Hua Hin no longer a safe holiday destination

Potter

Found it very safe, only the people have big problem to communicate . Not any massage woman say hello or recognize you in the main tourist road , same the are all mute, there was no intelgent communication also in the restaurant , finally the beach was also dirty full of horse s.. , for me I never visit hua him again!

Beautiful flowers everywhere are not enough!

"big problem to communicate"

Hmmm... not sure I fully understand your post, but why do you expect a massage lady to say hello to you when you pass her in the street? Do you also expect the guy from 7eleven to say 'hello'? Expecting an 'intelligent' conversation from restaurant staff. Do you expect the waiter/waitress at the restaurant to share their views on the threat posed by ISIS? These are people who interact with you in the course of their work. They should be friendly and professional in that context, but that's all you should expect of them. If you get more, then bonus for you ... but you shouldn't be critical if you don't. These people are just doing their job.

• Like 2

a four digit amount of money, you frickin' rock star.

where i come from chatting up the wrong woman often results in more than slap.

unsafe holiday destination - perhaps a slight exaggeration.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

If you ask most Thais they will tell you HH is a dangerous place, especially for females

My Thai friend, a lady, goes there every month, and she has never had anything happen.

I have been to a lot of places in the world and nothing has happened to me either but that does not mean that crime does not happen

If you speak to a lot of the Westerners that have lived in HH for a long time most if not all will be able to tell you about various instances of crime that has happened to them or people they know

A small number of instances over the last few years.

A guy walking on Soi 94 in broad daylight hit so hard from behind with a motorcycle helmet that he lost a eye, the robbers stole his rucksack which contained his gym kit.

A Thai woman had her bag snatched on Petchkasem Road, she wouldn't let go and was dragged down the road resulting in injuries meaning it took her a year to walk again

A Hilton Hotel resident spiked in his hotel room and died as a result of the spiking

I could go on and on,

The point is whilst it is safe here it's not as safe as some people like to think or are blissfully unaware

Edited by darrendsd

I would never say there was no crime in Hua Hin; I do not think such places exist. But again: compared to some places I have been, I do not exactly very threatened. And I will now probably get mugged when I am there next weekbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

If you ask most Thais they will tell you HH is a dangerous place, especially for females

I hate to disagree but I think it is safe to say that of all the holiday destinations that this country has to offer, hua hin is the safest and most convenient town by far for a forigner to live in

there are no gogo bars, no real maffia, no yaa baa trade like in Pattaya, Bangkok, Samui and Phuket

there is an enormous amount of police, perhaps the highest per capita of Thailand, as well as army personnel and special forces (Param 6 in cha'am) that stay there permanently because of the King's living in Hua Hin

in contrast, nearby Cha'am has the highest burglary rate per capita of Thailand yet I live here for more than 8 years and feel incredibly safe

Of course it also matters how you perceive things around you.

Edited by luckyman

My Thai friend, a lady, goes there every month, and she has never had anything happen.

Most Thais wouldn't say that Hua Hin is unsafe. Most haven't been there.

I have Thai friends who are in Hua Hin very often. They describe it as very safe. I lived there in the past and would describe it as very safe.

As a holiday destination it's pretty innocuous. As safe as anywhere in Thailand and safer than some places.

Living there is a little different if you own property. It's the only place we have property where we regularly hear about break-ins and the only place where some-one tried to enter our house. Physical attacks are rare though. Even the murder of a couple about three years ago.

Jerry

• Like 1

The street runs between #4 and the railway. It starts not far from burger king. I consider this street a farrang street with many forreigners going out, while a karaoke bar I would consider Thai area. Maybe it is soi 80 yes.

I have been to HH a couple of times, but never stayed long. Never had any psysical issues for my 15 years in Thailand. I spend most time in the north. For most physical interferences, there have been some hard words in between. It was not the case here.

The girls were pretty, not old, good looking, and they looked like they enjoyed being drunk. I was generous to a couple of staff. Other staff or persons did not request anything.

The more I think about it. If somebody had really wanted to hurt me or knock me out, I would have been hit even harder. I am guessing it was a jalous boyfriend or somebody who liked 1 of the staff. From this thread I get the understanding HH is a safe destination. However, I do not feel like going back here anytime soon. Anyways, they did not have reasoning for what happened, so I do hope it does not happen often.

Before returning to my hotel, I did talk a little with the motorbike taxi drivers on the corner of the big road. They did say that sometimes farrang fights with Thai. This case was not a fight. They drove off.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2015 at 11:38 AM, pinkpanther99 said:

I have lived in Hua Hin for the past 18 months.

Where exactly is the 'farang area' and where is the 'farang street'? First I've heard of either of these places.

I wouldn't say Hua Hin is any more or less dangerous than anywhere else in Thailand.

