'Chinese tourist' filmed kicking Chiang Mai temple bell

webfact

'Chinese Tourist' Filmed Kicking Chiang Mai Temple Bell

By Khaosod English

14246039101424604419l.jpg
Images from a video of an Asian tourist kicking a bell at Doi Suthep Temple in Chiang Mai.

CHIANG MAI — An official from Chiang Mai's Doi Suthep temple has asked tour companies to educate their clients about proper temple etiquette after a video of a suspected Chinese tourist kicking one of the temple's bells went viral on social media.

The video shows an Asian tourist kicking a fortune bell at Doi Suthep, a popular destination for Thai Buddhists and foreign tourists in Chiang Mai. The video’s caption claims that the tourist is Chinese.

Chuan Patwan, an administrator at Doi Suthep Temple, said he could not comment on whether the tourist was Chinese, as he did not witness the incident firsthand. However, he said that many Chinese tourists visited the temple over the weekend.

"It will take some time to say whether the tourist is actually Chinese," Chuan said. "But judging from his style, he was kicking his feet with so much agility, it was like kung <deleted>."

The official added that the temple has asked all tour companies and guide associations in Chiang Mai to teach their customers about proper etiquette when visiting temples, historic sites, and other important destinations.

"So it won't create a negative image for Chinese tourists," Chuan told Khaosod.

The controversy came during a mass influx of Chinese tourists to Thailand for the "Golden Week" of the Chinese New Year. Tourism authorities estimate that over 90,000 Chinese nationals will visit the city of Chiang Mai alone during the holiday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1424603910&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-02-23

• Like 1

If there isn't one already, the Chinese authorities need to set up a PSB office in Chiang Mai to control public order. It is apparent that the Chinese citizens in Chiang Mai consider the Thai police and other authorities a 'soft touch'.

"Tourists may do things that do not impress local people, but everyone should understand that the arrival of foreign tourists in our country is better than their not coming here, because their presence stimulates the economy,"

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/02/13/sake-economy-please-put-chinese-thaigov-asks

Will the Thai government still put up with it after this?

• Like 2

I am not too sure what education is needed?

It's really common sense and nothing else.

No explaining or educating will change the behaviour.

Theyre all as bad as each other Thais included.............I mean look at the driving..........common sense, education........nothing will change that behaviour either.

I look at it this way Lump of inanimate metal gets moved by lump of biological material end of story. Al this crap attached to " sacred" stuff..............its just stuff and in a million years it wont be there.

• Like 1

The official added that the temple has asked all tour companies and guide associations in Chiang Mai to teach their customers about proper etiquette when visiting temples, historic sites, and other important destinations.

Like Immigration? We all know that the hard working lads and lasses there deserve ... No! Demand the utmost of respect.

blink.png

• Like 2

It's called "The Bliss of Ignorance" and is not limited to people kicking revered bells either: "Chooka", "Mango Bob" and a few other perennial TV-Posters . . . . . When reading some of their posts, I often wonder "Do you REALLY have nothing better to do ?" (such obviously Empty Lives they must lead . . . .)

and who made you holier than thou? I bet you sit there surrounded by mirrors grooming and idolising your self and turn up your nose at everyone. Do you having nothing better to do than publically glorifying yourself and put others down on public forums?
  • Like 2

It's called "The Bliss of Ignorance" and is not limited to people kicking revered bells either: "Chooka", "Mango Bob" and a few other perennial TV-Posters . . . . . When reading some of their posts, I often wonder "Do you REALLY have nothing better to do ?" (such obviously Empty Lives they must lead . . . .)

Well, I have to come running to the defence of Chooka

"Small things amuse small minds, while even SMALLER minds look on in wonder".

Edited by onthedarkside
inflammatory remark removed

Its more bad manners and bad behaviour that in general is on the low end of the scale.

I find them disgusting in personal habits but nothing like the tattooed roid freaks walking around with

no shirts on intimidating people.

90,000 and say 10 fools, I can cop that.

Take a look around Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok during the holidays and you'll see

some of the lowest toe rags on earth with a few drinks in them doing much worse.

Tattooed roid freaks walking around with no shirts on. I went to the bike week last weekend and the place had 90.000 tattooed roid freaks walking around with no shirts on! ''none of them where intimidating anyone''. Maybe it is your own personal uneducated and bias opinion you are trying to spew out to us all. People with your views are the real trouble causers in this world, maybe you should learn people skills and stop stereotyping people.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am not too sure what education is needed?

It's really common sense and nothing else.

No explaining or educating will change the behaviour.

Mandatory classes in Chinese schools to learn about western culture is the only way.

We automatically learn "common sense", in Asia common sense is hard to find, because ii is not Asian.