BANGKOK 19 April 2019 05:47
Kenny202

Are US forces still based in Udon Thani?

A Thai friend told me last night after the Thai Army took control of the country the US forces left. I know there was tough talk etc but didn't think it happened.

What US forces are you referring to? The U.S. played a part in this year's Cobra Gold exercises but there were and are no U.S. forces stationed here outside, I suppose, of a few at the US embassy.

I thought there had been a US base here since the Nam war

There was a base out side of Udon,when the war was going on,there were no unforms ,it was some kind of top secret radio base ,it was run by the us army

everybody knew it was there but nobody knew what went on there,had a freind who was CID there,there might be some army people still there

can't miss the base as it had a large circle of antenna's and staellite dish's

air amercia was in udon when the war was going on,there were a lot of air america plane's stationed there

I was with air rescure there the last of HH-43's

Edited by happynthailand

thre is still the voice of america station out ban dung way, father in law pointed out where s0me americans were housed on the kumphawapi road close to the transport office, during the war

That station is still there. I had a friend who was walking near the gate and he was asked to turn around and go back the way he had come.this was about six years ago

That station is still there. I had a friend who was walking near the gate and he was asked to turn around and go back the way he had come.this was about six years ago

It is not a US facility.

• Like 1

A Thai friend told me last night after the Thai Army took control of the country the US forces left. I know there was tough talk etc but didn't think it happened.

Lost in translation I guess whistling.gif

Don't tell a Thai that the US forces had control of the country.

That the US air force had bases in U-Tapao, Khorat and Udon Thani during the Vietnam war does not need to be mentioned?

Maybe legally it were always Royal Thai AFBs, but technically the US air force was operating "freely" to bomb Laos e.g.

So the answer to the question in the topic title is a clear NO.

Long gone.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

off topic but also aussies at the RTAB in ubon, americans also in nakon phanom, sakhon nakon, all related to the domino theory

• Like 1

I stumbled across a us air base about 50 clicks from udon. Had a load of B2 bombers and spitfires.

Something strange going on still.

• Like 1