Calls For General Prem To Maintain Peace In The Country

Jai Dee

Over 150 people in grass-root level request Gen Prem to help maintain peace in the country

Over 150 people in the grass-root level submitted a letter to the Privy Council and Statesman, General Prem Tinsulanonda (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์), to help maintain peace in Thailand under the democratic framework.

At 6:30 AM today, more than 150 grass-root people gathered in front of Gen. Prem’s residence, requesting him to help maintain peace in the country.

The current political conflicts are complex, and people are taking sides while demanding Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to be the only person who is responsible in dealing with these matters.

Therefore, they would like Gen. Prem to also help end these conflicts soon.

They fear that if the social disorder carries on, it could cause more damages to the country.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 August 2006

I could see Prem stepping in and speaking out. He's a bigger man than I am, after all of Thaksin's veiled attacks I'd certainly be taking sides and speaking out against the good Dr Pol Lt Col .... But Prem has a stronger character than most!

Gen. Prem reminded police and army to work hard for national stability

The Statesman and Privy Councilor, Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda, reminded the Thai Army to abide by the royal address of His Majesty the King on love and unity for the stability of Thailand and the army.

Government officials, army, police, and members of the public visited Gen. Prem’s residence to offer him wishes on the occasion of his 86th birthday, which coincides with tomorrow. Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya led a team of army commanders and high-level army officials to offer their wishes to the statesman.

On this occasion, Gen. Prem told Gen. Thammarak and his entourage to stick to His Majesty the King’s royal address on love and unity while performing their duties. He said the army would be stronger and could protect the stability of the nation.

He further said that leaders have to be a good example for others to follow and they have to know how to be merciful. The army has to unite, otherwise, they would not be strong and so is the society.

Pol. Gen. Kowit Wattana, the Royal Thai Police Commander, together with a team of police officials also took a visit to Gen. Prem’s residence to offer their birthday wishes.

Gen. Prem would like the police to work diligently and impartially. He stated that he knew that the police officers have to work strenuously and they have many duties to perform.

He said he would like them to work for the country even though all works may not be successful entirely.

However, he asked them to be committed and honest so the general public would be proud of them.

Last elections were illegal, null, and void.

But it's still unclear what role Prem could officially play now, I agree.

Maybe they want him to pull the strings from behind - to tell the police to perform their duties to the country and the King etc. etc. Read the article above.

It can be extremely effective if police/army refuse to play along in bogus assassination plots or whatever Thaksin will think up next.

It hasn't been just drifting. If people were left to figure out who's who by themselves the country wouldn't be so divided now.

Who was that guy who travelled all over Isan talling people that Bangkokians have beed fooled? Who was that guy who called his opponents barking dogs? Who was that government minister who mobilised "troops", gave them training and sent them to disrupt opponents rallies? Who organised and paid for month long camps and caravans in support of Thaksin to provide "balance" against his opponents?

The reality is that Thaksin has been working overtime to divide the country in hope that he can use the majority to completely clamp down on all dissent. Same as they did in 1976, but now it's nearly 40% of the population that needs to be put in line.

It hasn't been just drifting. If people were left to figure out who's who by themselves the country wouldn't be so divided now.

Who was that guy who travelled all over Isan talling people that Bangkokians have beed fooled? Who was that guy who called his opponents barking dogs? Who was that government minister who mobilised "troops", gave them training and sent them to disrupt opponents rallies? Who organised and paid for month long camps and caravans in support of Thaksin to provide "balance" against his opponents?

The reality is that Thaksin has been working overtime to divide the country in hope that he can use the majority to completely clamp down on all dissent. Same as they did in 1976, but now it's nearly 40% of the population that needs to be put in line.

I wouldnt disagree with that. My point is more around I think a number of the so called old power elite probably didnt expect this to last so long or for it to create such division. This is a very situation rather than a variation on the old predictable type of situation.

Prem can, has, and will continue to help the country withing the framework of the Democracy with the King as head of state; through his calling for reason and calm-headed action as the head of the Privy Council. In that position he can speak with the de facto voice of someone else in a much more direct way. Granted he can be ignored but that happens at the peril of the people involved.<political peril>

Prem can step in to maintain the peace though I would prefer someone that is not connected to the military or the police force like Annand Punyarachun. The political turmoil is gradually turning from bad to worst further dividing the people of pro and anti Taksin.

We have the military and the police force at odds with each other, sooner or later it will get ugly.

There's already blood shed on the street at Central Word Plaza and we definately do not want a repeat of what happened in October 1976 :o

Over 150 people in grass-root level request Gen Prem to help maintain peace in the country

Over 150 people in the grass-root level submitted a letter to the Privy Council and Statesman, General Prem Tinsulanonda (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์), to help maintain peace in Thailand under the democratic framework.

At 6:30 AM today, more than 150 grass-root people gathered in front of Gen. Prem’s residence, requesting him to help maintain peace in the country.

The current political conflicts are complex, and people are taking sides while demanding Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to be the only person who is responsible in dealing with these matters.

Therefore, they would like Gen. Prem to also help end these conflicts soon.

They fear that if the social disorder carries on, it could cause more damages to the country.

I think previous posters may have misunderstood the purpose of the demonstration, understandably since the TNBPRD news-release is up to their normal level of clarity, I'm afraid. :D

Reading the highlighted section, you eventually see that the 150 mournful-looking poor people are asking Khun Prem to support our acting caretaker unemployed PM, who is the only person able to deal with these matters, and that therefore the help in ending conflicts which they want from Khun Prem, is that he should be supporting Thaksin ! Who wouldn't - after all ? :o

Don't these pesky protesters realise, their social disorder is causing conflicts, and threatening the peace and quiet to which DL is surely entitled ? They must surely be educated - and therefore stupid. :D

I don't know why they look so mournful - maybe they are disappointed with their handout from th dark influence who sent them - or perhaps they hoped to get their faces on TV, if there was a good punch-up (Sorry - 'vigorous democratic exchange of opinions') at this carefully-staged event.

Meanwhile may I join the many senior army & police-officers, in wishing this distinguished person a very happy birthday, and hope that perhaps Thaksin will also be taking the time, to congratulate this illustrious elder-statesman. :D