Very small flies in rubish bag

Anthony5

I usually put empty packages and so more in a shopping bag that sits on the kitchen counter. There are no food leftovers in, but there might be an empty milk brick or a Styrofoam which are used for pack raw meat. I close the bag and throw it outside in the garbage bin at the end of the day.

All my windows and doors have mosquito screens so normally no insects can come inside.

Yesterday evening I noticed there were many very small flies in the bag, so I threw it away right away.I checked the kitchen but couldn't find any more flies, but anyway I sprayed with Chaindrite inside all cabinets and behind them.The flies are not the small fruitflies that always aim at your eyes, they are little bit bigger and you can clearly see they have wings.

Today I had a new bag sitting on the counter which had only a single empty milk brick inside and some waste papers, no food packagings or whatever. The bag was tied, but when I returned home this evening there were again many of those minuscule flies inside the bag, and even a few outside the bag.

Again I threw it outside right away and checked all cabinets inside and outside, but could not discover a single fly. However they must be somewhere inside the house, otherwise it is impossible that so many can get in with all doors and windows closed.

Any idea how to get rid of them, or even locate them?

F.Y.I the kitchen counter is in concrete with granite on top.

Fruit flies more than likely,come on mate,with over 2000 posts,you must know this.

What has post count to do with knowledge about fruit flies?

Did you bother to read the OP and notice that I said they are little bigger than fruit flies?

Even if it were fruit flies then I'm still interested to know how they get inside in large numbers, with all doors an windows closed, and are only inside the bag but nowhere else in the house.

Time flies like the wind.

But fruit flies like bananas.

Keep your refuse sealed up in closed plastic bags and dispose of your refuse often

Remember, one insect can lay thousands of eggs if they find the right place ( your refuse ) to lay the eggs.

Even if you spray everything, you are not killing all of them and as I stated..it only takes one to start a new infestation.

Good housekeeping is the best preventive...especially in the warm tropics.

Choke dee

• Like 1

Time flies like the wind.

But fruit flies like bananas.

Keep your refuse sealed up in closed plastic bags and dispose of your refuse often

Remember, one insect can lay thousands of eggs if they find the right place ( your refuse ) to lay the eggs.

Even if you spray everything, you are not killing all of them and as I stated..it only takes one to start a new infestation.

Good housekeeping is the best preventive...especially in the warm tropics.

Choke dee

Thanks for the response. It only amazes me that I can't see them when I look for them.

I was thinking of buying one of those smoke bombs they sell at Big C. Would that get rid of them?

I have these small bugs that seem to buzz around my head....really bad when its hot out.....also why do I sweat so much it really bothers me a great deal......oh and this itch, dont get me started on that......

It are definitely not those. I have them also outside the house, and they stick to any loose hanging string or wire, but they are so small that you can't see the wings.

The ones in the bag have visible wings.

You have my sympathy Anthony5. Seems you're bugged at home and bugged on here. The problem is you live in the tropics which is also an attractive place for bug-life. The question should be 'do these wee fekkers bite? If not, count yersel' fekn lucky and dinae keep yer rubbish in a plazy bag on yer kitchen work surface.

• Like 1

OP some of the posters in this thread are just reacting because you made a thread about their not so distant cousins.

Anyway, I think I know what you mean. The ones that go for the eyes will be out in force now it's getting hotter. I think those are the first responders for corpses so the eyes are the best way in.

The ones you are actually referring to may not be laying their eggs where you think they would be. As another poster said, it's about good house-keeping, but simply emptying the bin regularly isn't the only answer. I had a problem with tiny flies in and around my shower room and sink. Eventually I realized they were there because of a build-up of black guck at the back of the toilet. After bleaching the living daylights out of it and keeping it that way they all but disappeared completely.

My input is that they probably get in when you least expect it, like when you nip onto the balcony for a cigarette, then once just one of them is in, during that few seconds the door opened, it will home in on anywhere that damp or cover is available and start laying. So yeah, bins will attract visitors, but they can turn into resident populations very quickly and the bin is often merely the locale of a desirable residence, just like we might choose an apartment because it's next to a park, it doesn't mean we will actually sleep in the park.

Some will lay eggs in the bin and get emptied with the trash, but others will find better places within a reasonable commute.

Edited by Squeegee
  • Like 1

Had exactly the same problem, and here is how I solved it:

Firstly, these little pests can get in anywhere, most likely from gaps in-between and underneath external doors, open doors and the minutest gaps in-between window frames, mossie shields and even gaps in ceiling tiles. You will find that they are entering from the outside and not basing themselves inside the home. Search your home you won`t find any hiding away somewhere.

