Advice On Teaching In Chiang Mai

Juls

I've recently spent 5 days Chiang Mai and fell in love with the city. I have 6 months to spare before going to Australia and would like to spend my time there. How easy is it to find work? What are the school terms? What is the average expected wage for teaching English?

I have a basic 40 hour online TEFL course and spent 10 weeks teaching informal English at an after school project in Sri Lanka. I'm also a qualified children's drama teacher and have thought in Irish primary schools for 6 months last year before starting my travels. I would really appreciate if anyone can give me any help or advice.

Thanks,

Juls

Good luck, Juls. It's not too hard to find a poor paying, illegal job with bad working conditions. It's very difficult to find a good, legal job.

The second semester begins about 1 November, and the school year begins around mid-May. Usually, nobody knows exact dates in advance.

Expected wages? Do you have a bachelor's degree? Your TEFL course was online, and as you say, it's "basic." I think you might be lucky to find a 25K/month job, for ten or eleven months, starting in mid-May. You might get work between 225 and 275 baht per hour in a language center. You might get lucky.

It's extremely unlikely that you'll be legal. And at ThaiVisa, we always advise against that, which for beginning English teachers, usually means you'd be unemployed. Good luck.

PS: most employers can't figure out the difference between island, Ireland, and Iceland. They don't know you come from a country of natives who speak English as a first language. :o

I've recently spent 5 days Chiang Mai and fell in love with the city. I have 6 months to spare before going to Australia and would like to spend my time there. How easy is it to find work? What are the school terms? What is the average expected wage for teaching English?

I have a basic 40 hour online TEFL course and spent 10 weeks teaching informal English at an after school project in Sri Lanka. I'm also a qualified children's drama teacher and have thought in Irish primary schools for 6 months last year before starting my travels. I would really appreciate if anyone can give me any help or advice.

Thanks,

Juls

40 hour online TEFL -my school wouldn't offer you work. However, there may be a place or two that will.

2nd academic semester begins early Oct. so nearly 2 months before you could get into a school. Language school work is available all year round - look smart when you visit the school - no earings, smart and clean trousers and shirt, polished shoes and short hair etc and some schools may be interested.

I advise do a recognized TEFL ie at least 120 training hours and at least 6 observed teaching practices. Some of the TEFL providers in Chiang Mai can also find you work.