Hua Hin no longer a safe holiday destination

Potter

On 2/17/2015 at 12:53 PM, hanno said:

I do not go out late but I have never had problems in my numerous visits to Hua Hin. And just because you got slapped, the town is no longer safe??

Where is "Farang Street" so I cana void it?

I guess he means the road where all farang restaurants are. But it looks like he's answered his own question already.

Spent "relatively" a lot of money in a short period of time, a guy from one of the places he's visited thought he could make a fast baht, but somebody else was nearby.

Or he screwed a Thai guys girl, grabbed her under her skirt and the guy, her brother, was watching him. Sorry, but I've experienced such behavior a few times from people who usually live in Pattaya and believe that all females are easy targets. 

He must have done something wrong, I'd think. 

Edited by jenny2017

It is called "Happy slapping" and started in the UK many years ago. I got  "happy slapped" one afternoon sitting outside a bar which the lads on motorbikes and my drinking buddies found highly amusing. I would imagine they get more points for who they slap and where they are.

stevehhd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been going to Hua Hin for years now. Never had an issue there. Like most places in Thailand, it is relatively safe. There is always the chance of running into a moron, like you did. Too bad you did not have the good sense to knock him off of his bike, though I am sure it happened pretty fast, and was hard to see coming. A lesson might have been learned, though it could easily have escalated into something ugly. Though few of us like getting slapped, it is nothing like Brazil, Mexico, or nearly anywhere in Central America these days. More likely to get held up at gunpoint than slapped. 

It was just a moronic goon. Forget about it. Hua Hin is a nice town. 

I come from Los Angeles.

I live in Hua Hin. It is very boring. I drive around sometimes all night on my scooter. Nothing ever happens. no where to eat after 10pm. Use ATM 3am. no problem.  Go to Thai night clubs. Nothing. sometimes cops looking for drunk drivers. Some fights made the news, the bombings. someone got bit by a shark. there was a oil slick. most of the small hotels don't have permits. no one can sell their house.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

wait. last night at the super dangerous :cheesy::clap2:Baan Khun Por Food Market there was a great Thai cover band that did N.I.B. by Black Sabbath. They were great.

I sit with my back up against the wall so no dangerous people can sneak up on me.:cheesy:

Edited by NCC1701A

On 4/5/2018 at 6:10 PM, uffe123 said:

The whole country is dangerous. Don't matter where you go. Stayed and worked in Hua HIn 20 years ago, no worries and had a good time. But that has all changed, this country has changed, a dangerous place.

When someone asked about holiday in Thailand, I tell them better go elsewhere. Lived in Malaysia for 3 years never had any problem and quite safe.

...lived in Bangkok nearly 20 years. Never had a problem. Feel safe....

• Like 1

On 2/17/2015 at 9:15 PM, ggt said:

Hua Hin is one of the safest cities in Thailand...during the day you play chess with the ex-pat chess club...or go fishing with the new fishing club...at night...no later than 9pm...you take your bottle of gin home with you...curl up next to a pillow and sleep well....

You forgot to mention the pussy cat didn't pick up any on the way back?

On 9/5/2018 at 8:46 PM, madusa said:

I may be wrong. Thais especially younger generation (17 to 45 yr old) would do something to you when they perceive you have done them wrong or perceive a threat(verbal or visual) from you. Whether they have perceived wrongly doesn't really matter much to them.

I had some bad thing done to me and I spent 2 nights in police lockup , too long here to go into details. He could have talked to me and we could have solved the problem. But I guess if he were to approach me to talk to me to solve the problem he would perceive it as a loss of face on his part.

After that bad experience I became careful when dealing with Thais in case they perceive wrongly my words or actions. Not to make them loose face is always important especially in public or in front of their friends, family or peers. Never forget that. I am not sure about other South East Asians. example Vietnamese, or Indonesians do they also have such psychotic illness? Yes, it's a form of psychotic illness. No cure for it because it's embedded in the neurons.It's in their genes. I really would like to write a book called "Everybody wears a mask in Thailand". It would be a fun book to read otherwise nobody will buy it. A small book you can put in your cargo pants.It will enlighten the Farang and at the same time puncture their ego it will also point out the shortcoming of the Thai culture and the country reluctant to see their own faults.

nail on the head , you got it ! to be kind I call it immaturity... but you are correct. 

Yes great point, also worth to note that it seems its similar attitude throughout Asia not just Thailand.

Being 'brutally honest' doesn't do you the same favours in Thailand as it would do if you were in Europe or USA.

Savings one face is more important than being honest and unfortunately that's the way it will always be.

That's also why i never take a 'yes' as 100% confirmation from a Thai, as this can easily change depending how that decision effects that person socially and how they are then seen within their community.

