Farang-friendly Lumber Yards

phatmax

Can anyone recommend a lumber yard that's farang-friendly?

I'd like to build some of my own furniture and stopped by a big lumber yard (behind the BMW dealership on the super highway) yesterday. The service was really bad and the prices seem very high. Took my Thai GF and she said they weren't very helpful in recommending alternative types of wood or answering our other questions. The quote I was given was 124 Bt/meter for 8"x 5/8" "soft wood".

Anyone got a recommendation for a source for lumber - not exotic (not teak)? Am looking for approx. 75 lineal feet of 8" x 5/8".

Theres a big place on road 107 to Mae Rim,

Head North & you'll see it on your right, somewhere near the army base I think.

Its got a big planked office/ show room on the road & the yard behind it.

Some of the girls in the office speak good english, but whether theyre knowledgeable enough to recomend a type of wood I dont know, try asking about Mai Sa, Mai Yang & Mai Japan (these are just the way they sound to me & may not be exactly how you say it).

This yard is not cheap.

I'd like to build some of my own furniture and stopped by a big lumber yard (behind the BMW dealership on the super highway) yesterday. The service was really bad and the prices seem very high. Took my Thai GF and she said they weren't very helpful in recommending alternative types of wood or answering our other questions. The quote I was given was 124 Bt/meter for 8"x 5/8" "soft wood".

Anyone got a recommendation for a source for lumber - not exotic (not teak)? Am looking for approx. 75 lineal feet of 8" x 5/8".

I can't provide you with a source but I'd suggest that you ask for 'marenti' from Malaysia. It is a pseudo mahoghany and easy to work with. Padauk wood (Mai Pradoo) is not rosewood but passes if you close one eye. It is local and very hard and it polishes up fine. Some hustlers call it Chinese rosewood.

If you cross the bridge and head out towards the train station.....half way out, on your left there is a sawmill. They aren't very friendly either.

I'm sure that Blinky eyed Bill fellow could offer a criticism......or a suggestion.

regards......Ken

I can't provide you with a source but I'd suggest that you ask for 'marenti' from Malaysia. It is a pseudo mahoghany and easy to work with. Padauk wood (Mai Pradoo) is not rosewood but passes if you close one eye. It is local and very hard and it polishes up fine. Some hustlers call it Chinese rosewood.

If you cross the bridge and head out towards the train station.....half way out, on your left there is a sawmill. They aren't very friendly either.

I'm sure that Blinky eyed Bill fellow could offer a criticism......or a suggestion.

regards......Ken

Actually Kenneth, I have no criticism this time. :o

I used to buy a lot of timber at a yard on the Doi Saket Road just after the Super Hwy on the right if you are heading out of town, almost next door to the gas distributor. Might not even be there now as I haven't looked for some time.

Timber is expensive everywhere these days, thb124/metre for the dimensions mentioned doesn't seem to be over the top.

> Anyone got a recommendation for a source for lumber - not exotic (not teak)?

Teak is not exotic to Thailand. :o When already in Thailand, I suppose things like Weeping Willows qualify as exotic.

(Teak is native and grows all over the place, though finding teak of ang size/age is of course harder / more expensive)

Edited by chanchao

Wood World has good quality kiln dried wood, well milled but not cheap. They are on the road to Samung between the big road to Hang Dong and the Canal Road, South Side. The shop on the Mae Rim Road is Tawipan I think, and they have an office near the Sanpakoy market on the road that goes to the Train Station, North Side. The shop with the poor service might have been Suksawat, if so, try talking to Jarunee, the daughter of the owner, she is helpful but the sales people like in most shops are not so hot.