Thailand Continues To Face Widespread Rainfalls

Jai Dee

Thailand continues to face widespread rainfalls

BANGKOK, Aug 25 (TNA) - Many parts of Thailand, especially the country's North, Northeast and central region, will continue to face downpours of rain over the next couple of days, with torrential rain expected in some areas, the Meteorological Department warned here Friday.

The department said that the anticipated widespread of rainfalls is due to the influence of a low pressure ridge covering the country's northern and northeastern regions.

People living in low-lying and other at risk areas, particularly Nan Province in the North, as well as Kalasin, Ro-Et and Yasothon in the Northeast, should beware of and be prepared for the heavy downpours, and possible flash floods and even landslides, the weather bureau cautioned.

In Nan, where flash floods triggered by torrential rain have submerged several areas since early this week, officials are evacuating more than 200 people in 38 households in Ban Kok of Chiang Klang District to a nearby national park after a 500-metre long crack with subsided areas caused by the torrential rain were reported Thursday, resulting in damage to villagers' houses.

Inundations in the province's Muang District are, however, receding, according to TNA reporter.

In Sukhothai, overflowing of water from the Yom River caused by continued rainfalls over the past days have resulted in more than one-metre inundations in many areas of Srisamrong and Muang Districts.

People in some of the flood-stricken areas have been cut off from the outside world due to heavy inundated roads, while some others have faced a blackout as several power poles were damaged, according to the reporter.

Meanwhile, officials and volunteers in the country's seven southern provinces, including Yala, Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla, Satun, Trang and Phattalung, met Thursday to prepare measures to deal with incidents in the rainy season, including floods and landslides particularly in low-lying and other at risk areas.

Source: TNA - 25 August 2006

I wish Korat would see some of this rain, I am sure I must live in the dryest province.

A while ago the wife was pondering whether we should move to Korat from Udon, 2 daughters working in Chonburi and Chachernsao respectively. Then she remembered the lack of rain there, Udon always seems to get plenty, and as a cattle farmer that was the end of that.

We need more rain up in the Central region near Khampaeng Phet so that I can see my fishpond full for the first time ever. Also it is good for the fruit trees as well.

From January this year we had no government water supply for nearly 2 months.

Thai TV gave report of people being evacuated in Northern provinces - near to Doi Pukha and other areas. land slides are terrible - lot of homes and property damaged !

warning has been given for 6 or 7 provinces for this night - that possible more floods due to storm raifall etc.