Are US forces still based in Udon Thani?

Kenny202

maybe US forces aren't based here, but do not doubt for one minute that Uncle Sam still has his hands all over this place....Thailand in many ways is an extension of America....just look at the roads...who do you think funded those??

Prior to 1975 US AID supplied funding for many of the two lane roads to upcountry areas - but that was long, long ago. Thailand has rebuilt all of them many times over since that period (and greatly improved them). And unfortunately I know from having used them when they were two lane death runs (with humpback bridges blocking all view of oncoming traffic).

And those roads were border perimeter route mostly. Military routes.

There are no active US Military bases left in Thailand but there are many US Military expats living here in Thailand.

I am the current Commander for the Veterans of Foreign Wars here in Bangkok and we have six (6) post here in Thailand. Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Korat, Bangkok, Pattaya and we just installed a new post last weekend in Bang Chang near Rayong.

good on you for keeping old servicemen in touch with kindred spirts

Thank you

"US Navy are the only war ships that stop in Thailand"

Where do you people (Americans) get this stuff from? Here's a piece about a warship from Myanmar docking in Thailand last year: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-warship-visits-Thailand-30247835.html And Singapore sells naval vessels to Thailand, does frequent coordinated military exercises with them, and its own vessels make frequent port visits there. The difference is that Singapore tends to be more quiet about these things because they like to keep their immediate neighbours guessing about their capabilities. Remember that Singapore has mandatory national service for all male citizens but not the land, air, or sea territory to provide training. Hence, training takes place to a large extent overseas, much of it on the down-low for political and strategic reasons.

Ive trained with quite a few Sing pilots and aircraft maintenance personnel in Singapore and Thailand. Training is MAINLY in Sing for all their branches of the service. But like all countries, they do conduct regular exercises internationally. Nothing unusual and nothing "on the down-low" sorry no conspiracies there or in Thailand regarding US military personnel.

For the record, the main layover base is Utapao as that is where the Thai refueling, cargo, and logistics support for US heavy aircraft are based. Again, no conspiracies there either.

Nothing in Takhli either. US conducts 2 military exercises a year. One in Feb COPE TIGER (Marine exercise) and one in Mar (Air Force exercise). Been doing it for many years now.

There can be several other small training exercise conducted throughout the year depending on needs but this is usually very small with less than 100 people conducting very specific training missions.

There is nothing covert going on here. No secret spy bases or the like. There are much better sources of conspiracies around the world other than this.

Lived in Singapore for more than15 years with many friends in the services, and I can tell you that there are things that don't get talked about. Nothing about conspiracies here. As I said, it's kept quiet for strategic and political reasons (in the sense that it's not talked about in the media, which the government 'oversees'). For example, you might understand that a government such as Singapore's would not want to advertise military cooperation with Israel to its larger Muslim neighbours or military cooperation with Taiwan to China (these being fictitious examples, of course). As you are no doubt aware, Singapore is geographically far more vulnerable than the US so must follow a different strategic path.

Here's an Israeli piece on one of those fictional, non-conspiratorial relationships I mentioned: http://www.haaretz.com/a-deep-dark-secret-love-affair-1.128671

Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt. I was involved in pilot training. There arent any big secrets going on anywhere. The RSAF does train pilots on their F-15s at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho on initial qualifications. Training of all Sing forces is MAINLY conducted in Singapore and again with exercises in other countries no different than any of the other forces in he asian region. There are NO conspiracies except for people like you who try and make them up. In your post you said "there are things that dont get talked about", thats a load of crap because if true, they damn sure wouldnt talk about any of them to a person who doesnt have a need to know....

My friend is RTAF Hercules Captain and His regular route in BKK-SIN-BKK.

There are no active US Military bases left in Thailand but there are many US Military expats living here in Thailand.

I am the current Commander for the Veterans of Foreign Wars here in Bangkok and we have six (6) post here in Thailand. Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Korat, Bangkok, Pattaya and we just installed a new post last weekend in Bang Chang near Rayong.

Where did you install the new "post"?

In Thsetsaban 25, in one of the girlie bars?

Bernie. My guess is your a tourist as your name suggests "On Tour". The VFW does many great things here in Thailand helping people and honoring the veterans of many countries.

