142k baht a carport?

dendijk

What is it about men when they come to Thailand.

Man meets woman so he no longer needs his brain.

Man builds house with no previous experience because aforementioned brain left behind.

Man rides motorbikes without helmet again the brain isnt there to be protected.

As a so called expert on this forum i have little or no sympathy with people taking on a project like this with no help, advice, architect, project manager and experience.

For us guys who have a career full of building experience it is still a very daunting and difficult task to pull off successfully.

Play with fire you get your fingers burnt.

Good luck salvaging what you can....but is a lawyer your expert in construction.?

I am not sure where you read that i build a house?

It was bought existing and in need of a renovation and an extension.

How can all the people around the world live in houses that have been build eventually by somebody. Or should everybody only do it by him/herself rolleyes.gif

Your reference with Thailand is misplaced. The reason this can happen here because the lack of rule of law and that there are to many crooks around here for whatever reason wanting to be crooks around here.

I can tell you everything about the lawyer by the end of the week. If you are really really interested.

If you only wanna lecture people then please move along, nothing to see here.

Oh and BTW i always wear my helmet when i ride my Scooter wink.png

This is Thailand and all the other cliches, thanks for the heads up thumbsup.gif

Edited by dendijk
  • Like 1

Remove all the concrete, you will feel better. Dump it on the contractor's doorstep, if possible. You may be able to salvage something, but I doubt it, maybe your sanity.

Apart from that... I do everything myself here, occasionally employing people under close supervision.

Ye gods, it isn't just that they never saw a shovel before, they refuse to use one when you show them how much easier and quicker it is.

Start again with someone you can trust, even if you have to sit there all day drinking beer, or not at all. Good luck, mate, and spend ฿40 000.- next time.

Haha...

that's exactly what i told him. That i will be very happy to take it all down myself and deliver it back to him with a couple of trucks.

That's exactly the moment he ran of with our money and his thai subcontractor buddyclap2.gif

Well the guy who you got to do this work is a personal friend of mine and someone I will vouch for of very good proven character with many happy customers from previous work. There is a obviously a problem here, for god knows whatever reasons, but there are other means of resolving this instead of dragging your one-sided viewpoint through this forum. Continue if you must but you might be digging your own hole ;-)

Remove all the concrete, you will feel better. Dump it on the contractor's doorstep, if possible. You may be able to salvage something, but I doubt it, maybe your sanity.

Apart from that... I do everything myself here, occasionally employing people under close supervision.

Ye gods, it isn't just that they never saw a shovel before, they refuse to use one when you show them how much easier and quicker it is.

Start again with someone you can trust, even if you have to sit there all day drinking beer, or not at all. Good luck, mate, and spend ฿40 000.- next time.

Haha...

that's exactly what i told him. That i will be very happy to take it all down myself and deliver it back to him with a couple of trucks.

That's exactly the moment he ran of with our money and his thai subcontractor buddyclap2.gif

Well the guy who you got to do this work is a personal friend of mine and someone I will vouch for of very good proven character with many happy customers from previous work. There is a obviously a problem here, for god knows whatever reasons, but there are other means of resolving this instead of dragging your one-sided viewpoint through this forum. Continue if you must but you might be digging your own hole ;-)

You are gladly invited to come have a look yourself at the home today or tomorrow or any other day or time that suits you this week and tell me what you think.

But please don't do the same as your good friend then and make appointments for which you either not show up or leave without calling.

And as for the hole you are threatening me with, we are so deep down it already after 5 months i really don't see how he can make us go down any further.

• Like 1

Just a friendly warning, let's keep this civil and absolutely no name-and-shame posts.

That said, the quality of the work looks more than somewhat sub standard (the camera does lie mind).

Perhaps the contractor would like to post here and defend the works?

• Like 1

Just a friendly warning, let's keep this civil and absolutely no name-and-shame posts.

That said, the quality of the work looks more than somewhat sub standard (the camera does lie mind).

Perhaps the contractor would like to post here and defend the works?

I am not naming anybody just need to get others' opinions about this.

Everybody interested can come have a look by him- or herself. That i appreciate more then just threatening me with holes.

Edited by dendijk

It works out to 5,400/sqm - while not cheap, you certainly couldn't call it a rip off. Those 7M long beams would have a very decent amount of rebar in them to cover that span. Very unfortunate the electrical conduits were chased in after the posts were formed - or perhaps they were an afterthought of the client? Who knows what work went into the foundations for the posts too - for all we know there could be 20K+ Baht worth of piles in the ground under them, and 18M of subterranean ring-beam tying it all together.

As for the chunks of concrete missing from posts/beam, it appears as if the forms were removed a little to early and took some of the concrete with them. They don't appear to have been caused by lack of concrete 'rattling' during the pour, so therefore don't indicate a weakened structure.

