British Airhostess Molested By Bangkok Taxi Driver

george

British airhostess molested by taxi driver

BANGKOK: -- An airhostess of British Airways filed complaints with police that she was molested by the taxi driver on her way to her hotel early Saturday morning.

The airhostess was identified as Catherine Norman, 34.

She called police for help on Phetchaburi Road at Marayasdee Intersection in Huaykwang district at 1:30 am.

After police were sent to take her to the Din Daeng police station, she told them that she hired the taxi from a pub on Soi Sukhumvit 11 to the Amari Watergate Hotel.

But the taxi driver tried to molest her during the way, so she fled from the taxi. She was sitting on the back seat.

--The Nation 2006-08-26

Probably one of those scum of the earth taxi mafia guys that sit outside Grand President and The Old German Beer Garden on soi 11.

On 2 occassions they have hurled suggestive comments at a farang girl I was with.

I hate those guys with a passion. I listened to some tourists come out of grand president and negotiate from 600 baht to 400 baht to get to the emporium!

I flagged down a Meter taxi for them and told them it would be 50 baht. They were happy :o Mafia was not.......

I worked for BA for 12 years and know a lot of the crew that stay here frequently at the Amari - pisses me off these scum bags. Its not the first time I know it has happened to BA crew but it is the first time I have seen it reported in the papers.

Edited by dekka007

i always buy a taxi ticket at the booth outside the doors of the airport.

not once have i ever had a problem with a taxi driver from the official desk.

took a unofficial taxi once only and he drove like a maniac.

when im on the street in los, i take a metered taxi and once again never had a problem.

i think some people attract these sort of opportunity artists and would be conned in most places they went to.

cheers :o

Are you serious? What a pair of ridiculous posts. She took a taxi and the man attacked her and you are trying to find a reason to blame her? What is the matter with you?

She wasn't coming from the airport, she was in the city for crying out loud. She wasn't conned, she was attacked!!!

Frankly, because there are more and more reports of single women being assaulted by taxi drivers I make sure to let the guy know I speak Thai, my husband is thai and I have a phone lest he think he can try something funny. My husband won't allow me to take a taxi meter from the airport when I arrive late at night for fear I will be assaulted. And this story just tells me he isn't overreacting.

Sheesh, some people are just clueless.

some people are just clueless

So true (regarding previous posters). I would recommend to try and remember the taxi number and drivers name (should be posted in the cab) whenever you enter a taxi just in case it may be needed. Make it a point that the driver sees this. Applies to both male and female.

Edited by tywais

..i think some people attract these sort of opportunity artists and would be conned in most places they went to.

Can oly report the same...and every coin has 2 sides...! maybe it worked once.. :o

actually stu, these are the posts I was referring to as clueless.

like an earlier post that was deleted by the mod (And my reply).

which basically if u read said he was not suprised because of who she was, what she was wearing and her state after a few drinks and something about she was probably hitting on the driver!!!

I feel the posts should not have been deleted in this case to show the ignorance of some people on TV and perhaps the poster would have posted an apology for his pathetic post.

Edited by dekka007

like an earlier post that was deleted by the mod (And my reply).

which basically if u read said he was not suprised because of who she was, what she was wearing and her state after a few drinks.

I feel the posts should not have been deleted in this case to show the ignorance of some people on TV.

Any man who thinks it is alright to molest a woman because she is an air hostess, has had a few drinks and is wearing sexy clothing needs to have his head examined.

And dekkha, I think the post you are referring to was deleted because it is offensive beyond words.

The poster of the deleted posts should be named and shamed if not banned!

I for one have lost all respect for his posts (The several thousand on TV)...and I would imagine others would also should his name be known.

I know what it is like for these girls - I was involved in a case when I was at BA that one of my cabin crew was molested in Frankfurt by a hotel guest - Excuse given to the police....she was dressed sexily and a little drunk so it was ok...

Its just something I feel strongly about....having seen it time and time again in the airline industry - just because these girls look stunning, like a few drinks when not working and dress sexy.

Edited by dekka007

they were meant to be ironic by satirising the extreme views often posted in answer to topics like this.

the first post blamed the girl , the second blamed the taxi driver.

Oh well that makes it alright then.............still well out of order. I hope one day your wife or girlfriend never has to go through what she did - Then we can all blame your wife.

Edited by dekka007

well , as i said , they were meant to be satirical of a certain posting style.

obviously i dont wish for anyone to be assaulted like that , and i dont hold with the view that women who are not teetotal or back home by 9.30 are asking for trouble.

sorry to have offended anyones sensibilities.

there are rogue taxi drivers out there and my wife wont travel alone by taxi late at night either.

..i think some people attract these sort of opportunity artists and would be conned in most places they went to.

