22-Year-Old Burmese Man Found Dead on Koh Samui

Lite Beer

I feel very sorry for the families and friends of this poor Burmese man and the Burmese woman who was also killed.

These young people dying so early is life is very tragic, not matter where they were working at when they died.

I hope the guilty parties are caught and get to spend a long time in jail for their crimes.

RIP.

Stargeezer

• Like 2

Three Thai Teens Arrested for Murder of Myanmar Migrant Worker Thet Soe on Koh Samui

720x511xthai-sod-news.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.
The three murder suspects re-enact the crime on Koh Samui on 3 March 2015. Photo Khaosod

KOH SAMUI Three local teenagers have been arrested on Koh Samui for the murder of Burmese migrant worker Thet Soe on the Thai island last Friday.
A report in Thailands Khao Sod newspaper quoted the police superintendent in Bo Phut subdistrict as saying that Nai Phanlung, 18, Nai Piya, 17, and 16-year-old Nai Taeya were detained on Tuesday morning by police based on evidence compiled from witness accounts and CCTV footage.

The three reportedly confessed to murdering Thet Soe and re-enacted their crime around noon on 3 March.
The police chief said they each testified that they had been travelling on mopeds when Thet Soe crashed into one of them on his motorcycle, then fled the scene.
The trio chased him down on their bikes and demanded 500 baht (US$17) compensation.

The three Thai teenagers said that Thet Soe agreed to pay and led them to his home to collect the money.
The suspects claim that the Burmese migrant tried to attack them when they got off their motorbikes, and they fought back, stabbing him in the stomach and then slitting his throat.

The trio took police to the site where they said they burned the victims moped in a coconut plantation. The police superintendent said that the shirt and jacket Thet Soe was wearing when he died were also recovered.

The Khao Sod report said the three were facing charges of murder, weapons possession and robbery.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/three-thai-teens-arrested-for-murder-of-myanmar-migrant-worker-thet-soe-on-koh-samui.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-03-05

• Like 1

Absolutely shocking if true! Stabbed in the stomach and slit the throat, for a few hundred baht?! And one of the guys in the reenactment picture even seems to have a jolly good time laughing.

Looks like the general disregard and derogatory comments about Burmese (as taught in Thai schools and reinforced by police and parents/general populace) had some effect!

And at the end the boys will probably only get a slap on their hands because they're 18 or under.

bah.gif

• Like 2

Well at least they didn't use a hoe and rape him so they ought to get bail.

500 Baht, say sorry, and promise to not do it again....

Shocking enough they will get off...

If they are 17.5 they are minors and then only a slap on the wrist will be done....

"We believe [the perpetrators] are from Burma, judging from their violent behavior."

"They like to use violence," Pol.Col. Sirichai said. He did not cite any other evidence to support his claim."

“No Thai could possibly commit such a crime" wai2.gifwai.gif

They can if there is 500 Baht involved. Do the math, that is almost 167 baht each for the three of them. Life is cheap in LOS.

If they are 17.5 they are minors and then only a slap on the wrist will be done....

That's true enough but from my experience of what has happened to the parents of wayward teens in my village here in Isaan the families are now broke. The fines for the teens ie. the parents are relatively speaking enormous,it will go into hundreds of thousands,the kids will get juvenile prison and have a criminal record which will hinder their future employment. Any land that the parents have ie the kids inheritance, may have to be sold to help pay of the fines, their marriage prospects have sunk enormously, it isn't as easy as it seems at first glance.

That indeed may be the case in Issan Soalbundy..but from what I've read on here over recent months the islands of Khao Tao & Samui are full of

mafia-families, corrupt officials, etc..so much so that it only take 1 of these little tw**s to be related to a local governor..& this whole crime may just get dissolved.

If you do not hear any more about it, say over the next 2 weeks you can assume the whole thing is 'under the carpet'..Thainess.

• Like 1

That indeed may be the case in Issan Soalbundy..but from what I've read on here over recent months the islands of Khao Tao & Samui are full of

mafia-families, corrupt officials, etc..so much so that it only take 1 of these little tw**s to be related to a local governor..& this whole crime may just get dissolved.

If you do not hear any more about it, say over the next 2 weeks you can assume the whole thing is 'under the carpet'..Thainess.

but that's just it, you don't here anymore about it. The teen i was thinking of in my village killed a man in a road accident,he had no driving license and was drunk ( 16 years old ) all we heard officially was that the boy was put on probation. When my partner spoke to his mother we got a different story, the parents were fined 400,000 Baht and the mans family want half a million blood money. They couldn't borrow the 400k at first so the father went to prison for two months until the fine was paid. The blood money still hasn't been settled and there have been 3 court appearances up til now to sought it out,with lawyer and court costs of course, they are completely broke, i see them cooking food on a charcoal fire outside because they can't afford to buy gas.

You can see why he was confused. It was only 3 Thais against one. Normally the odds would be 8 to one for Thai males....

"We believe [the perpetrators] are from Burma, judging from their violent behavior. They like to use violence," Pol.Col. Sirichai said. He did not cite any other evidence to support his claim.

With this mentality prevalent on Koh Tao and Koh Samui, how can a Burmese get a fair trial?

That's true enough but from my experience of what has happened to the parents of wayward teens in my village here in Isaan the families are now broke. The fines for the teens ie. the parents are relatively speaking enormous,it will go into hundreds of thousands,the kids will get juvenile prison and have a criminal record which will hinder their future employment. Any land that the parents have ie the kids inheritance, may have to be sold to help pay of the fines, their marriage prospects have sunk enormously, it isn't as easy as it seems at first glance.

Did the kids in your village kill another Thai or some migrant worker?

Migrant worker's life is certainly not as valuable as Thai life...

Who will demand compensation for the migrant workers? Who will assist

them in getting it? Thai Police? Thai Court?

I never ever hear about the Thai people who employ these so called migrants getting charged for hiring them, and it seems every time something goes wrong in this neck of the woods, it is Burmese first on the hit list, If they are as bad as they say, then why don't they just round them up and ship them out, it is better to keep them on the island as they can be used to protect the guilty,

Edited by cookee68