BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Kenny202

Are US forces still based in Udon Thani?

father in law was posted to nakon phanom during the viet war and the maoist backed insuregency , he met lots of us personnel, some aussies as well, but he thanked the us for the improvement in the roads

US Navy are the only war ships that stop in Thailand

China was invited by the US to participate in the recent drills

"US Navy are the only war ships that stop in Thailand"

Where do you people (Americans) get this stuff from? Here's a piece about a warship from Myanmar docking in Thailand last year: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-warship-visits-Thailand-30247835.html And Singapore sells naval vessels to Thailand, does frequent coordinated military exercises with them, and its own vessels make frequent port visits there. The difference is that Singapore tends to be more quiet about these things because they like to keep their immediate neighbours guessing about their capabilities. Remember that Singapore has mandatory national service for all male citizens but not the land, air, or sea territory to provide training. Hence, training takes place to a large extent overseas, much of it on the down-low for political and strategic reasons.

Ive trained with quite a few Sing pilots and aircraft maintenance personnel in Singapore and Thailand. Training is MAINLY in Sing for all their branches of the service. But like all countries, they do conduct regular exercises internationally. Nothing unusual and nothing "on the down-low" sorry no conspiracies there or in Thailand regarding US military personnel.

For the record, the main layover base is Utapao as that is where the Thai refueling, cargo, and logistics support for US heavy aircraft are based. Again, no conspiracies there either.

Nothing in Takhli either. US conducts 2 military exercises a year. One in Feb COPE TIGER (Marine exercise) and one in Mar (Air Force exercise). Been doing it for many years now.

There can be several other small training exercise conducted throughout the year depending on needs but this is usually very small with less than 100 people conducting very specific training missions.

There is nothing covert going on here. No secret spy bases or the like. There are much better sources of conspiracies around the world other than this.

• Like 2

Where do you people (Americans) get this stuff from? Here's a piece about a warship from Myanmar docking in Thailand last year: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-warship-visits-Thailand-30247835.html And Singapore sells naval vessels to Thailand, does frequent coordinated military exercises with them, and its own vessels make frequent port visits there. The difference is that Singapore tends to be more quiet about these things because they like to keep their immediate neighbours guessing about their capabilities. Remember that Singapore has mandatory national service for all male citizens but not the land, air, or sea territory to provide training. Hence, training takes place to a large extent overseas, much of it on the down-low for political and strategic reasons.

Ive trained with quite a few Sing pilots and aircraft maintenance personnel in Singapore and Thailand. Training is MAINLY in Sing for all their branches of the service. But like all countries, they do conduct regular exercises internationally. Nothing unusual and nothing "on the down-low" sorry no conspiracies there or in Thailand regarding US military personnel.

For the record, the main layover base is Utapao as that is where the Thai refueling, cargo, and logistics support for US heavy aircraft are based. Again, no conspiracies there either.

Nothing in Takhli either. US conducts 2 military exercises a year. One in Feb COPE TIGER (Marine exercise) and one in Mar (Air Force exercise). Been doing it for many years now.

There can be several other small training exercise conducted throughout the year depending on needs but this is usually very small with less than 100 people conducting very specific training missions.

There is nothing covert going on here. No secret spy bases or the like. There are much better sources of conspiracies around the world other than this.

Ah, denial of a conspiracy, the first real evidence to support it--aren't all Americans with the CIA?

• Like 2

Lived in Singapore for more than15 years with many friends in the services, and I can tell you that there are things that don't get talked about. Nothing about conspiracies here. As I said, it's kept quiet for strategic and political reasons (in the sense that it's not talked about in the media, which the government 'oversees'). For example, you might understand that a government such as Singapore's would not want to advertise military cooperation with Israel to its larger Muslim neighbours or military cooperation with Taiwan to China (these being fictitious examples, of course). As you are no doubt aware, Singapore is geographically far more vulnerable than the US so must follow a different strategic path.