Edited by IMHO

Goodmorning everybody.

Just 3 days before the contractor decided it was time to move on the 'plumber' ripped out a drain pipe for whatever reason resulting a lot of small debris falling and being stuck in the blue pipe that goes into the ground.

Can anybody recommend how we can get that debris out of the whole pipe going in the floor?

We have been thinking about trying to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner or trying to find another end and blowing high pressure air through with an air compressor.

Suggestions anyone? Without ripping the whole floor open of course whistling.gif

post-150775-0-67618900-1425260309_thumb.

post-150775-0-45597500-1425260413_thumb.

Goodmorning everybody.

Just 3 days before the contractor decided it was time to move on the 'plumber' ripped out a drain pipe for whatever reason resulting a lot of small debris falling and being stuck in the blue pipe that goes into the ground.

Can anybody recommend how we can get that debris out of the whole pipe going in the floor?

We have been thinking about trying to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner or trying to find another end and blowing high pressure air through with an air compressor.

Suggestions anyone? Without ripping the whole floor open of course whistling.gif

If what you are referring to is the blue pipe in photo #2, it's way to small to be a drain... Based on the fact there's a PPR pipe beside it, my guess is it's a cold water supply - in which case, a nail and a hammer to loosen the cement, and some water pressure from the other end should clean it out.

In any case, photo #1 looks like the "after" shot, so the workers have probably already handled this.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Goodmorning everybody.

If what you are referring to is the blue pipe in photo #2, it's way to small to be a drain... Based on the fact there's a PPR pipe beside it, my guess is it's a cold water supply - in which case, a nail and a hammer to loosen the cement, and some water pressure from the other end should clean it out.

The whole house was supposed to be foreseen by green polyweld hot and cold watersystem but maybe you are right. This is not drainpipe at all but waterpipe. We have been looking at it for about 20 minutes and couldn't figure out what this 'drain' was for. But if it is like you say a 'waterpipe' then we have to look at it from another prospective.

The same pipe is being used throughout the whole house as AC drainpipes but that was already installed about 50 cm to the left of this one.

Edited by dendijk

It works out to 5,400/sqm - while not cheap, you certainly couldn't call it a rip off. Those 7M long beams would have a very decent amount of rebar in them to cover that span. Very unfortunate the electrical conduits were chased in after the posts were formed - or perhaps they were an afterthought of the client? Who knows what work went into the foundations for the posts too - for all we know there could be 20K+ Baht worth of piles in the ground under them, and 18M of subterranean ring-beam tying it all together.

As for the chunks of concrete missing from posts/beam, it appears as if the forms were removed a little to early and took some of the concrete with them. They don't appear to have been caused by lack of concrete 'rattling' during the pour, so therefore don't indicate a weakened structure.

The old tiles on the floor is today still the same as the house was bought. So the only thing that was done was 2 holes dug for the 2 front columns as the foundation for them.

In any case, photo #1 looks like the "after" shot, so the workers have probably already handled this.

The photo where the pipe is removed and filled with debris is what it looks like now so after the removal.

Goodmorning everybody.

The whole house was supposed to be foreseen by green polyweld hot and cold watersystem but maybe you are right. This is not drainpipe at all but waterpipe. We have been looking at it for about 20 minutes and couldn't figure out what this 'drain' was for. But if it is like you say a 'waterpipe' then we have to look at it from another prospective.

The same pipe is being used throughout the whole house as AC drainpipes but that was already installed about 50 cm to the left of this one.

There's really no logical reason to use PPR (what you call polyweld) pipes for anything other than hot water - for cold water, PVC is absolutely fine. I'm gonna guess the builders also know this, so used blue PVC for cold water, and left the more expensive and harder to work with PPR for the hot water only.

The old tiles on the floor is today still the same as the house was bought. So the only thing that was done was 2 holes dug for the 2 front columns as the foundation for them.

Either way, 5,400/sqm is a reasonable price for concrete & tile - especially considering those beams.... A design with 4 posts would have been substantially cheaper to make.

Edited by IMHO

nice house> Thailand J,

think you could get a land/house package in isaan along the inland remote mekong for 140K ish.

Riiiiiiiiiggggght. I think you mean "land/outhouse package".

Goodmorning everybody.

There's really no logical reason to use PPR (what you call polyweld) pipes for anything other than hot water - for cold water, PVC is absolutely fine. I'm gonna guess the builders also know this, so used blue PVC for cold water, and left the more expensive and harder to work with PPR for the hot water only.

post-150775-0-79373000-1425262439_thumb.

Its what it says right there and basically everywhere else there is also polyweld for cold water(bathrooms).

But again you could be right but then it still awkward why they ripped it out again

Either way, 5,400/sqm is a reasonable price for concrete & tile - especially considering those beams.... A design with 4 posts would have been substantially cheaper to make.

