Strange Experience at Nana McDonalds

dbrenn

After having a few beers a friend in Nana, I was feeling hungry, that ravenous kind of hunger that only a McDonalds Samurai pork burger with large fries could satisfy.

I headed straight for the McD restaurant opposite the Landmark, the one between Soi 3 and Soi 5. To my utter dismay, when I looked at the menu behind the serving counter, my favourite Samurai pork burger was nowhere to be seen. When I asked the lady serving me why this should be so, she replied "No pork on the menu. This is a MUSLIM zone!"

With some surprise, I remarked that Thailand is a Buddhist country, and that I wasn't a Muslim, and with that I walked out.

I then walked to the McD near Asoke, where at last I could satisfy my craving for a Samurai pork burger.

I wonder how all the good Muslims would feel about McD taking it upon themselves to declare one of the world's most notorious red light districts a "Muslim zone".

• Like 1

did they have a double quarter pounder with cheese? still havent seen one of those since I left the homeland.

carl's jr makes up for it however. More expensive yes, better , hell yes IMO.

I had one of those samurai pork thingys by mistake once - never again.

did they have a double quarter pounder with cheese? still havent seen one of those since I left the homeland.

Quarter pounders were discontinued years ago, which was a shame because they were one of my favourites too. The nearest you can get to that now is a double cheese burger.

• Like 1

"Quarter pounders were discontinued years ago".

Everywhere or just Thailand? As far as I know, they never had them here. It still pisses me off that they don't have pancakes at breakfast time, like every other country that I have been to.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

"Quarter pounders were discontinued years ago".

Everywhere or just Thailand? As far as I know, they never had them here. It still pisses me off that they don't have pancakes at breakfast time, like every other country that I have been to.

Hmmm - you've got me thinking, but I'm pretty sure that they were available here. It would be more than 15 years ago though, if my memory serves me correctly.

Not keen on pancakes myself, but I must confess to sausage and egg McMuffin cravings every now and then.

We've finally found a person that eats at McDonalds Thailand

"A person"???

With branches in every town and city, I'd say that I'm not alone smile.png

People who deny liking McD can usually be found having a sneaky one when nobody is watching. I should know - I'm one of those people.

• Like 2

You clearly don't get out much otherwise you would have seen the queues at McDonalds.

Majority of customers are Thai.

I guess this Arab area is just catering to supply and demand.

Arab area? Sure there are Arabs around but the majority of people around that area look Thai or western.

You clearly don't get out much otherwise you would have seen the queues at McDonalds.

Arab area? Sure there are Arabs around but the majority of people around that area look Thai or western.

I am sure Samran will be along to enlighten us as to why this is acceptable / normal / a market decision / fill in the blanks....lol

Well I admit I was dragged into one recently by my daughter. But, the number of items on the menu is like less than a quarter of what you could buy at any McDonalds in the US. Basically all they have in thailand is just burger fries and coke.

Seems like it's more popular to sit and do your homework there than it is to eat their food.

Edited by Time Traveller

Quarter pounders were discontinued years ago, which was a shame because they were one of my favourites too. The nearest you can get to that now is a double cheese burger.

There is another non-muslim McD that is closer to Soi Nana than the one at Asoke, it is situated directly left when you exit Soi Nana onto Sukhumvit, inside the petrol station.

I've had coffee at McCafe, Does that count?

Well, I guess it's a business decision. McDonalds is originally known as a beef hamburger restaurant anyway. I guess some Muslims won't eat at a restaurant if there is any pork at all served.

This made me curious about what McDonald's India serves in terms of beef. I didn't see any beef but their McSpicy Paneers look tempting!

http://www.mcdonaldsindia.com/menu.html

http://www.indiamarks.com/what-you-can-and-cant-get-at-mcdonalds-india/

There’s No Beef or Pork in Any McDonald’s in India

It is interesting that these menu decisions are made on a micro neighborhood level. I would expect it for different country policies.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Loads.

Stayed near the soi 3 junction last week and the missus commented how the area had grown (with Arabs) and more and more places were catering for them.

The whores standing opposite the Landmark, and the 2 khatoey massage joints, seemed to be targeting Arabs.

Well, I guess it's a business decision. McDonalds is originally known as a beef hamburger restaurant anyway. I guess some Muslims won't eat at a restaurant if there is any pork at all served.

This made me curious about what McDonald's India serves in terms of beef. I didn't see any beef but their McSpicy Paneers look tempting!

Theres No Beef or Pork in Any McDonalds in India

It is interesting that these menu decisions are made on a micro neighborhood level. I would expect it for different country policies.

why do ppl always have to bend over backwards for muslims?

• Like 2

I was in the McDs at Robinson Asoke and this westerner next to me said " Are you going to buy me a burger then?"

Err...No.

Thing is he was a bloke in his 40s and quite presentable. Not some dreadlocked crustie or whatever.

I was in the McDs at Robinson Asoke and this westerner next to me said " Are you going to buy me a burger then?"

Err...No.

Thing is he was a bloke in his 40s and quite presentable. Not some dreadlocked crustie or whatever.

That wasn't me. I was the guy sitting down and eating my Samurai pork burger with a frustrated look on my face smile.png

• Like 2

There is another non-muslim McD that is closer to Soi Nana than the one at Asoke, it is situated directly left when you exit Soi Nana onto Sukhumvit, inside the petrol station.

I'll bear that in mind - thanks.

i admit that i nearly had one. it was during/around Eid in karachi about 15 years ago, when everything was closed for 4 days and i couldnt find anything to eat. but just as i was approaching to go inside, i spotted an open pakistani restaraunt and so was saved. it was really close shave there.

• Like 1

Of course, for many years McDonald's did serve beef product to Hindus in India. The fries were flavoured with beef fat. They owned up in 2001 and stopped the practice.

Of course, for many years McDonald's did serve beef product to Hindus in India. The fries were flavoured with beef fat. They owned up in 2001 and stopped the practice.

Yeah the webpage makes a big deal about the fries being veggie.

Theres No Beef or Pork in Any McDonalds in India

why do ppl always have to bend over backwards for muslims?

they are working on their flexibility, its a reflex action from bending over forward for the UncleSam

never came here i believe as locals don't eat beef? hence why bk, carls and others have opened here as well - selling beef to people who don't eat it.

locals do eat beef, out of my 12 staff only 1 doesn't eat beef, all others don't care.