Here's an Israeli piece on one of those fictional, non-conspiratorial relationships I mentioned: http://www.haaretz.com/a-deep-dark-secret-love-affair-1.128671

Edited by Docno

Lived in Singapore for more than15 years with many friends in the services, and I can tell you that there are things that don't get talked about. Nothing about conspiracies here. As I said, it's kept quiet for strategic and political reasons (in the sense that it's not talked about in the media, which the government 'oversees'). For example, you might understand that a government such as Singapore's would not want to advertise military cooperation with Israel to its larger Muslim neighbours or military cooperation with Taiwan to China (these being fictitious examples, of course). As you are no doubt aware, Singapore is geographically far more vulnerable than the US so must follow a different strategic path.

Here's an Israeli piece on one of those fictional, non-conspiratorial relationships I mentioned: http://www.haaretz.com/a-deep-dark-secret-love-affair-1.128671

Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt. I was involved in pilot training. There arent any big secrets going on anywhere. The RSAF does train pilots on their F-15s at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho on initial qualifications. Training of all Sing forces is MAINLY conducted in Singapore and again with exercises in other countries no different than any of the other forces in he asian region. There are NO conspiracies except for people like you who try and make them up. In your post you said "there are things that dont get talked about", thats a load of crap because if true, they damn sure wouldnt talk about any of them to a person who doesnt have a need to know....

• Like 1

Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt. I was involved in pilot training. There arent any big secrets going on anywhere. The RSAF does train pilots on their F-15s at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho on initial qualifications. Training of all Sing forces is MAINLY conducted in Singapore and again with exercises in other countries no different than any of the other forces in he asian region. There are NO conspiracies except for people like you who try and make them up. In your post you said "there are things that dont get talked about", thats a load of crap because if true, they damn sure wouldnt talk about any of them to a person who doesnt have a need to know....

Guy, you've trained with them in ONE place. I'm not talking about Singapore's cooperation with Thailand. Read again

BTW - you seem to downplay the training of Singaporean servicemen overseas. Well, by 1989 140,000 troops had been sent to Taiwan alone for training (3-6 month periods): https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=moqbJAj2b1kC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=singapore+military+exercises+in+taiwan&source=bl&ots=Okh1RWgc4j&sig=SEOpaL32sHZZYT0Ct9aJ1qIFn-I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WeTqVK6KDI6OuASFkIHoAQ&ved=0CGQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=singapore%20military%20exercises%20in%20taiwan&f=false

Edited by Docno

Where have you trained with them at? What affiliation with the military do you have, your "friends" ha? You cant even comprehend what I wrote, I said conducted pilot training with them in both Singapore and Thailand. All of your arguments are arm chaired quarterbacked from OLD google searches where mine, is CURRENT actual face to face interaction and training with REAL RSAF personnel. Again, no conspiracies except for ones you are trying to look up on the internet. Please keep dredging up your poop.... And what does this have to do with US forces in Udon Thani anyways?

2fishin2 said, "Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt . . . "

Your t-shirt must have been misprinted; RSAF in regard to Singapore is the Republic of Singapore Air Force.

• Like 2

2fishin2 said, "Guy, I just told you that I have trained with the RSAF (royal singapore air force) IN SINGAPORE and Thailand. Been here done that got the tshirt . . . "

Your t-shirt must have been misprinted; RSAF in regard to Singapore is the Republic of Singapore Air Force.

Huh? Thats what I said also....

There are no active US Military bases left in Thailand but there are many US Military expats living here in Thailand.

I am the current Commander for the Veterans of Foreign Wars here in Bangkok and we have six (6) post here in Thailand. Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Korat, Bangkok, Pattaya and we just installed a new post last weekend in Bang Chang near Rayong.

Where did you install the new "post"?

In Thsetsaban 25, in one of the girlie bars?

There are no active US Military bases left in Thailand but there are many US Military expats living here in Thailand.

I am the current Commander for the Veterans of Foreign Wars here in Bangkok and we have six (6) post here in Thailand. Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Korat, Bangkok, Pattaya and we just installed a new post last weekend in Bang Chang near Rayong.

good on you for keeping old servicemen in touch with kindred spirts