pictures on packets of cigarettes are disgusting!

VIPinthailand

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing it has to work for some...    Other countries such as the UK are moving towards Image / Brand free Packaging which may also work. 

In the UK recently I went to buy a packet of smokes...  Now, I'm not a regular smoker, I just want the occasional one with a beer when I fancy it (about 5 a week)...  I was not permitted to see what was on offer... so I couldn't make a choice and in the end chose something I remember.

It inconvenienced me, but I can see how this strategy of 'hiding' the tobacco products from view would work. 

I also agree - Why should non-smokers have to see these images ?.... 

I am a partial smoker and I find 'some' (not all) smokers extremely Anti-social, in their behaviour and expectations in the tolerance of others. 

Again... Why should not smokers have to see upsetting images of dying people each and every time they pay for something in a 7-11 ??????.... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 2:33 PM, Jingthing said:

How do you know that?

Show us statistics of before and after the pictures and factor in changes in tax levels as well.

It's well known for example that raising taxes on ciggies decreases demand. 

Pictures do NOT help stop smoking, for various reasons, and I speak as ex-smoker:

- one, I felt "lectured" by the pictures and thought "<deleted!>, I know myself what I want to do"

- two, you ignore them after a short while OR put the cigs into a neutral box (THAT was a great business idea...)

- three, every smoker thinks "it will not hit me..", and every smoker knows dozends of people who smoked till old age and never were sick

Same with higher prices, as long as they are raised slowly, it is only a good business for the government (tax volume increases), i.e. in Germany, the market volume did go up from 155 Billion US$ to estimated 171 Billion US$ this year... and at the same time, the smuggling of cigarettes from Eastern Europe into Germany has increased massively over the years...

Have You noticed a Friend who rants about Smokers Is a Total Bore.Its Fun to guess what his next bleat will Be.Its normally Thai Driving,Visa,Brexit,or anything else the rest round the table don't give a Rats Arse about.But never Alcohol as he orders his 7th Bottle to your tables 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Pictures do NOT help stop smoking, for various reasons, and I speak as ex-smoker:

- one, I felt "lectured" by the pictures and thought "<deleted!>, I know myself what I want to do"

- two, you ignore them after a short while OR put the cigs into a neutral box (THAT was a great business idea...)

- three, every smoker thinks "it will not hit me..", and every smoker knows dozends of people who smoked till old age and never were sick

Same with higher prices, as long as they are raised slowly, it is only a good business for the government (tax volume increases), i.e. in Germany, the market volume did go up from 155 Billion US$ to estimated 171 Billion US$ this year... and at the same time, the smuggling of cigarettes from Eastern Europe into Germany has increased massively over the years...

Your point is not credible. You speak as one person. You can't possibly know based on your own experience whether there is a larger societal effect, or not. 

It probably works because if advertisement and the way things look did not work why would the big tobacco companies even set their brand name and make it look nice ? By taking that away it helps.. might nog be much but I am sure there are studies done that show it does.

I think smokers should be allowed to smoke.. I have no problems with it. Just in closed spaces it should be outlawed. 

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Your point is not credible. You speak as one person. You can't possibly know based on your own experience whether there is a larger societal effect, or not. 

I speak as a person who bought cigarettes on every continent except Australia and have seen thousands of people in those years buying cigarettes with the shock pictures and none of them ever said "oh, I will stop smoking because of these pictures..."

WHO said some time back that an increase in tabac prize of 10% will decrease smoker population by 5%, but only in the youth segment who does not yet have "fully developped" salaries. 

I remember the effect, when Ireland almost doubled the cigarette price... the main effect was that the tobaco companies issued packs with 10 cigarettes, so the younger people could still affort to buy cigarettes... 

My experience is watching people and neither in Europe nor here have I ever see friends stop smoking because of the pictures on the packs. If those pics would be working, why do Governments and health organizations still spend billions of dollars for anti-smoking campains? Why do health insurance companies pay for anti-smoking medicine (i.e. Champix in Switzerland)? 

