BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Phuket court rules 'secured' or 'collective' leases are void

Well I've said it before ... You'd have to be a complete and utter moron to buy property in Thailand. Who in their right mind would think about handing over 51% of their assets to what is little more than a nation of thieves?

It's a shame the UK, US and EU countries don't apply the same rules to Thais but of course we understand the importance of foreign investment and we also know that they can't dig it up and take it with them.

The other issue has for many years been pricing; in most cases the property market especially in areas such as Phuket, are so over the top it beggars belief anyone would think they are buying a home / villa or apartment of good investment value.

I honestly cannot understand how anyone could be stupid enough to buy property in Thailand ... there again the Nigerian 419 Scam continues to catch the very stupid and greedy and I can only conclude that the expats who brought property in Thailand fall into both categories.

Buy a condo, do it legally and securely in foreign name......that's the only way.....other than that, there may one day be an almighty pull on the rope that has allowed company purchases, and any lease agreements that has been entered into....... If I was a 25 year old lovely, I'd give you a thirty year lease no worries......But you would only get one lease...There would be no renewal...Then I'd own your house when I am 55.....In fact, I may own two or three........and God forbid if something tragic should happen to you in the next 3 or 4 years.....Then I'd own them all a lot sooner. As they say, make sure the door doesn't slam into your arse on the way out. clap2.gif

Well I've said it before ... You'd have to be a complete and utter moron to buy property in Thailand. Who in their right mind would think about handing over 51% of their assets to what is little more than a nation of thieves?

It's a shame the UK, US and EU countries don't apply the same rules to Thais but of course we understand the importance of foreign investment and we also know that they can't dig it up and take it with them.

The other issue has for many years been pricing; in most cases the property market especially in areas such as Phuket, are so over the top it beggars belief anyone would think they are buying a home / villa or apartment of good investment value.

I honestly cannot understand how anyone could be stupid enough to buy property in Thailand ... there again the Nigerian 419 Scam continues to catch the very stupid and greedy and I can only conclude that the expats who brought property in Thailand fall into both categories.

I totally agree with this. What needs to be done is reform of property rights. I do not see a problem if you allow legal residence to own property here in Thailand Restrict it to residential housing. This will not only boost real estate prices in Thailand but also level the playing field as well. Thais can own land in most other countries MR Prime Minister

Your land ownership laws are archaic. If you retire or work here then its known people who own their own place look after far better then renters. Thais can own in other countries

Although this is not the route problem with Thai society it is a branch problem that needs to be addressed. Heck even if you are not a resident in other countries you can still own a house.

This is the 21st century and a global community Its time Thailand stepped up to the plate

in line with the current admin's policy of excluding foreigners and setting the clocks back?

well the easy way out is for the Government to offer 90 years lease as many countries do

i think that if one has gone through this whole procedure legally with the 2 parties, Lawyers, banks, Land Office, etc., got the chanote and appropriate signed stamped documents and in the mind that they have entered in good faith a legal contract - only to be told that it didnt exist is opening the door to many civil and consumer court cases.

So i will be watching this one to see how it pans out.

But then again as the Thai's say "if you werent in Thailand then it would not have happened" - so I suppose this is the best legal strategy.

All very sad but what makes me laugh more than anything are all the people who come on here and tell us just how wonderful the Thais are.

A new regime and the first thing they do is check what they can grab from the falang.

We are despised by these people and smiled at all the while. The sign of a truly deadly enemy.

Comments usually made by people who can't afford to buy a property. There are a lot of very high end villas owned by very wealthy and extremely investment savvy people.

why buy in thailand ,go to place where you buy and get what you pay for lot places in the world got beaches/sun/girls/beer without all the problems

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

[/quote

It depends when you bought, what the exchange rate was when you bought, where you bought and if the asset was in your name.

I have done very well out of it overall.

Totally agree with you. The UK should enforce the same rules but then of course Thais would be complaining of unfair treatment

For a Thai to own land here and overseas may seem like a wonderful prospect for them, but not allowing a foreigner to do the same may have consequences at some time for Thailand...

I can just imagine the all the old farts renting a 2,000 baht bedsit in some dump gleefully rubbing there hands together. Must be feeling very good about themselves today.

why buy in thailand ,go to place where you buy and get what you pay for lot places in the world got beaches/sun/girls/beer without all the problems

Ecuador tops the list I believe.

Yes, it is time. After so many years Thailand is finally finished.

No surprise too bad for the farang who has invested his life savings. As Stickman said once just RENT

At the end of the day if you cant own land 100% in your name essentially all you are doing is buying the right to live somewhere so you may as well rent its not that expensive and the best thing about it you can "Flee the scene" if there are any major problems that the owner should be taking care of but does not.

I can just imagine the all the old farts renting a 2,000 baht bedsit in some dump gleefully rubbing there hands together. Must be feeling very good about themselves today.

Are we worried that the Thais may do what the emperor could not do...........take the house of Mu'adib.

I read it as the worse case is any 90 year lease that starts with the 30 year lease, the entire contract could be voided and even the initial 30 year lease could be void. This sounds possibly like the beginnings of a "nationalization" of Thai properties. See Venezuala and recent company and company asset siezures.