BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Phuket court rules 'secured' or 'collective' leases are void

About time... Let's see if Hua Hin is next, the stand alone homes that Euro. buy via a Thai broker is not legal, yet, they keep getting built. My guess, Hua Hin does the same practice. As I said once before, you got a Russian selling land in Hua Hin area...go figure.

hi guys , not sure i get that right.

Farang bought a lease of appartment. They sold him the 3*30 years stuff wich means. He registered a lease of 30 years and he signed an other contract stating that the developer will renew for free 2*30 years more. Is that correct ?

In this case this other " contract " is illegal and means nothing because its not allowed by laws to give 90 years.

Now the farang go to court for some reasons , and he shows this piece of paper. Court rules that this is illegal and then cancel the first one ?

How can they cancel a 30 years " official " lease based on a paper who is basically toilet paper because it does not have any legal power.

Am i missing something here ?

why buy in thailand ,go to place where you buy and get what you pay for lot places in the world got beaches/sun/girls/beer without all the problems

Ecuador tops the list I believe.

Yes, it is time. After so many years Thailand is finally finished.

This part is off topic but Ecuador is no longer the haven. Unlike Thailand it hasn't had a building boom and there's a shortage of housing, even for the natives.

On topic, I suspect there will be a lot of formerly smug and even wealthy expats who fell into a variation of this trap and are screwed. Sometimes people are just determined to outsmart themselves.

In Thailand if people would just rent, there would be no houses lost to bar girls and bar girls wouldn't latch onto a green pea who would buy her a house. Relationships would have to be based on something different.

There are many expats who have already lost homes without this new crackdown, and now there will be more and many of the homes will be very expensive losses.

Sad, but not my fault.

So are they saying that anyone that signed a 30 year lease, built a house on there girl friends land is now totally screwed.

looks like that to me .

I don't think so, since this ruling is about 90 years leases, not the 30 years ones.

Farang bought a lease of appartment. They sold him the 3*30 years stuff wich means. He registered a lease of 30 years and he signed an other contract stating that the developer will renew for free 2*30 years more. Is that correct ?

In this case this other " contract " is illegal and means nothing because its not allowed by laws to give 90 years.

Now the farang go to court for some reasons , and he shows this piece of paper. Court rules that this is illegal and then cancel the first one ?

How can they cancel a 30 years " official " lease based on a paper who is basically toilet paper because it does not have any legal power.

He did not sign another contract, he signed just one contract, for 3 x 30 years. And that is legally not possible, therefor apparently invalid and void.

The simple solution here is to find a nice place, owned by a Thai, negotiate a decent rent, and sign a 2 year lease. It works. Why is it we need to own something forever. Last time I checked, we all have expirations dates.

He did not sign another contract, he signed just one contract, for 3 x 30 years. And that is legally not possible, therefor apparently invalid and void.

Well he had to sign an other contract no ? by that i mean he signed a lease at the land office for 30 years. There is no way he could sign a lease of 30*3 at the land office ?

By an other contrat i mean , he goes to sign a 30 years lease at land office , which is legal , and he have an other contract stating that the developer will renew it 2 times ?

How i understand this:
To lease for 30 years maximum time is legal.
A lease with 30 Years + 30 Years + 30 years in one contract is illegal and voit at all.

How would it be if:
i lease legal 30 years from 2015 to 2045
and my daughter lease after from 2045 to 2075
both contracts signed in 2015 for the same pice of land.

Would this be possible aka legal?

bottomline - Thailand is not a place to invest, especially as long as the government is a military dictatorship and the courts are a corrupt, politicized farce.

Just rent. It's cheap and you won't lose a bunch of $.

Let me see if I get this straight. If the Supreme Court rules like the other two then the properties and money paid will all go to Thais. There could be literally 1000's of cases as the previous owners will want to invalidate the lease and kick the people out!!!!

Let me see if I get this straight. If the Supreme Court rules like the other two then the properties and money paid will all go to Thais. There could be literally 1000's of cases as the previous owners will want to invalidate the lease and kick the people out!!!!

It says that this would make 30 year lease void also. crazy

If you leased for up to 30 years, then that contract is legally-binding

If you signed a 30+30 or 30+30+30 lease contract, then that contract is void, which includes your original 30 year term.

Bottom line: Stick to the written law and don't try to circumvent what is clearly stated in Thai Law ==> 30 years maximum lease term.