Non-immigrant O visa - How many can I get to be continued ?

Hello,

I got a Non-immigrant O visa (based on not legitimized fatherhood) with one entry, in December 2014 in Savannakhet, with these documents : certificate birth of my son (my name is written on it, as the father), house book of his mother and her ID card.

I am not married, the fatherhood has not been legitimized yet.

I will not extend the visa at the immigration office, they asked me documents which I cannot provide.

Then my question is :

Can I get a second Non-immigrant O visa, based on the not legitimized fatherhood, immediately after the expiration of the current visa (in March), in Savannakhet ?

Thank you very much.

There is no limit to the number of visa you can obtain. You can also extend each entry for 60 days with the documents that you have. Reason 2.24 "visiting famiiy", Immigration often does not mention this.

Thank you Paz.

At the immigration office in Chiang Mai, they asked me to legitimize the fatherhood, and have 400,000 on a bank account. I cannot legitimate the fatherhood now. My son is under 7 years old, and to do it at the court is a big mess (business). Also, I can't show 400,000.

The 2 officers were a little bit agressive ... asking few times the questions, as if I were a criminal. They called also my son's mother 2 times.

If I can get a second (and a third) visa, then it will be fine.

Thank you Paz.

At the immigration office in Chiang Mai, they asked me to legitimize the fatherhood, and have 400,000 on a bank account. I cannot legitimate the fatherhood now. My son is under 7 years old, and to do it at the court is a big mess (business). Also, I can't show 400,000.

That is when you apply for cause 2.19 - 1 year extension. But for reason 2.24 - 60 days extensions no money needs to be in the bank and no legitimization is needed. Just write "60 days" for reason "visiting family" on the form.

You should really legitimize your parenthood. it's not difficult as you think it is. No need to show any money to legitimize.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

In Chiang Mai, to legitimize the fatherhood, it needs that the kid is 7 years old, or go to the court (but I have not the money to pay the lawyer.

About the extension, I filled the form and said them clearly : 60 days, to visit my son.

And I said to them also that people can get it.

But no, they don't want.

Maybe because, previously, I got a double entry tourist visa.

Edited by kensington

But I did it.

I filled the form and said them clearly : 60 days, to visit my son.

And I said to them also that people can get it.

But no, they don't want.

You should have asked to speak with the supervisor and pointed to the printed regulation. - I have linked it above. It also helps to go there with a calm, educated Thai person.

Edited by paz

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:
Permission shall be granted for one time and no more than 60 days.

(1) There must be proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Copy of household registration certificate
4. Copy of national ID card of the person having Thai nationality 5. Copy of a marriage certificate or copy of a birth certificate

I have been on a non O multi entry for almost 10 years now. My son will be 9 in April. Never had an issue getting a new one.

However, I am tired of the 90 day border runs and the annual renewal, so I think this year I will go for the 5 year Thai Elite visa. I did the math, it will actually be cheaper than what I spend every year on border runs and a renewal. w00t.gif

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 2

Note also that in your OP you ask if you can get a 2nd non-imm O immediately after the expiration of the current one, this makes me wonder if you are aware that
you can do a border hop just before the expiration date, and this will provide you with a stamp to stay a further 90 days. This allows you to use your 1st non-0 for 1 year and 3 months, meaning you would not need to apply for the 2nd until June. I am assuming here that you have not already done this, and the expiration date you refer to is the year end date.

Note also that in your OP you ask if you can get a 2nd non-imm O immediately after the expiration of the current one, this makes me wonder if you are aware that

you can do a border hop just before the expiration date, and this will provide you with a stamp to stay a further 90 days. This allows you to use your 1st non-0 for 1 year and 3 months, meaning you would not need to apply for the 2nd until June. I am assuming here that you have not already done this, and the expiration date you refer to is the year end date.

The OP only has a single entry non-o visa not a multiple entry.

Hello,

I will legitimize the fatherhood in about 2 years. It needs my kid to be 7 years to do it. (I will not adopt my own kid) :)

I met the officers again.

The document provided by Lite Beer seemed to make them change their decision.

I will get the extension today.

Big Kiss for Lite Beer.

Thanks also to all guys

I will confirm that I get the extension in few hours.

You do not have to wait until you child is 7 year old to do the legitimization. That is the normal date that an Amphoe would do it. You can go through the family court and do it before they are 7 years old. It is not an adoption when going through the court.

Indeed, nevertheless, the officers in the Court tried to force me to use the service of a lawyer, Which I refuse as I cannot afford it for now.

We should be able to achieve that process by ourself at the court, but I heard that then they don't make it easy.

And now my kid's mother has no time much.

So I put off this thing to do.

Just go back to Savannakhet and get a new Non -O Multiple Entry. My neighbour is doing it for years, never a problem.

Savannakhet will not do a multiple entry non-o for being the parent of a Thai unless a person is the legal father of the child by way of legitimization.

Thank you Paz.

That is when you apply for cause 2.19 - 1 year extension. But for reason 2.24 - 60 days extensions no money needs to be in the bank and no legitimization is needed. Just write "60 days" for reason "visiting family" on the form.

You should really legitimize your parenthood. it's not difficult as you think it is. No need to show any money to legitimize.

Kensington,
If you are on good foot with mum, you can legalize father ship at the Amphor (certificate Khor.Ror 11). Very easy and done in “one stop”; you need mum and ID, child and birth certificate (and ID, if child has one, or other photo ID from for example kindergarten or school), and yourself and passport – normally the registrar at the Amphor’s one-stop-office supply 2 witness from staff, but you can check in advance if you need to bring witness yourself. Think there was a minimal fee; I did that procedure myself last year.
smile.png

Hi KhunPer,

Thank you for your message.

We went once in the Amphor in a district of Chiang Mai. They refused to legimize the fatherhood as the kid is under 7 years age.

That is normal procedure, although the law doesn't give an actual age. Age 7 is the common rule. When the child goes to elementary school you could try it with a letter from the headmaster confirming you are the father. It sometimes works, but not sure.

• Like 1