• 1 month later...
I have been robbed at gunpoint in Hua Hin (very large calibre “Saturday night special” most likely a single shotgun cartridge) 11 pm about 100 metres from the Hilton.

I have also had to run in quickly from my hotel balcony at 5 am when about 15 shots rang out in the small soi I was in (where Tanawit hotel is) and 3 Thai’s died. Two at the scene and one next morning in hospital. 

Crimes are VASTLY under recorded in Hua HIn and despite the death toll no one I spoke to in the bars the next day had heard anything about it at the time. 3 dead even in Pattaya would have been front page news.

When I was robbed I did go to the police station and attempt to report it. Total waste of time. Despite being sat down in front of an officer behind a desk who was ready to listen to what I had to say, as soon as he realised I was there to report something that would tarnish Hua Hin’s image, he turned as cold as ice, though polite at all times.

A few minutes of trying to get rid of me with no report being made only to be followed by a “you come back at 8 o clock morning to make report” which I have no doubt at all would have been another waste of time.

Even sillier was all the stuff I had heard about Hua Hin being "KIngs town so very safe” etc etc before I got robbed and then, as soon as I started telling people about the robbery, it seemed like almost everyone I spoke to knew someone who had had a problem of some kind or another. Much advice about not being out too late as can be dangerous etc.

One Brit bar owner who had told me on more than one occasion that it was so safe there then actually told me how he and his girl friend were robbed of a gold chain by 4 thugs who forced their motor bike to stop on the way home one night

The stories of crime seemed endless once the locals realised I wasn’t brainwashed anymore by the fairy tales of how safe it is there.

House burglaries are as commonplace it seems, as in Pattaya.

Yes, I know many farangs have lived there for 100 years and never had a problem but once you have one you will get to hear about a lot more. Late at night seems the trigger (as usual, of course)

I have visited 72 Thai provinces (first visited here in about 1994) and have lived in Pattaya for very many years and, touch wood, despite walking anywhere I choose even at 5 am I have never had the slightest problem anywhere else, though many people have, of course, especially in Pattaya. 

Most of Thailand, even Pattaya as a rule, is still far safer for us farangs than even UK cities these days but just don’t be fooled by Hua HIn’s whiter than white image is all I am saying or it may bite you badly one night when you aren’t expecting it.

Simon

Edited by Simon1287
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 8:46 PM, madusa said:

I may be wrong. Thais especially younger generation (17 to 45 yr old) would do something to you when they perceive you have done them wrong or perceive a threat(verbal or visual) from you. Whether they have perceived wrongly doesn't really matter much to them.

I had some bad thing done to me and I spent 2 nights in police lockup , too long here to go into details. He could have talked to me and we could have solved the problem. But I guess if he were to approach me to talk to me to solve the problem he would perceive it as a loss of face on his part.

After that bad experience I became careful when dealing with Thais in case they perceive wrongly my words or actions. Not to make them loose face is always important especially in public or in front of their friends, family or peers. Never forget that. I am not sure about other South East Asians. example Vietnamese, or Indonesians do they also have such psychotic illness? Yes, it's a form of psychotic illness. No cure for it because it's embedded in the neurons.It's in their genes. I really would like to write a book called "Everybody wears a mask in Thailand". It would be a fun book to read otherwise nobody will buy it. A small book you can put in your cargo pants.It will enlighten the Farang and at the same time puncture their ego it will also point out the shortcoming of the Thai culture and the country reluctant to see their own faults.

Face is no doubt, the greatest form of weakness, a human can engage in. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up, or to take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, a man or woman is made to be a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 6:10 PM, uffe123 said:

The whole country is dangerous. Don't matter where you go. Stayed and worked in Hua HIn 20 years ago, no worries and had a good time. But that has all changed, this country has changed, a dangerous place.

When someone asked about holiday in Thailand, I tell them better go elsewhere. Lived in Malaysia for 3 years never had any problem and quite safe.

Well, guess what, I've lived in Thailand 9 years and never had a problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, madusa said:

... I really would like to write a book called "Everybody wears a mask in Thailand". It would be a fun book to read otherwise nobody will buy it. A small book you can put in your cargo pants.It will enlighten the Farang and at the same time puncture their ego it will also point out the shortcoming of the Thai culture and the country reluctant to see their own faults.  ...

I recently bought a number of copies of this book and have been handing them out.  (Seriously.)  It's a lot of blank pages.  You could write a book inside it.

image.jpeg.2c490d1c3367487caef13cf56b2cd2a9.jpeg  image.jpeg.3708b2ac27cfeb09fb7005eb4d02fb0b.jpeg

• Haha 1