We had this problem for years, they were driving me crazy. OK, solution: buy one of those small plastic dustbins, the 1ft high by 1ft wide at the top jobs with a lid and keep it in your kitchen. Place a plastic shopping bag inside the bin as a liner. Throw the waste directly into the bag inside the bin and place the lid on immediately. At the end of the day, take out the filled shopping bag, tie it up at the top and dispose of it into your main bin outside. About once a week give the inside of the bin a clean, and that`s it, you`re done, guaranteed no more flies. If you fill several shopping bags with rubbish per day, than you can either keep emptying the bin once full or buy a larger bin to suit your requirements.

Another point is that these flies love to hang out around damp towels and cleaning cloths. So change to clean tea-towels regularly and keep your washing up cloths in a lidded container if possible.

This works, trust me on this one.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Had exactly the same problem, and here is how I solved it:

Firstly, these little pests can get in anywhere, most likely from gaps in-between and underneath external doors, open doors and the minutest gaps in-between window frames, mossie shields and even gaps in ceiling tiles. You will find that they are entering from the outside and not basing themselves inside the home. Search your home you won`t find any hiding away somewhere.

We had this problem for years, they were driving me crazy. OK, solution: buy one of those small plastic dustbins, the 1ft high by 1ft wide at the top jobs with a lid and keep it in your kitchen. Place a plastic shopping bag inside the bin as a liner. Throw the waste directly into the bag inside the bin and place the lid on immediately. At the end of the day, take out the filled shopping bag, tie it up at the top and dispose of it into your main bin outside. About once a week give the inside of the bin a clean, and that`s it, you`re done, guaranteed no more flies. If you fill several shopping bags with rubbish per day, than you can either keep emptying the bin once full or buy a larger bin to suit your requirements.

Another point is that these flies love to hang out around damp towels and cleaning cloths. So change to clean tea-towels regularly and keep your washing up cloths in a lidded container if possible.

This works, trust me on this one.

I actually like most people use the shopping bags to collect my refuse. I don't have the dustbin but tie up the bag closely after each time I insert something, and never put food leftovers in it. By the end of the day I throw the bag in the dustbin streetside.

But even with the tied up bag they get inside. Will pay some closer attention now.

Issue with small flies escalates. I still can't see them, sprayed daily with Chaindrite and another insecticide for flying insects.

As soon as I start to make food, even while I prepare a sandwich, 4- 5 of them crawl over the plate.

How do I get rid of them?

Issue with small flies escalates. I still can't see them, sprayed daily with Chaindrite and another insecticide for flying insects.

As soon as I start to make food, even while I prepare a sandwich, 4- 5 of them crawl over the plate.

Cannot see why you still have a problem. I have already explained how to remedy the situation.

If you continue to spray Chaindrite, not only will this chemical contaminate the kitchen area, but also damage your lungs and chest as this stuff is strong enough to bring down an elephant.

post-110219-0-89592200-1425207350_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Cannot see why you still have a problem. I have already explained how to remedy the situation.

If you continue to spray Chaindrite, not only will this chemical contaminate the kitchen area, but also damage your lungs and chest as this stuff is strong enough to bring down an elephant.

There is no rubbishj in the house anymore since my first post. It's taken out every few hours.

They are not on the refuse bags, they are on the food while I'm preparing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the small insects.

I have managed to catch some with vinegar and dish washing liquid and take some pictures. The fotos are taken with a 13mp camera with 4x digital zoom, so you will understand that they are very small.

At night with all windows and doors closed they eat me alive. They look like very small wasps, but I don't think that is what they are.

Any suggestions what they are and how I can get rid of them?

post-222439-0-76771400-1426350340_thumb.post-222439-0-61710200-1426350348_thumb.post-222439-0-41280500-1426350334_thumb.post-222439-0-41458400-1426350337_thumb.

.....I've encountered those pesky little nats I call them. They like dark, black/ blue hiding places. Inside shoes, black plastic bags. So during the day set up black bag traps. I open up a plastic bag near an outside door. During the night they congregate in the bag. in the morning I quickly tie up the bag.Lay it out in the sun, and by noon they all have died because of the heat inside the bag. No bug spray is needed. After several days of doing this, I have eradicated the problem. Indoors, the problem may be the kitchen drain or shower drain. Keep them covered with those circular screened mesh you see in the stores. In time, those little pesky nats/flies will be a thing of the past. Outside your house, bug spray can be used in those manhole covers running along your property lines.

Keep your lawns or shrubbery cut away from the house, remove plant trash, tidy up the yard of rubbish. That should take care of outside nats.

They're gone.

Two days ago I poured bleach in all sinks and drains in the house, and put out several traps, containing vinegar with a drop of dish washing soap.

The next day many dead bodies in the traps, and as of tonight I haven't been attacked once, and also no flies crawling over my food while I'm preparing it.