In the time I've lived here I've never had one iota of trouble and I certainly wouldn't describe Hua Hin as being an 'unsafe holiday destination'.

Then again, seldom am I out alone walking the streets at 2am in the morning. At that time of night, it'd be wise to have your wits about you - I'd take the same approach when walking the streets of Bangkok, London, New York or anywhere else in the world at the time of night. You'd be naive to think otherwise in my opinion.

That's the world we live in unfortunately.

Did you report the assault to the police?

I walk around Pattaya and BKK in the early hours. It far safer than the UK which has a, rising violent crime rate involving acid and knives. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, spidermike007 said:

No. Hua Hin is not dangerous. Not at all. Sure, there are always fools running about. But someone slapping you in the face, is barely the face of danger. Not like a 13 year old pulling a 9mm on you in broad daylight in Rio. Or a punk robbing, and beating you viciously in the PI, which is not uncommon. Thailand is still quite safe for foreigners. Most of the violence is Thai on Thai. Lets keep it that way! 

The biggest danger in Hua Hin, is contracting an STD, or getting mowed down on Phetkasem, as a pedestrian. 

But if you do a Google search HH seems to have a disproportionately high number of murdered farang expats compared to other places where was eventually found that it was the wife, a member of the wife's family or the wife's secret lover that had a hand in it.

44 minutes ago, The manic said:

I walk around Pattaya and BKK in the early hours. It far safer than the UK which has a, rising violent crime rate involving acid and knives. 

Crime stats are always complex and can sometimes paint seemingly conflicting pictures, most importantly they rely on good consistent data with consistent definitions of specific crimes. Often people compares 'apples and oranges' rather than like v like crimes.

Most people will always have the perception that crime is rising regardless of the true facts. Tabloid media and flippant statements contribute to that perception. Whilst it's true that violent crime has increased in the last few years in the UK, it is less prevalent than it was over 10 years ago and there has been a huge decrease in violent crime since the mid 90s - generally a reduction in the range of 50-60%! The peak was 1995.

So both in absolute number of violent crime offences and more especially proportionate to the population - (usually measured per 100k), i.e.. the pop has grown in 20 years - the UK is much safer now than it was 20 years ago. (That basic general statement is also true of the US, Canada & Australia to name a few). Robbery and theft numbers have had huge decrease in the last 15 years. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/june2017

Which is not to say that violent crime and specific types of violent crime are not a concern in specific areas. 

Lastly, knife/sharp object offences increased in the UK by 26% from 2016 to 2017. Some of this is attributed to greater police  searches/vigilance and a wider scope of criminal definition than previous years. Yes, knives are a problem especially in metro London but it has to be said that when discussing weapons used in violent crime against the person a knife is preferable to a gun. The UK is much, much safer than the US on that point - just compare both countries homicide rates.

At the extreme end you can be stabbed multiple times and survive. The chances of being shot multiple times and surviving are significantly less if not nil.

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1

I have just arrived in HH. I am staying in a small hotel in soi 57, Dechanuchit Road.

Just around the corner in Narbkehardt Road, I saw the following sign. The owner must have experienced lots of trouble in the past:

AE4BDAE7-4D98-41FD-B9B6-A00017BE9028.jpeg

In English, which says a lot: home of a local farang nutter I would guess. There are  one or two of these in most towns of any size in Thailand. Someone to stay away from!

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

The whole country is dangerous. Don't matter where you go. Stayed and worked in Hua HIn 20 years ago, no worries and had a good time. But that has all changed, this country has changed, a dangerous place.

When someone asked about holiday in Thailand, I tell them better go elsewhere. Lived in Malaysia for 3 years never had any problem and quite safe.

Edited by uffe123

21 hours ago, wordchild said:

In English, which says a lot: home of a local farang nutter I would guess. There are  one or two of these in most towns of any size in Thailand. Someone to stay away from!

I suspect silver sea is mostly joking.

He likely doesn't even own a firearm.

• Like 1

What I did not like in hua hin was the dirty beach and the fact that all restaurant stuff was mute when I enter a restaurant the not say hello the not say good bye the give the menu card to me same like a mute person I never seen this kind of ignorance in another place in thailand !

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

All I can remember from Hua Hin or a nearby beach from 42 years ago is a little hotel that had a baby elephant.  He would roam freely about and steal the fruit for the guests off the front desk in the lobby. I smacked his trunk, but you know how youths are.  And they had those little crabs on the beach that ran like the wind.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I got attacked by a dog once in Hua Hin.
Lived in Pattaya over 2 years never had a problem with anything or anyone 24/7.
So, I think Pattaya is safer. ?

I stubbed my toe while walking in Pattaya, I reckon Hua Hin is much safer, as this never happened while I was there.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1