Housing And Crime

Maui John

Aloha,

Housing:

Is it possible to get housing rentals in the greater (including rural) Chiang Rai area that approach western standards and have enough distance from a neighbor that you can't hear the karoke machine?

How much would such a place cost to rent?

Please describe in general terms what the following rent levels buy you:

4000 baht/ month:

8000 baht/ month:

12,000 baht/ month:

16,000 baht/ month:

Ideally I'd like to rent a nice big house of near western standards on a decent size piece of property, large enough to create an oasis of monastic like peace and quiet.

Crime:

How do the crime rates compare to the west? As a farang, do you become a target like in central american countries, or are things fairly safe in Chiang Rai?

Mahalo Plenny,

John

Aloha,

Housing:

Is it possible to get housing rentals in the greater (including rural) Chiang Rai area that approach western standards and have enough distance from a neighbor that you can't hear the karoke machine?

4000 baht/ month:

8000 baht/ month:

12,000 baht/ month:

16,000 baht/ month:

Ideally I'd like to rent a nice big house of near western standards on a decent size piece of property, large enough to create an oasis of monastic like peace and quiet.

Crime:

How do the crime rates compare to the west? As a farang, do you become a target like in central american countries, or are things fairly safe in Chiang Rai?

Mahalo Plenny,

John

Here is a link where you can find Houses for Rent in Chiang Rai area: // website removed //

These are houses probably on the top, high prices. You can find much cheaper houses here talking to people.

About crimes : I would say, you are very safe here. I have never lost anything here in 4.5 years (except mya heart) :o .

I am not afraid to walk around even in middle of the night in BKK. Of course bad things happens also here in CR but it is very seldom. Crimerate is much lower here compared to west. Farangs are not a target.

Mentioning of websites and telephone numbers is not allowed by the rules of the forum.

Sensitive information can be exchanged by PM.

Limbo

Edited by Limbo

Aloha,

Housing:

4000 baht/ month:

8000 baht/ month:

12,000 baht/ month:

16,000 baht/ month:

Crime:

Mahalo Plenny,

John

The type of rental property you've described would be at the upper end of the price range you listed. And, as Svenivan said about crime, farangs are not necessarily targeted - it is usually a very personal conflict that causes problems.

:o Mymechew

Thanks for the replies. I'm impressed with the type of houses on the lana realty site. I didn't know what to expect after reading the allaboutpai.com website and seeing that nice fellow living in a dive. In fact, most of the Pai photos on his site made the area look too 3rd world for my tastes.

I'm glad to see that Chaing Rai is many steps improved! I'm not rich and am a cheapskate in most regards, but will spend a larger amount of my budget on housing in order to be comfortable.

Edited by Maui John

I would LOVE to live in CR after staying there for a spell. BUT, the TW wouldn't be happy there...she needs to be closer to the family. :o

IMO CR the best area of Thailand to live.

Sorry LoveDaBlues, but the most happy farangs with Thaiwifes lives far, far away from the wifes family. She can chat on telephone, she might be able to email and she can take the bus to see the family a couple of times a year.

And you can have your beer, chocolate, fancy food etc etc in the fridge and there is no uncle, cousin, sister or brother that empty your fridge a couple of times a week.

And the terrace is not occupied by some far relatives, you can see the news from BBC because there are no auntie that needs to see the latest episode in the Thai soap. Etc, etc, etc......

I am a very happy farang with a lady from Isaan!!

:D:D:D

Aloha,

Housing:

4000 baht/ month: 2-3 bedroom 1-storey house near or in town. Probably unfurnished. Cheapest house you should be able for 2500. They are there, but not always easy to find. Real Estate agents dont want to advertise them since they get little commission on them. For 4k you should be able to find a quiet house, though is often is very hard in Thailand.

8000 baht/ month: You can get a 2-storey house with nice garden for this price. If anything available I believe country home charges this. Country home is a village with security, large gardens, usually furnished. House are made of cheap materials and some houses got problems with rain coming down. Check the house before moving in. Real estate agents will be advertising for this price as well.

12,000 baht/ month: You can get a very nice furnished house with everything new.

16,000 baht/ month: You can get an even nicer house with even nicer furniture.

Crime:

Mahalo Plenny,

John

Crime:

Mahalo Plenny,

John

I have had sabotage made to my motorbike 3 times. Dont worry about serious crime, and dont encourage it either. People are nice and honest in generel.

Crime:

Mahalo Plenny,

John

I have had sabotage made to my motorbike 3 times. Dont worry about serious crime, and dont encourage it either. People are nice and honest in generel.

Unintentional crime happens often, a scrape on the car door, a dent in the fender, etc. Without initiating a feudal situation with a Thai, in which you have seriously made the person lose face infront of friends, family and co-workers, the chances of having anything significant happen to you is close to the less than 1% range in Chiang Rai.

You often hear about crimes in Bangkok or Pattaya or Phuket, usually involving a woman, etc. Well, if you know anything about these places....nough said.

CRG