Bernie, I think that was a yes!

"US Navy are the only war ships that stop in Thailand"

Where do you people (Americans) get this stuff from? Here's a piece about a warship from Myanmar docking in Thailand last year: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-warship-visits-Thailand-30247835.html And Singapore sells naval vessels to Thailand, does frequent coordinated military exercises with them, and its own vessels make frequent port visits there. The difference is that Singapore tends to be more quiet about these things because they like to keep their immediate neighbours guessing about their capabilities. Remember that Singapore has mandatory national service for all male citizens but not the land, air, or sea territory to provide training. Hence, training takes place to a large extent overseas, much of it on the down-low for political and strategic reasons.

Ive trained with quite a few Sing pilots and aircraft maintenance personnel in Singapore and Thailand. Training is MAINLY in Sing for all their branches of the service. But like all countries, they do conduct regular exercises internationally. Nothing unusual and nothing "on the down-low" sorry no conspiracies there or in Thailand regarding US military personnel.

For the record, the main layover base is Utapao as that is where the Thai refueling, cargo, and logistics support for US heavy aircraft are based. Again, no conspiracies there either.

Nothing in Takhli either. US conducts 2 military exercises a year. One in Feb COPE TIGER (Marine exercise) and one in Mar (Air Force exercise). Been doing it for many years now.

There can be several other small training exercise conducted throughout the year depending on needs but this is usually very small with less than 100 people conducting very specific training missions.

There is nothing covert going on here. No secret spy bases or the like. There are much better sources of conspiracies around the world other than this.

Lived in Singapore for more than15 years with many friends in the services, and I can tell you that there are things that don't get talked about. Nothing about conspiracies here. As I said, it's kept quiet for strategic and political reasons (in the sense that it's not talked about in the media, which the government 'oversees'). For example, you might understand that a government such as Singapore's would not want to advertise military cooperation with Israel to its larger Muslim neighbours or military cooperation with Taiwan to China (these being fictitious examples, of course). As you are no doubt aware, Singapore is geographically far more vulnerable than the US so must follow a different strategic path.

Here's an Israeli piece on one of those fictional, non-conspiratorial relationships I mentioned: http://www.haaretz.com/a-deep-dark-secret-love-affair-1.128671

Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt. I was involved in pilot training. There arent any big secrets going on anywhere. The RSAF does train pilots on their F-15s at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho on initial qualifications. Training of all Sing forces is MAINLY conducted in Singapore and again with exercises in other countries no different than any of the other forces in he asian region. There are NO conspiracies except for people like you who try and make them up. In your post you said "there are things that dont get talked about", thats a load of crap because if true, they damn sure wouldnt talk about any of them to a person who doesnt have a need to know....

And you may find this quote interesting, guy. In fact the whole article might be an eye-opener for you:

It is an open secret, though never acknowledged by the Singapore government, that its military has used Taiwan since the 1970s for large combined-arms exercises. Singapore lacks the open space for military manoeuvres, and regards the use of Taiwan as vital for national security. Singapore pays Taipei for the use of its facilities, but does not train with the Taiwan military.

http://www.singapore-window.org/sw04/040805fe.htm (Excerpted from the Far Eastern Economic Review)

Its not an eye opener....I spent 23 years in the USAF and then another 11 years as a defense contractor with pilot training 24 years of operations in the Pacific Asian region. You arent going to tell me anything I wouldnt be surprised at. And digging up articles from the bowels of the internet 11 years old, does nothing to prove whatever argument you have. All militaries conduct training outside their borders Ive already acknowledged that. Ive been on far too many of those training exercises in my 34 years of military support.

