Got Sober in Thailand

philo

Thank you for all the positive posts. If I can go some 3 weeks and a few days more, I will have 3 years without alcohol rolleyes.gif . Lucky me.

To my friend ThaiPauly: Hope you can do and stick to the moderate drinking. If alcohol doesn't get too hard on the brain and the liver, I guess one can drink till one dies of (a bit shortened) old age. Most nonalcoholic drinkers probably do. Regrettably, civilized drinking was impossible for me.

Anyway - I'll report after Songkran wai2.gif

• Like 1

Thank you for all the positive posts. If I can go some 3 weeks and a few days more, I will have 3 years without alcohol rolleyes.gif . Lucky me.

To my friend ThaiPauly: Hope you can do and stick to the moderate drinking. If alcohol doesn't get too hard on the brain and the liver, I guess one can drink till one dies of (a bit shortened) old age. Most nonalcoholic drinkers probably do. Regrettably, civilized drinking was impossible for me.

R

Hi Philo,

I don't do moderate drinking anymore,I quit altogether some time ago now. I don't go to meetings, and I am doing just fine,very contented with my lot. Health was the main reason I quit,I have a great life and still have a great many friends that are in the fellowship.

Take care.

TP

• 3 weeks later...

....'course, life without alcohol ( and that's alcohol use at ANY stage of one's 'career'), is so much better, so could be viewed as slightly ironic that we have to, grit out teeth, steel ourselves, etc etc , in order to arrive in a much better place-the power of attachment is formidable....

Well ... Songkran is here - with its usual alcohol fuelled carnage. I now have 3 years since my last beer on the first day of Songkran 2012.

In one sense I would give my left arm if I could drink. But I know too well that it would take me to a place where I would beg for the right one to be cut off in order to stop.

Hence I have no plans that includes drinking. And if I am aware of the daily dangers of unplanned drinking, I will die sober. Hopefully - so be it.

It is all in the mind. Being born and growing up sober, we end up not being able to imagine life without alcohol. Some drink themselves through unfathomable horror until death release them - some commit suicide because it is a better option than continuing drinking or trying to stop. This is - imo - the true face of alcohol. I am grateful I got out alive.

• Like 2