Newbie to Aquponics

Hi'all

am gonna start a system for aquaponics.

looking for the Blue 200 ltr plastic drums - but what i can find are second hand ( used ) and stored chemicals.

so, the question here is, are those chemicals bad bor my system ? ( fish and plants )

i'm near Pattaya area . any suggestions for 'safe' used drums supplier?

i found 2 , but not sure about the chemicals that was stored. may need to go again to look at the type and then search on the net to see if it is safe for my system.

Hello All, if you search through the old hydro threads, joecano had posted

the phone number of a place between BKK/Pattaya that makes/sells new

barrels, he also gave the prices.

Used barrels here in Korat you can find places along the Hwy. that sell tanks

and used barrels, thats where I found mine 6 years ago, and they came with

the metal band lock.

rice555

post-37242-0-32078200-1424850351_thumb.j

• Like 1

What exactly are you thinking of doing? Breeding fish? As Hydroponics is growing plants. I have an HND in Aquaculture and fisheries management so tell me what you want to do and i will give you some answers.

ok.

this is what i'm looking for as the container for the grow bed which i will cut into half.

not the 'garbage bin' type with an open end.

as per my 1st post, I found used plastic drums ( same as in the photo ), but used for storing chemical.

you have any leads ?

thks mate.

post-162022-0-90437500-1424863462_thumb.

Post #165 +-2 posts on the current Hydro thread first page:

Posted 2008-08-30 23:24:40

"I was doing research on line and found two local dealers I thought to share with the T - V community. Maybe, I can get feedback on the products:

COCONUT COIR:

Super Peat
NIQUE INTER CORPORATION LTD.
193/133 24 floor Central city tower
Bangna-Trad Rd. Bangna Bangkok 10260
TEL : 66-2-7456882 FAX : 66-2-7456883
http://www.superpeat.com

Sales department : Mr.Nattawut T.
Mobile : 0066-8-14094966
Email : [email protected]

----------------------------------------------------

NUTRIENT DRUMS / BARRELS:

Pack Delta Public Company Limited
136-136/1 Moo 17 Bangplee Industrial Estate,
Bangsaothong, Samuthprakarn 10540 Thailand
Tel. 0 2315 1360, 0 2315 2289-90, Fax. 0 2315 1293
E-mail : [email protected]

Please note Pack Delta also has 120 Liters Blue plastic drums although not mentioned in there website. They also deliver to BKK if you pay for delivery costs. "
I don't know if this info is current.
Also, fell free to jump into any current aqua or hydro threads to ask a questions, some people get
notified if a thread they have replied to.
The aqua/hydro thread started by Fapington on the first page you should find some help.
rice555

so, i am gonna start this project of mine - well, by accident in fact.

how it happened. just moved into a landed house and we asked a contractor to do some reno to the house. but the thing is....

when material are being delivered, i was telling my friend and the contractor, the materials' are just too much .even for a normal layman,he can see without doing any measuring/calculation.

well,true enough.after almost all are about to complete i'm left with 2 mounds of sand and gravels !!! and they're not even 50% used up...even the bricks are plenty.

so,i looked around and decided to build a fresh water fish pond. - i have salt water aquarium before so i know some things about water pH, ammonia and nitrates and so on.so, i searched the net for a better filtration solution .

and i stumbled upon Aquaponics. and well, why not ? it's also a hobby and may be also for my retirement .if this can give me an income...

so, i searched the net and found Accent in BKK for supplies and also an plastioc drums ( an earlier thread )

so, I NEED PLENTY OF HELP !! LOL...

1st question.

some site says - remove the solid fish waste , some says no need.... answers ?

2nd.

i intend to use wood for some of the structures and at some places for esthetic purposes.

how should i treat the wood against termites - CHEMICALS are bad ,right ?

thks !!!!

Hi tmaker,

1. Remove solids the and remineralise them offline,decant the clear water after turning off the air and add it back into the system,this reduces the oxygen demand on your media beds.

2. Treat the wood against termites but make sure you keep the wood away from the water,you don’t want anything leaching back into the water,or use concrete.