• Like 2

I was first stationed at U-Tapao (sattahip) from june 1966 to jan 1968. there was a small army radar site located between U-Tapao and Sattahip. There was also a small group of military stationed at Pattaya doing ? There were bases at Korat, Takhli, Ubon (i was there in 1972), Udorn and Nakhom Phanom (i was there in 1973 until 1975). Then I was at a small satellite tracking station in a place called Ko Kha (near Lampang). There was a small group of Army personnel living in the mountains near Lampang, but no base. They were radio relay. The only milittary personnel in-country after 1975 were Air Force munitions at Korat, defusing bombs and nuclear warheads, untill possibly 1977. the Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC) was at Nakhon Phanom, still there when the U.S. military left. I worked near their location, at the far end of the base which was previously a CIA/Air America compound. Pretty sure that site is/was used again by CIA as an interrogation site, that our government says does not exist. I know at Ubon and Nakhom Phanom I fly into the airport, but am not allowed on the "Royal Thai Air Force Base". There are probably on-going situations where Udorn is still used, simply because it is a vast complex. Lots of retired Air American guys there.

and nobody remembers war resisters, RITA, Jane Fonda, Jimi Hendrix, or ASU?

They are also part of US history, like it or not.

Jimi Hendrix also served his country, before he saw that something was going wrong.

Down here in Pattaya, we've got a Thai veteran, who was inspired by Jimi Hendrix, and Rolling Stone Magazine in California said he's the best guitarist in the world.

Lem Morrison is still alive, and he plays in free concerts in Blues Factory every week.

Don't you think it's time to make peace with people like him, too?

• Like 1

and nobody remembers war resisters, RITA, Jane Fonda, Jimi Hendrix, or ASU?

They are also part of US history, like it or not.

Jimi Hendrix also served his country, before he saw that something was going wrong.

Down here in Pattaya, we've got a Thai veteran, who was inspired by Jimi Hendrix, and Rolling Stone Magazine in California said he's the best guitarist in the world.

Lem Morrison is still alive, and he plays in free concerts in Blues Factory every week.

Don't you think it's time to make peace with people like him, too?

Interesting, although I am not sure what it has to do with the OP.

I want to

1. change the image of Pattaya in Germany and surrounding countries

2. get all my music equipment to Pattaya for a Jam Session

3. get all my property or compensations from Europe here to Pattaya.

(3) is a legal issue, and it's handled in Germany.

(1) is in the various TVF threads, eg "I♥Pattaya"

For (2) feel free to PM me, I can send you my nickname in Heidelberg and a photo via email.

Edited by micmichd

As it has been said, there are many Veterans of the American Vietnam/Lao war around, although we are getting a little "not as lean, still as mean"...lol, and losing some. There are a few younger. Many living very quietly in a village somewhere in Sakhon Nowhere with long time Thai wives. Quite a few of us around the Udon/Nong Khai area. And yes, there are Vets that were not only "skeptical" of the US involvement but actively opposed it. Some were/are members of Vietnam Veterans Against the War and proud of it. That would include me. There are no known "bases" for US troops here and unless I'm mistaken even during the war the Americans were based on Thai bases even though they may have been considered American. US Marines basically built the Udon (Udorn) air base (for the CIA originally). They came in from Okinawa. The first group of Marine chopper pilots lost a bunch of the pilots to the CIA, an offer they couldn't/wouldn't refuse. I believe reinstatement with rank after their "tour" was over. The Mayaguez incident in May 1975 was the breaking point for American troops stationed in Thailand. When the Thai government found out the US used it's assets in Thailand without Thai permission they were told to leave.

• Like 1

I used to stay at a hotel off Suthisarn Road in Bangkok, that was a converted officer barracks for the US Army.

Was it 'Nice Palace' by any chance?
No, to the best of my knowledge Nice is still there, the one I stayed at was torn down a few years ago. PO Court on Soi 4, had a nice big swimming pool in the back. I have also stayed at Nice Palace.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, they wanted to lose another war?

I didn't think they care about winning wars. I thought the wars were so America's Military Industrial Complex can make lots of money.

the US propaganda machine is currently trumpeting the "revival" of the soviet empire,

as they arm the new nazi's (also known as Ukranians) against the Russians

same old, same old, and the beat goes on

the US propaganda machine is also running overtime against the new boogie man, ISIS, without bothering to tell anyone,

they are the trained dogs of the US, gone rabid

I was first stationed at U-Tapao (sattahip) from june 1966 to jan 1968. ..... The only milittary personnel in-country after 1975 were Air Force munitions at Korat, defusing bombs and nuclear warheads, untill possibly 1977. ....

And you were told this by the somtam lady?

Since Thailand never used mass murder weapons on her command, I tend to regard US military in Thailand as a service.