Ok, is that based on new materials or used steel for the roof?

I am sorry but i only just read now you said concrete&tile but can you please explain what you mean by that? Rooftiles or Floortiles?

Ok, is that based on new materials or used steel for the roof?

I can't see anything in your photos that suggest the steel was used - what makes you think that?

That said, Steel is a commodity - whether it's a full length or on offcut, the price per meter is the same - and if offcuts are not re-used, they are recycled for not much less than what they cost.

I can't see anything in your photos that suggest the steel was used - what makes you think that?

That said, Steel is a commodity - whether it's a full length or on offcut, the price per meter is the same - and if offcuts are not re-used, they are recycled for not much less than what they cost.

Well the quotation says that we are getting a new carport. Then i expect all new materials to be used especially for 142k baht.

The material has old paint all over it, very rusted for just being there a short amount of time. Old cuts and welds.

It is how you say though; It is very difficult to do an is/not discussion about the used materials since we only have pictures.

Therefore i am inviting anybody capable and interested to come have a look.

The restaurant on the corner of the village has a very decent coffee smile.png

(sorry but i don't drink beer)

I am sorry but i only just read now you said concrete&tile but can you please explain what you mean by that? Rooftiles or Floortiles?

In your case, concrete structure + concrete roof tiles.

In your case, concrete structure + concrete roof tiles.

Yes 2 front columns with their foundation, 3 beams and the roof with tiles on it.

Wow the more often i read your post, the more interesting things i find in it. Any electrical work needed is discussed beforehand.

The contractor litteraly said after i complained the quality that it was way to difficult to insert PVC pipes during the pouring of the concrete.

With what 'tools' should the pour normally be rattled with?

we still have builders in after a month on a 2 week job. Yesterday 4 came, one demented woman sweeping all day, another pissed off to watch muay thai on tv and another flat out dead drunk. That left one attempting a bit of painting, today nobody turned up. However what they have done for 140k is good including roofing over back and front, Boonthavorn kitchen and 80 meters of tile work. It took us 18 months looking for decent price, some wanted twice as much, others could do but not do guttering, or no electrics. You have to be careful, obviously the OP has been taken for a ride.

I admire your ability to remain so calm after what you have been through. All I can say is good luck from here on and I hope you manage to the nail that contractor.

Thank you for the support.

I don't want to nail this guy, hate is not a part of my talents.

If i had 1 wish though i just want this guy to do what is right. Give us back the greater part of our money so everybody can just move on in life.

We wanted to move into this house within a reasonable amount of time so my wife can have her dog(not allowed in the condo we are in) and my son can play outside with his (school)friends living in the same village.

It looks like they will have to wait a few more months unfortunately.

I am capable of dealing with disappointments and know when to put up a fight for the right cause.

Its not what i came to Thailand for but we all gotta do what we gotta do.

When i look outside now though i do not know what to choose, explode or cry.

It has started to rain after a long period of drought in Pattaya.

Just before they left the site they took a great part of the roof of and just left it open. I really hope that the rain will not bring to many extra damages to an already wounded house.

post-150775-0-83875900-1425266194_thumb.

post-150775-0-07132700-1425266283_thumb.

post-150775-0-24655000-1425266434_thumb.

post-150775-0-68851900-1425266542_thumb.

post-150775-0-43848600-1425266665_thumb.

I admire your ability to remain so calm after what you have been through. All I can say is good luck from here on and I hope you manage to the nail that contractor.

Basically the same on our site. Everyday little kids on a construction site. Playing there, sleeping there.

God forbids that somebody drops a building block or roof tile on the poor kids head.

We had old ladies building up the walls while a bunch of guys where just sitting around and doing nothing.

1 thing i have learned is that old gals are not so good in building walls straight laugh.png

post-150775-0-35175000-1425268375_thumb.

post-150775-0-63753700-1425268516_thumb.

post-150775-0-41128200-1425268669_thumb.

post-150775-0-67889300-1425268781_thumb.

post-150775-0-15468800-1425269105_thumb.

post-150775-0-38174200-1425269224_thumb.

post-150775-0-75196300-1425269355_thumb.

Sorry but my previous post was wrongly quoted.

Was meant for this post:

Posted Today, 10:05

we still have builders in after a month on a 2 week job. Yesterday 4 came, one demented woman sweeping all day, another pissed off to watch muay thai on tv and another flat out dead drunk. That left one attempting a bit of painting, today nobody turned up. However what they have done for 140k is good including roofing over back and front, Boonthavorn kitchen and 80 meters of tile work. It took us 18 months looking for decent price, some wanted twice as much, others could do but not do guttering, or no electrics. You have to be careful, obviously the OP has been taken for a ride.