DSI Seize 68,800 Square Meters of State Land Unlawfully Owned by a Businessman in Samui

Lite Beer

DSI Seize 68,800 Square Meters of State Land Unlawfully Owned by a Businessman in Samui

KOH SAMUI: -- On February 14, Ms. Suwanna Suwanjutha, Director-general of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) along with Pol.Lt.Col. Prawut Wongsrinil, Chief of the DSI’s Consumer Protection and Environment Office gave a statement on the result of state land invasion suppression in Samui, Surat Thani.

They stated that DSI police had prosecuted Mr. Lawrence James Fey, owner of Sabaidee Thani Project which consists of 14 villas and a condominium project located in the area next to the beach of Laem Mai Kaen in Koh Samui. The land used by the project belongs to the state, the title deeds were unlawfully issued to Mr Fey who was further prosecuted due to real estate being a prohibited business for alien residents according to Foreign Business Act B.E. 2542.

Therefore, Criminal Court adjudged that Mr. Fey, Sabai Property Co.,Ltd and the 6 companies that are affiliated with Mr. Fey be fined 1,700,000 baht and that Mr. Frey be imprisoned for 4 years. However, Mr. Frey’s sentence was reduced to 850,000 baht fine and 2 years suspended sentence after he confessed to the crimes.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-02-17

This case might have implications for a lot of developers on Samui,The villas that they are talking about are I assume the ones on the peninsula that juts out into the sea opposite Replay condominiums,The villas that were not cheap were bought mainly by foreigners,now that the land has been seized by the State does that mean that the people who bought these villas either on long lease or land title automatically lose their houses?

• Like 1

Wow... So someone sold him the land illegally and he gets nailed.

He must have known that farang cannot own land. Ignorance of the law etc......
farangs cannot, companies can
The OP clearly states that the land was illegally owned by a businessman not a company and that the title deeds were issued to Mr Fey not a company. Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

I hope we also hear a report about those who issued the deeds unlawfully being arrested and put into jail.

It will never happen!

There has been quite a few officials being recolated to "inactive" posts since the coup. Many in the forestry department and many in the police. There's hope! I hope...55555

• Like 1

Wow... So someone sold him the land illegally and he gets nailed smile.png Always do due diligence search on any property.... Wonder how many Thais are sitting on illegal land with no worries about getting busted ?

They should be having a look at a certain guy who is residing in a Suratthani temple. See if his family have returned the government land on Samui that they have taken.

lets find out who the lawyer was [so we can avoid them]

and the tessabahn must have issued building permits

he must have been prosecuted as company director because foreigners cannot own land in thier name

will the state honour any legal lease thats been done ?

further prosecuted due to real estate being a prohibited business for alien residents

​just about all real estate agents on samui are foreigners ????

• Like 1

I hope we also hear a report about those who issued the deeds unlawfully being arrested and put into jail.

For those of us there 04/06 are fully aware what was going on and is unlikely any action will be taken. The real losers here are the unsuspecting purchasers.

• Like 2

Someone didn't get their cut,

and the Bandido's bikers were at one time considered connected to all this,

So there was a international political level in it, tagged as guilt by association.

so Fey is the sacrificial lamb hung out to dry. They had to have something to show

for all the tough talk and arrests and quiet releases, and yada yada yada, they announced.

SOP land transaction style; till some local got threatened by what they saw as

disrespect, lack of kow tow, or a too small slice for themselves, and decided to kick it upstairs.

7 years later not much happens. 43 rai or 17 acres changes hands back.

Less than my backyard growing up.

• Like 1

Wow... So someone sold him the land illegally and he gets nailed smile.png Always do due diligence search on any property.... Wonder how many Thais are sitting on illegal land with no worries about getting busted ?

You don't think he knew it was an illegal deal?? Of course, he did.

Wow... So someone sold him the land illegally and he gets nailed.

He must have known that farang cannot own land. Ignorance of the law etc......
farangs cannot, companies can
The OP clearly states that the land was illegally owned by a businessman not a company and that the title deeds were issued to Mr Fey not a company.

Clearly stating something is not the same as clearly stating the truth. Do you always have such blind faith in all you read? Especially on an internet forum?

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

I do not make up things that are not there. We have to take the article as written unless someone has evidence to the contrary that can be substantiated. Or are we to allow TV to be just a rumour mill?

Edited by PoorSucker
removed tangled quotes

just the strat i think was in koh chnag 6 months ago and they had those forestry guys there with the army type looking guys checking and mesureing resorts they closed down couple bars that had been extended without permission so i was told by thai bar worker maybe more to come and those who have invested thair life saveing in resorts and bars may now be thinking oh dear what have i got into

They should be having a look at a certain guy who is residing in a Suratthani temple. See if his family have returned the government land on Samui that they have taken.

You obviously have proof of this and not just barstool hearsay.

If you feel so strongly (and of course can prove it) why don't you report him.

Of course if you have no proof then why are you writing about it?

• Like 1