) and they are looking for witnesses that have not come forward. But wait - if the witnesses have not come foreward, how does the defense team know what they are going to say?

or

it is a clever ploy to say that the witnesses were too frightened to help and that is the reason that we failed to 'get the defendants off'.

For my part - the water is so muddy that I have no idea who is to blame. The police mishandled parts of the investigation, witnesses have gone home. The reporting has been 'suspect' at best and the 'social media CSI teams' have said that it is a stitch-up with nothing but emotion to back that up.

Conspiracy theorists are having the time of their lives.

Sad for the defendants if they are innocent. just rewards if they are not.

Option 2 sounds about right to me.

• Like 1

the mafia is a big fish in a very small pond. the koh tao "family" has influence on a small insignificant island that I have yet to see why is actually popular...lets be honest, its a dump. but people keep flocking there for some sort of novelty and lining the pockets of small time thugs,

When did the dates for the trial change again? First December, then February now July? Any news from the British police who were going to give their word on their findings in February or was that just a wasted expedition?

I will try to read my magic ball and tell what will happen....by my small knowledge of the case:

1) If any blood from the victims were found on the suspects, not murder weapon had its digitalis, and not direct witness to the murder exist, these guy cannot be prosecuted for that crime.

2) If the DNA examples from the girl's body and the suspects match, were properly documented, and cannot be proved that were planted, these guys may be prosecuted only for rape, and jailed few years, and with the possibility of parole.

The Police will not lose face....just will be "reprimanded" for incompetence.

The suspects will get a short jail sentence, a lot better than be jailed or executed for murder.

Very strange, weird, and unfair way to close the case.

The truth of what really happens will remain a mystery.

So - if you have evidence that they are innocent, please present yourself as a witness. wai.gif

A genuine belief in their clients (don't they have to say that?) and they are looking for witnesses that have not come forward. But wait - if the witnesses have not come foreward, how does the defense team know what they are going to say?

or

it is a clever ploy to say that the witnesses were too frightened to help and that is the reason that we failed to 'get the defendants off'.

For my part - the water is so muddy that I have no idea who is to blame. The police mishandled parts of the investigation, witnesses have gone home. The reporting has been 'suspect' at best and the 'social media CSI teams' have said that it is a stitch-up with nothing but emotion to back that up.

If there were witnesses from the UK, we would have read about it already in a UK newspaper as soon as they got home, I do not believe for one minute there are witnesses, it is a smoke screen, and I believe the outcome is inevitable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I said it before , hard to believe that these two were able to over take the two Brits and not a scratch on them . Just think about that for awhile.

The Murdered male had defensive wounds on his hands from fighting for his life. but not a mark on these two.

During the doctors examines it is well documented that the two had NO Marks on them because they were examined by a doctor because they claimed being abused by the cops.

Meanwhile the head public prosecutor said his side will make a compelling case with 65 witnesses to testify against the men including police, witnesses and forensic investigators.

So where were these numerous witnesses on the days following the murders? If it all pointed to the B2 they would have been arrested around day 2, grassed up the locals. Sorry, it's fabrication, smoke and mirrors.

umbanda u r write.

So mutch money involve already,has media play key role in it and RTP can T loose the face because the PM already congradulate them at the beginning.

The time past,but we don t forget this case.

We all togeter got them by the balls.

time change,RTP never figure the powerful of media.

or

If there were witnesses from the UK, we would have read about it already in a UK newspaper as soon as they got home, I do not believe for one minute there are witnesses, it is a smoke screen, and I believe the outcome is inevitable.

Read post 16 above, from the Guardian re Brit police interviews. You might also want to consider that potential witnesses wouldn't want to incriminate themselves in any unlawful acts. Self preservation is a powerful motivation not to speak up, especially if it means returning to Koh Samui for the trial.

Consider also that David's DNA is not on the hoe, therefore it is not the murder weapon used on him (as portrayed in the re-enactment farce). In the absence of an alternative weapon, there is no direct link to him and the B2. Being at the crime scene (if proven beyond reasonable doubt) is not enough evidence to convict the B2 of HIS murder.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Another post lobbying for donations has been removed:

22) Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members, any charities must contact support for approval before joining to be approved. http://www.thaivisa.com/contact