It's time to reform Thai Buddhism

webfact

they could start with practicing the religion

Is Thai Buddhism a religion or a teaching?

Yes please, reform it post haste! I am sick of seeing monks smoking cigarettes, driving pick-ups or riding 3 wheelers....and I have heard there are some who drink alcohol and fraternize with woman.

Totally disgusting behavior!

And eating meat or wearing 2nd hand animal skins.

• Like 1

they could start with practicing the religion

you are correct, there is no chicago or cambodia or thailand buddhism. there is only buddhism. seems the thai wing has re-defined itself. a downright shame :-)
  • Like 1

Yes please, reform it post haste! I am sick of seeing monks smoking cigarettes, driving pick-ups or riding 3 wheelers....and I have heard there are some who drink alcohol and fraternize with woman.

That means you didn't hear about the bad cases.....

Pedophiles are not only a problem of the catholic church.....

There is no such thing as Thai Buddhism, it is Theravada Buddhism.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/whats-thera.htm

However if they are talking about the Dhammakaya then this is a branch movement in some ways similar to Mahayana it seems.

Personally I would suggest that the essence of the religion remains the same. It simply manifests itself as a reflection of the present culture and society. In effect the religion is showing us the state of culture and society as it stands. It is not the religion that needs changing is it?

• Like 2

Ordinary worshippers are partly to blame presumably for allowing themselves to be conned into believing that lavish gifts, money, pimping young family members etc is an acceptable, even necessary, way to make merit.

And blessing their cars. Every time I visit a particularly scenic Wat there's some farang fool there with his teerak wanting her new Solus blessed.

Way to reform Thai Buddhism, do away with the Animist bits.for starters.

Where there's money there's politics. Seems that some abbots have fallen in with the right-wing and become part of the elite.

This monk is rather special due to reasons which can't be discussed as in the forum's policy and the law.

Let's just say that this monk is as influential as can be.

Does anyone know how old he is?

May I ask which spiritual path you are on which advocates judgement like this?

Some monks are in for a few days before they get married, some are institutionalized - have some compassion.

Why not go and talk to the next monk you see smoking and tell him you think is is disgusting? Because you are full of ****.

I agree that driving a pick up is disgusting :cheesy:

Edited by Neeranam

It is the fate of all religions to be corrupted with time.

BTW what is "Thai" Buddhism?

What do you think it is - Buddhism as it is practiced in Ecuador?

Good answer but Thai Buddhism is a mixture of Theravada Buddhism and varying degrees of Animism, Hinduism and Fetishism.

Where there's money there's politics. Seems that some abbots have fallen in with the right-wing and become part of the elite.

This monk is rather special due to reasons which can't be discussed as in the forum's policy and the law.

Let's just say that this monk is as influential as can be.

Does anyone know how old he is?

He is 71. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Neeranam

The term Thai Buddhism i lack of education and information becaue it dosn't exist. It is the Theravada school in Thailand supposed to be the original way but there are many others to ; Two major extant branches of Buddhism are generally recognized: Theravada ("The School of the Elders") and Mahayana ("The Great Vehicle"). Theravada has a widespread following in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar etc.). Mahayana is found throughout East Asia (China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan etc.) and includes the traditions of Pure Land, Zen, Nichiren Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Shingon, and Tiantai (Tendai). In some classifications, Vajrayana—practiced mainly in Tibet and Mongolia, and adjacent parts of China and Russia—is recognized as a third branch, with a body of teachings attributed to Indian siddhas, while others classify it as a part of Mahayana.

• Like 1

However if they are talking about the Dhammakaya then this is a branch movement in some ways similar to Mahayana it seems.

Personally I would suggest that the essence of the religion remains the same. It simply manifests itself as a reflection of the present culture and society. In effect the religion is showing us the state of culture and society as it stands. It is not the religion that needs changing is it?

• Like 1

The term Thai Buddhism i lack of education and information becaue it dosn't exist. It is the Theravada school in Thailand supposed to be the original way but there are many others to ; Two major extant branches of Buddhism are generally recognized: Theravada ("The School of the Elders") and Mahayana ("The Great Vehicle"). Theravada has a widespread following in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar etc.). Mahayana is found throughout East Asia (China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan etc.) and includes the traditions of Pure Land, Zen, Nichiren Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Shingon, and Tiantai (Tendai). In some classifications, Vajrayana—practiced mainly in Tibet and Mongolia, and adjacent parts of China and Russia—is recognized as a third branch, with a body of teachings attributed to Indian siddhas, while others classify it as a part of Mahayana.

I disagree - there is Thai Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism etc.

100% Go to the top of the class. You dead right in each of your points.

My wife was just telling me that there is a move on at the moment, by the Buddhist National Administrators to identify fake monks. Apparently inspectors are going around and reviewing monk's ID cards. There must be something on there that indicates whether the monk has been officially ordained. There is probably some merit in this, even though Khaosan Rd would be able to knock forged cards out.

Just as a side note, there are thousands of Thais out there that aren't too happy about the watering down of practices of some monks either. I have seen very old Thais very much saddened by it. As some have said its not the philosophy of Buddhism that is broken.

• Like 1