Seeking Advice On Working In Chiang Mai

Juls

I've recently spent 5 days Chiang Mai and fell in love with the city. I have 6 months to spare before going to Australia and would like to spend my time there. How easy is it to find work? What is the average expected wage for teaching English? What are the school terms?

I have a basic 40 hour online TEFL course and spent 10 weeks teaching informal English at an after school project in Sri Lanka. I'm also a qualified children's drama teacher and have thought in Irish primary schools for 6 months last year before starting my travels. I would really appreciate if anyone can give me any help of advice.

:o

Juls

I've recently spent 5 days Chiang Mai and fell in love with the city. I have 6 months to spare before going to Australia and would like to spend my time there. How easy is it to find work? What is the average expected wage for teaching English? What are the school terms?

I have a basic 40 hour online TEFL course and spent 10 weeks teaching informal English at an after school project in Sri Lanka. I'm also a qualified children's drama teacher and have thought in Irish primary schools for 6 months last year before starting my travels. I would really appreciate if anyone can give me any help of advice.

:o

Juls

Hi, Juls, and welcome to Chiang Mai. You might want to check the Teaching in Thailand Forum on ThaiVisa, also.

Your timing is bad, since a big scandal has just erupted, related to teaching credentials of foreigners who teach English in Thailand. Also, Chiang Mai is notorious for paying poor wages to TEFLers. The second semester begins around November 1. Private language centers often hire new part-timers, starting between 200 to 250 an hour; sometimes higher.

Good luck. If caught working without a Work Permit, you could be in really big trouble. And it's unlikely you'll get a work permit.

.............I'm also a qualified children's drama teacher and have thought in Irish primary schools for 6 months last year before starting my travels.........................

:D

Juls

Hi Juls,

Just wondering what you were thinking about for 6 months in the Irish Primary schools. :o

Thoroughly recommend Australia, it's a wonderful country full of lovely gum (eucalyptus) trees with resident koalas. The original Blinky Bill once lived in gum tree.

.............I'm also a qualified children's drama teacher and have thought in Irish primary schools for 6 months last year before starting my travels.........................

Juls

Hi Juls,

Just wondering what you were thinking about for 6 months in the Irish Primary schools. :o

Thoroughly recommend Australia, it's a wonderful country full of lovely gum (eucalyptus) trees with resident koalas. The original Blinky Bill once lived in gum tree.

Now we know what's wrong with you, You're orstralian. :D

Juls

Hi Juls,

Crikey mate, took ya bloody time to figure that one out.....Sharp as bowling ball.

Hey, Hey, Blinky Bill you'll never catch him standing still,

Life is pretty boring till you've met Blinky Bill.

Hey, Hey, Blinky Bill our little mate from Green Patch hill

If you don't know him you soon will good old Blinky Bill.

Good on ya Blinky

Juls

Hi Juls,

Crikey mate, took ya bloody time to figure that one out.....Sharp as bowling ball.

Hey, Hey, Blinky Bill you'll never catch him standing still,

Life is pretty boring till you've met Blinky Bill.

Hey, Hey, Blinky Bill our little mate from Green Patch hill

If you don't know him you soon will good old Blinky Bill.

Good on ya Blinky

[/quote)

Hey BB you should write a little poem about all your associates on here , that would be fun reading

This is mine ..just for your ammusement :D

Hey hey Thai Poorly if his lung's not bad then it must be his knee,

He spends so much time in a hopital bed

His Wife has convinced herself that he's already dead

His picture adorns all hospital walls,

with various photos of recent falls

If THIS Man is admitted with a total seizure

then chuck him right out,, we'll recind his Visa

We do not want to see him no more

Even if it means us being poor

Coz we are not real Doctors , well only one

Lets try today to puncture his lung

If that dont kill him nothing will

and will certainly stop him from being ill

So if you see him on the street, and he is managing to walk on both his feet

Then shout 'Horray for Thai Poorly,the Doctor's favourite person

For it won't be the hospital today, just Denist for a crown insertion.

So that's a GOOD DAY :D

Hi,

I was offered work in CM a while back with less quals than the OP. 250b per hour - low wages as there is a lot of supply.

That said, as has been mentioned, the recent scandal could prove to be a real thorn in your side.

I'll Personal Message you the name of the school (maybe not wise to post it here as you never know who's reading)

James