Chiang Mai kicks off 60-day campaign to control haze and wildfires

webfact

Chiang Mai kicks off 60-day campaign to control haze and wildfires

CHIANG MAI, 19 February 2015 (NNT) - Chiang Mai Province is seriously campaigning for the control of haze and wildfires in all districts by stipulating a 60-dangerous day period for strict surveillance, the Deputy Governor of Chiang Mai said.

The period runs from 15 Feb to 15 Apr. All districts must have a weekly meeting to evaluate the situation and adjust the control measures. A provincial working group will monitor the situation in each district especially Omkoi, Chiang Dao, Mae Taeng, Mae Jam and Phrao, all of which are most prone to the occurrence of wildfires.

The province recently arrested a man who started a forest fire in a show of drastic law enforcement.

Currently, the level of Particulate Matter (PM) in the province is still measured below the government’s recommended level of 120 micrograms per cubic meter. The air quality is in a satisfactory level although over fifty Hot Spots have been identified.

Those who encounter any fire can inform the province by calling 053 112725-6 or hotline 191 around the clock. Police are offering a 5,000-baht reward for those who give information that leads to a capture of an offender.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-19 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

In 60 days, the smog will be gone and the committee will pat themselves on the back and pose for photos.

Earlier this week, I went from CM to Sara Buri and back and did not see any rice fields burning. Lots of wooded land, but no rice fields. Plenty of grass burning on the side of the highway, but not in the rice fields. Maybe they are saving them for next month.

Bravo the CM province for trying. So far so good. I really hope they have some success. This air quality issue is my biggest gripe living in Chiang Mai.

Berkshire...... fires have been burning for weeks,in rice fields ,forests and road sides. Do you really consider the air quality is "so far so good " and the authorities are doing their job ? you can hardly see the mountain ranges.Its the same old PR piece put out year after year and nothing is done.I mean how hard is it to locate where a fire is, or has been, and prosecute the people responsible . As of today fires are burning everywhere.We just did a 200 km round trip in the CM province and not hard to see where the fires have, and are still , burning.

• Like 2