3. Instead of the blue barrels you could use the black bins the Thais use to mix cement in.

4.It is very difficult to make an income from aquaponics,your initial outlay is high,running cost have to be taken into account and it is difficult to get more money than the local Thai produce.I can sell everything i grow but i can’t charge much more than the local produce,we are going to start selling Tilapia with a pick your own,that way i reduce wastage and the shopper gets a much fresher product.

5.Instead of media why not look at DWC instead,works well for AP,i am in the process of changing over to all DWC.

Anything i can do to help fire away,one good source of information is on the site Backyard Aquaponics,if you look in the Members systems we are Crappy Basil Growers are Us,Andreas Garden.

thka mate.

a LOT of terms to be learned. lol..may need your help to explain more !! or check out Youtube.

anyways, this is not a short term project,I know that the initial cost is high.

I have already spent close to 100 K and it's not even 50 % , i think.. lol...next would be the bins and the piping, then the clay ,then the stock..

i have just registered in Backyard Aquaponics at least 2 weeks already, but haven't got the time to sit back and read forums, tied up with work ( 8 pm everyday ) and then tied up with the setting up in my free time.

what is DWC btw ?

DWC is Deep Water Culture,the extra water can help stabilise the system in regards of PH,nutrients and water temp,last hot season the water temps for me got up to 32c which is struggle to maintain optimum growth,with this coming hot season the tanks are being moved under the house as its always cooler by a considerable margin.The media beds can be radiators,but taking on heat wheres as DWCs with the surface covered in poly floats you have insulation as such,with pipe work covered,water and air and the fish tanks in a suitable fish house you stand a chance of keep water temps at a reasonable level.

another question :

1.for the usage of Bell Siphon - must all the water be removed when the siphon is activated or some can be retained ?

let's say always 1" or 2 " of water remained after the siphon is finished and the top up continues.

2. for the depth of Grow Bed, what is the preferred depth ? is 6" enough ?

advice ?

Edited by tmaker

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys.

tried to look for supplies and so on. no luck..

mailed Robert ( i think ) from Aquaponics Thailand... - THERE IS NO TELEPHONE NUMBER !!

but no reply and it is already 2 weeks.

any other way to get him ?

thanks.

hi guys.

tried to look for supplies and so on. no luck..

mailed Robert ( i think ) from Aquaponics Thailand... - THERE IS NO TELEPHONE NUMBER !!

but no reply and it is already 2 weeks.

any other way to get him ?

thanks.

You probably haven't got a reply because they were at HortiAsia2015 last week,

takes time to set up a booth, do the show, take all the display stuff back to the shop.

or you could use this from their www.

rice555

post-37242-0-51932900-1427095970_thumb.p

Hello All, I dicked around with the links on the L/H side of the Facebook page,

usually usually I don't do FB, but I need some hydrton and they are the only

show in town.

I don't know how big your building, but another option for tanks and cones

is the place in the last 2 pic's and if you want a covered growing area, you

can check out the places that rent/make canopies, some shops may also

install. They have had wider ones than these in the pic.

rice555

post-37242-0-45610800-1427128336_thumb.j

post-37242-0-60485300-1427128409_thumb.j

post-37242-0-97987900-1427128462_thumb.p

thks a lot mate.

i will post up pics hopefully by next week.

i have already covered my 'lawn' with polycarbonte . guess this will do.

GB are already up. tinkering with piping and so on....

next will be the Swirl Filters.

and also 'ringed' my walls with metal nettings.so it's able to let in insects ( bees ) but not birds....

partially also i intend to keep a pair or 2 sun conure and/or Canary in this BIG cage. i do not like the idea of keeping birds in a super tiny cage ( like all those that we can see all the time )

later i will add in Quail birds on the ground.

• 1 month later...

I love threads like this one. I'm reading a lot about aquaponics and am really intetested in getting my own, small system set up - if/when I find the time.

Anyways, just out of curiosity, why are you going to introduce birds into your cage/growing area? What, if any, are the benefits?

I love threads like this one. I'm reading a lot about aquaponics and am really intetested in getting my own, small system set up - if/when I find the time.

Anyways, just out of curiosity, why are you going to introduce birds into your cage/growing area? What, if any, are the benefits?

not sure if there will be any ADDED advantage, just that we like birds in a BIG cage... i do not like to keep birds in tiny cages.

i have a reply on another thread in BYAP where it is NOT recommended to keep parrot family type birds.

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24708