Can oly report the same...and every coin has 2 sides...! maybe it worked once.. :o

you ok SBK ? :D your getting a little kooky there and have misconstrued my post. :D

quiet'en down a bit will you.

cricky's, all i meant was that this was my experience and not generic to all cases.

dont worry about it, as i know you did not mean to get it wrong. :D

shit like that happens and girls should try and stick together :D

look, koh phan gan is a cracking place, if you see my friend mr gracie say hello please.

cheers :D

I am sorry and deeply regret, that you feel offended by my humble addition to this thread - however as it happens that i have been living AND working in the tourism industry for many years, here as elsewhere, I can assure you and everybody else that there are incidents where the 'victim' was somehow, somewhat involved in what caused the resulting molestation!

Alcohol, an 'open' attitude, a sexy outfit, a smile at the wrong time, a guy getting the wrong message, make up, attire - name it.

remember a large variety of possiblilties line up here!

Assumption 1.) fell asleep - tight miniskirt, it slippes up and arouses the cabbies feelings....

Assumption 2.) had a very open attitude and driver felt somewhat 'invited' and started to make approaches..

Asumption 3.) everything is possible...as I wrote: "maybe it worked once!"

None of us has enough information about what actually happend, and what made the driver to react like this - the article in fact gives very little information in General, it tells us that a female reported to the Police that she (supposedly) was molested by a cabby.

And remember: assumed innocent till PROVEN guilty!

FYI: I take the freedom to consider myself neither stu' nor 'clueless', thanks!

Comes the "rape" of the swedish women in Lamai to mind, was a extraordinarily short timeframe, the man left for the room already... Samui Police refused to file a report on this... there were suspicions about honesty .... anyone recalls this one?

What i have witnessed on fullmoon parties on haad rin.... could easely interpretated as 'drug induced rape' the following day...just a thought or 2.

Edited by Samuian

I am sorry and deeply regret, that you feel offended by my humble addition to this thread - however as it happens that i have been living AND working in the tourism industry for many years, here as elsewhere, I can assure you and everybody else that there are incidents where the 'victim' was somehow involved in what caused the resulting molestation!

Alcohol, an 'open' attitude, a smile at the wrong time, a guy getting the wrong message, make up, attire - name it.

remeber a large variety of possiblilties line up here!

Assumption 1.) fell asleep - tight miniskirt, slippes up and arouses the cabbies feelings....

Assumption 2.) had a very open attitude and driver felt somewht 'invited' and started to make approaches..

Asumption 3.) everything is possible...

None of us has enough information about what actually happend, and what made the driver to react like this - the article in fact gives very little information in General, it tells us that a female was 'supposedly' molested by a cabby and reported this to the Police.

And remember assumed innocent till PROVEN guilty!

FYI: I take the freedom to consider myself neither stu' nor 'clueless', thanks!

i'll back my friend samuin 110 % thank you very much punters.

to the people that took offence to our posts im afraid you where barking up the wrong tree so to speak. :D

if you could of asked us what our meanings where, giving us the opportunity to explain, you could off saved your selves a <deleted> load of agro.. :D

to the posters with many posts up i consider this to be poor form.

in my opinion only punters. :D

cheers all :D

Alcohol, an 'open' attitude, a smile at the wrong time, make up, attire - name it.

Ok wait a minute here - A girl drinking in a nightclub, wearing a sexy outfit and smiling and heaven forbid wearing make up (MUST BE UP FOR IT) - Justifies a guy taking advantage?

Assumption 1.) fell asleep - tight miniskirt, slippes up and arouses the cabbies feelings....

Again if such a thing should happen - Justifies a guy taking advantage?

Assumption 2.) had a very open attitude and driver felt somewht 'invited' and started to make approaches..

Girl chats nicely to cabbie - he thinks he can get somewhere trys to put his hand on her - she says NO STOP, he doesnt - Justifies a guy taking advantage?

Edited by dekka007

Alcohol, an 'open' attitude, a smile at the wrong time, make up, attire - name it.

Ok wait a minute here - A girl drinking in a nightclub, wearing a sexy outfit and smiling and heaven forbid wearing make up (MUST BE UP FOR IT) - Justifies a guy taking advantage?

Again if such a thing should happen - Justifies a guy taking advantage?

I did NOT write that it JUSTIFIES anything - you make this up!

Very 'little' happend - someone filed a report with the police that a cabby 'molested' her.... none else!

get real!

by the way when have you last been in a tourist resort at a beach or pool?

and can you remember in which way locals take a bath - do they go topless or ever seen a (decent) Thai female in a string?

Edited by Samuian

I actually know a little bit more than the article presented.

Secondly - I was asking you a question (Hence the ?) whether the things you typed justified a guys actions - I did not say you said they did.

by the way when have you last been in a tourist resort at a beach or pool?

and can you remember in which way locals take a bath - do they go topless or ever seen a (decent) Thai female in a string?

err..Off topic but Ill answer if it concerns you.

1. was at a resort in Hua Hin last week.

2. Take a bath I presume you mean go swimming? - Yes I have, yes I have seen them topless, No I havent seen a Thai girl in a string.

But I dont get how these questions relate?

Edited by dekka007