What is the Most Useful Certificate?

hdkane

My two cents is he should consider either the TESL/TEFL or CELTA that is at least 120 hour of instruction in a brick and mortar (not online) program with a teaching component. The TESL/TEFL is an American/Canadian based credential where the CELTA is through the British Council. BOTH do the same thing as far as qualifications go. You can even get a CELTA in North America as I recall or a TESL/TEFL in other countries.

I work in Saudi Arabia side by side with CELTA instructors, and I have the TESL/TEFL. If he just wants to stay in Thailand then take the 60 hours training. I have a suspicion that in the not too distant future Thailand is going to fall inline behind other ASEAN countries that want to have better qualified instructors so their students can compete in the global academic market. if he really wants to make a difference get a full on 120 minimum certificate. Why 120 hrs? That is what many schools and universities have determined to be the minimum number of hours of instruction it takes to learn the basic concepts of second language teaching before they will consider hiring an instructor.

I can tell you the view from the Middle East is that the ASEAN countries are becoming more attractive to foreign investment and as weird as it might seem, Thailand wants to be a major player. Yes imagine that.

TEFL/TESL are not American/Canadian based credentials.

CELTA is not through the British Council.

• Like 2

There are so many people doing a PGCEi nowadays that within a few years it'll almost become redundant. It doesn't test your teaching skills in the slightest, all it's testing is can you write four essays.

Get a real one and then you will have no issues in the future.

It seems to be good enough to get a teacher license from the teachers council of Thailand so what's your point?

Redundant? What the hell are you talking about?

A real one?

A real PGCE from back home, giving you QTS. Obviously that's not obtainable in Thailand, but the OP isn't in Thailand. If he's planning on living a good life here in the future it's a necessity.

They may not become 'redundant' per se, but with a high amount of people completing the PGCEi it will mean that at some point in the foreseeable future it won't mean as much as it does now. I know a few people who have completed it and got jobs in lower level International Schools. That certainly won't be the norm in a few years.

Also yes, it is good enough to get you the teaching licence from the highly esteemed Krusapa, but so is a chuffing online course from the Philippines. I'd take anything Krusapa say and do with a pinch of salt. Remember, they could changes their rules this afternoon.

There are so many people doing a PGCEi nowadays that within a few years it'll almost become redundant.

Are you actually arguing that popularity equals redundancy? Hilarious.

Far from it. However, with more teachers obtaining it, who in turn will then be all vying for the same kind of jobs (i.e EP and lower International Schools) there won't be a guarantee of getting a decent job after.

I may have worded it wrong in my original post, but if the OP is serious about living here then completing a PGCE or B.Ed with QTS is the best bet. If you have that qualification then you'll always be guaranteed work within good / very good establishments.

There are so many people doing a PGCEi nowadays that within a few years it'll almost become redundant. It doesn't test your teaching skills in the slightest, all it's testing is can you write four essays.

Get a real one and then you will have no issues in the future.

How do you get a "real one" while working and living in Thailand?
As I wrote in reply to another post, the OP's friend isn't in Thailand.