Hua Hin no longer a safe holiday destination

Potter

A couple of nights ago, Friday to be precise. I stopped over in Hua Hin for 1 night. Between 11pm to 2am I went out for a couple of beers. I had a good time, no issues with anybody. I happy spend a 4 digit amount of money being generous to selced local people who sat with me. At 2am I decided to walk back to my hotel. I stayed in the farrang area, having been out to a farrang street. Walking down the street a motorbike comes up. 1 person slaps me in my face. I wonder whether he tried to knock me out and failed, or it was a jalous boyfriend. Has Hua Hin become an unsafe holiday destination?

someone who didnt fall into the ................................." selected local people" category must have been upset.

OR

Did you refuse the offer of a " selected local person" to walk you safely to your hotel and keep you safe for the night ?

Hua Hin is one of the safest cities in Thailand...during the day you play chess with the ex-pat chess club...or go fishing with the new fishing club...at night...no later than 9pm...you take your bottle of gin home with you...curl up next to a pillow and sleep well....

• Like 1

Hua Hin is probably the safest place in Thailand- it's not exactly a riot of clubs, bars, late night fights and sushi served off naked women - who did you upset?

Slapping is a bit of a lady boy trait- if they were serious would have been an iron rod or worse still one of those Ninja star thingies - don't believe this story.

Hua Hin is one of the safest cities in Thailand...during the day you play chess with the ex-pat chess club...or go fishing with the new fishing club...at night...no later than 9pm...you take your bottle of gin home with you...curl up next to a pillow and sleep well....

I believe you were being facetious; but I know several farangs who meet that description with rum, vodka or 285 possibly replacing gin; except the farangs I know have no time for chess or fishing.

I happy spend a 4 digit amount of money being generous to selced local people who sat with me.

Who selected these people? How many were there? Was your generosity dependent on them being generous to you? A 4 digit amount? Fifty baht and 50 satang is a 4 digit amount ... Baht 50.50.

Something tells me if your tale of woe in some imaginary "farrang" exclusive zone is anywhere near to being accurate, your definition of generosity and your choice of who was deigned to be a recipient of this largess upset someone. Not everyone in Thailand is on sale or waiting to be summoned.

Edited by Suradit69

Once or twice I have put money on the bar and told everyone the drinks are on me - last time was 5000Bht. I never had anyone ever be anything other than appreciative. Also, I have given Thai workers a bottle of scotch as a symbol of my appreciation for their help. I have never felt they were upset by that. I should point out that I can not join them in the drinking but they seem to understand that. I really like to see them have a good time and have always had them smile and wave or at least acknowledge me if I bump into them later. So now I am a bit worried that I am doing the wrong thing and may have upset someone. But I really have never thought that before this post. I have to say that I don't make a habit of it - once a year at my birthday (which is also at a festive time for Thai people).

• Like 1

Found it very safe, only the people have big problem to communicate . Not any massage woman say hello or recognize you in the main tourist road , same the are all mute, there was no intelgent communication also in the restaurant , finally the beach was also dirty full of horse s.. , for me I never visit hua him again!

Beautiful flowers everywhere are not enough!

I have lived in HH for 9 years and whilst I do feel safe here it is certainly not as safe as some posters are saying

In the 9 years I have had 2 separate instances of sneak thieves entering my home.

Virtually all my friends have been the victim of crime here ranging from sneak house thieves to house robberies to bag snatches in the street, these have happened to both Thai and Farang friends

We feel safe because the vast majority of crime here is not reported in the press thus creating a false sense of security, the reality is there is plenty of crime here

Unprovoked street attacks are pretty rare though, no idea why that happened to the OP but he must have upset somebody laugh.png

Edited by darrendsd

I have lived in HH for 9 years and whilst I do feel safe here it is certainly not as safe as some posters are saying

In the 9 years I have had 2 separate instances of sneak thieves entering my home.

Virtually all my friends have been the victim of crime here ranging from sneak house thieves to house robberies to bag snatches in the street, these have happened to both Thai and Farang friends

We feel safe because the vast majority of crime here is not reported in the press thus creating a false sense of security, the reality is there is plenty of crime here

Unprovoked street attacks are pretty rare though, no idea why that happened to the OP but he must have upset somebody laugh.png

Sure there is crime. But as a visitor staying in a hotel I feel pretty safe. All relative I guess but I grew up in Africa and compared to that, Thailand is a haven of peace.

Been to HH 5 or 6 times for holiday and never had a problem. Quite often stay out late and I have been approached a few times on the way back to hotel by ladyboys on mopeds. They ride up and say where you going I want to go with you.Never been attacked quite simple to say not interested thanks and walk on. May be a problem if you get too close, one tried to grab at me once.