Take a group of IT professionals who run a super computer that belongs to a bank or a government.

Would you say that - due to their exclusive knowledge - they own the bank or the country?

Seems everyone missed a big part of the war. If you have read several books and watched movies Air America cooperated with the Thais in movement of a lot of drugs from Laos to Thailand. It was a business bigger than Air America. The deceased CIA guys Pat Landry, Jack shirley and Tony Poe were good friends until the died. It was a two way avenue.

Thank you Donald, somebody knows something. I missed getting to meet Tony Poe, a true legend, as I came to Thailand too late: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Poshepny http://atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/EG08Ae02.html . Folks that knew him say he was a good man. I suspect that depended on who you are. The real "Rambo's" existed. There are now several good books on the "war that never existed" along with good articles available on the internet. There is also a Lao Veterans group http://tlc-brotherhood.com/wp/. A lot of good stuff on their site. I have a very close friend back in the states that was cross-border out of NPK. He spent many years fighting for Agent Orange disability. The US used a lot here and in Lao. Another high school classmate that flew out of U Tapao. My neighbor who was stationed here tells me the old dump area at the Udon base is full of who knows what buried. I asked him once if we would start to glow in the dark, he laughed and said "nope, we won't live long enough". His is a great love story, still married to the same lady he met here in Udon, went AWOL in the states, flew back and married. Made a career out of the AF (Reader's Digest version). Like many of us, he doesn't talk much about his 2 tours here and one in VN, except to other Vets. There were also some good pics of Udon back in the day floating around, maybe on Udonmap but I'm not sure. Lot of changes since then, not much the same.

You may have read my first book, Merchant Of The Orient, An Entrepreneur's Journey in Life. Amazon has it or I can send you a free copy in pdf format. I am working on my second book, Lost in Bangkok For 30 Years. The below is a little bit that I wrote on Tony Poe. I met Tony first time when I was working in Laos but living in Udorn on the weekends.

During and after the War in Vietnam and Laos, many military men and women were in Thailand. There were a total of 6 USA air force bases and one major navy installation in Thailand. The command headquarters was located in Bangkok. There was a large contingent of CIA and Special Forces stationed in Thailand and Laos. The CIA ran the war in Laos very successful until the State Department changed ambassadors in Vientiane and the military jealously decided that they should be running the war. There were approximately 50,000 USA military personnel in Thailand during the Vietnam War. This was a tremendous western exposure, which had a lasting effect. Many GI’s married Thai women and moved them back the USA. A good example of this was Tiger Woods father who married a Thai lady.

The exposure to this many American military personnel over a prolonged period of time had a serious impact on Thai society. This impact mainly, ladies of the night seeking fast money for their service. Udorn Thani Province was not only a big air base but later was the local headquarters of the CIA run by Bill Lear and Pat Landry. Their assistant was Jack Shirley. They moved the headquarters for the local operation from Vientiane for political reasons.

Younger and older Tony Poe Famous CIA Operative (photos did not copy)

The Charoen Hotel in Udorn Thani Province in the northeast became one of the real hot spots for entertainment. Tony Poe one of their trained heavy handed CIA persons in Lao felt very comfortable around most of his CIA buddies in Bangkok. I knew all of these guys very well in a social framework. Later Tony Poe and Jack Shirley became archenemies as Tony felt that he did not get a fair shake from CIA Headquarters. I first met Tony in Udorn Thani in 1988 when I was working as consultant in Laos. He was a huge man and a trained killer. Tony told me once that he had a 10,000 man Hmong Army working for in northwest Lao. Tony had married, he claimed, a Lao Princess who was a charming lady. Tony told me that he had to give her father 100 buffalo in order to pay the sin sot or marriage fee.

• Like 2

Sent PM. "Rumor" has it Toney Poe continued to operate long after the war officially ended, just rumor now mind you. I did hear his Lao wife was a lovely and charming lady. Had I made my scheduled R&R here in '67 I would have never gone back to the states. The Charoen is still there, a bit run down. VFW was meeting there and the US Embassy outreach was there last spring. I hope this thread clears up some confusion about Udon and the US role here during the Vietnam/Lao War.