The only reason is that NONE of the anti-smoking campains (shock pics, moderate prize increase, smoking ban even on public beaches in the US of A etc) have had a substantial effect on people stop smoking

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No they don't work because most pictures tell false information about the real effects of smoking.

If they instead post true warning like smoking effects your arteries then people might think more serious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/29/2017 at 6:49 PM, MuntyC0re said:

these pictures don't scary me at all

In the past I really objected to have to sit and eat with smoke wafting over ..now all that has been stopped.

When I see smokers now I just think ...wonder if you know what may very well come to you .......

On 9/25/2016 at 10:24 AM, Swiss1960 said:

I speak as a person who bought cigarettes on every continent except Australia and have seen thousands of people in those years buying cigarettes with the shock pictures and none of them ever said "oh, I will stop smoking because of these pictures..."

WHO said some time back that an increase in tabac prize of 10% will decrease smoker population by 5%, but only in the youth segment who does not yet have "fully developped" salaries. 

I remember the effect, when Ireland almost doubled the cigarette price... the main effect was that the tobaco companies issued packs with 10 cigarettes, so the younger people could still affort to buy cigarettes... 

My experience is watching people and neither in Europe nor here have I ever see friends stop smoking because of the pictures on the packs. If those pics would be working, why do Governments and health organizations still spend billions of dollars for anti-smoking campains? Why do health insurance companies pay for anti-smoking medicine (i.e. Champix in Switzerland)? 

The only reason is that NONE of the anti-smoking campains (shock pics, moderate prize increase, smoking ban even on public beaches in the US of A etc) have had a substantial effect on people stop smoking

So please tell us which shop you have bought cigarettes in in Antarctica.  Just interested as to whether or not there is any veracity in your diatribe that you have purchased cigarettes on every continent except Australia?

In LOS they cannot be on display...But even if they are you must have bloody good eyesight to complain about the pics...?

Anyhooo, some of those in the pics for years used to ride a bike behind diesel pickups and buses going to work....?

On 9/24/2016 at 8:25 AM, Swiss1960 said:

- three, every smoker thinks "it will not hit me..", and every smoker knows dozens of people who smoked till old age and never were sick

That's a very broad statement to make. Just because it doesn't slow you down doesn't mean it doesn't help. Most smokers have concerned family and partners that may care about them. Their influence could help. Just imagine the distress of a young child after viewing these packets. They'll have to lie to their kids that smoking is healthy and they won't die.

Yeah "every smoker knows dozens of people who smoked till old age and never were sick". For starters, how did a person who was never sick die? Something killed them in the end, and I'll put money down that if they were heavy smokers the reason is smoking related. Maybe they could have had 10 or more good years had they not smoked, and enjoyed all their living years more. It's just an old wive's tale smokers continue to tell everyone to justify their habit. Smoke if you will, but don't tell lies to justify it. People might believe you and use it as a reason to continue smoking. People who smoke are usually looking for any excuse to continue, mostly because it is a very hard habit to break.

It doesn't matter how fit and healthy a smoker thinks they are, they are compromising their potential and health in very clear and defined ways. Lungs and all the cells in your body much prefer fresh air over smoke.

On 9/25/2016 at 10:24 AM, Swiss1960 said:

Maybe if you had bought cigarettes in Australia you would have thought otherwise:

https://www.nova969.com.au/news/cigarette-prices-are-set-increase-australia

You may draw attention to this paragraph:

"But it seems as though the price hikes have done little to convince smokers to quit with Australia seeing just a 0.2 per cent drop in smokers over the last three years."

That's a useless assessment because it totally ignores the drop in smokers prior to 3 years ago, and also because prior to 3 years ago cigarettes in Australia were still VERY expensive. They have been expensive for a long time. I'm not sure how long though as I'm not a smoker. Perhaps some Australian smoker could inform us about the price rise over recent decades.

Archived