142k baht a carport?

dendijk

All non-galvanized steel needs to be costed in oxide paint, otherwise it will corrode. In some of your photos you can see patches where it has not yet been fully covered. These need to be finished properly.

This is just rubbish.

Oxide paint will protect beachside steel for about 15 minutes.

Minimum hot dip galvanised.

OP, you have some seriously sub-standard work there, requiring major re-building.

All non-galvanized steel needs to be costed in oxide paint, otherwise it will corrode. In some of your photos you can see patches where it has not yet been fully covered. These need to be finished properly.

This is just rubbish.

OP, you have some seriously sub-standard work there, requiring major re-building.

Yes i am slowly but surely getting more and more aware of that every day.

So far everybody that has been looking at it with their own eyes and have knowledge is positive that it is reclaimed steel.

We will have 3 different independent licensed surveyors assessing the whole situation.

The same style cement as the crumbling doorpost has been used throughout the home. All contractors looking at it are saying ' sorry buddy but we ain't finishing/fixing this'.

Basically everything has to be demolished and to be start over.

Thanks for the input, i really appreciate it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=306111

This whole roof, steel construction, foil for isolation, roof tiles (tra chang SCG) was just over 100,000 Baht...

I think you are really being robbed by this builder!

Hi Somtam,

i dunno why but your link constantly forwards me to a login page on thaivisa forums. I cannot see the picture you attached.

I don't know, the link opens the picture on my pc....

This is just rubbish.

ROFL.

So you think that all houses near the coast use gal, and that's why they're not falling over? :D

This is just rubbish.

Where does one find a competent hot dip gal company in Thailand ?

SCG offers nice roofing between 1300-2000 per m2, 10 years guaranteed and completely finished. They use all galvanized steel.

The question here was and still is, did we get our moneys worth for the quoted 142k baht.

Look at this guys/girls.

Like i said before my gut feeling is that the c sections for the roof are used/reclaimed/recycled and this is also the opinion of the people that had a look at it with their own eyes and have construction knowledge.

I am still sorting the 700 pictures that i have and then all of a sudden it hit me looking at pictures of the old thai kitchen that they knocked down.

Please look at the C sections/U beams (whatever you call them) used in that and then please look at the C sections used in carport and extensions(many pictures in previous posts).

They look awful familiar don't they?

If so that would be one of the most clever tricks i have ever seen.

You take some steel at the back of the house put it as new in front of the house and charge top dollar new prices for it.

Damn.... thats chalaat clap2.gif

post-150775-0-26466500-1425646813_thumb.

post-150775-0-05491200-1425646878_thumb.

post-150775-0-74841900-1425646948_thumb.

post-150775-0-71695100-1425647020_thumb.

post-150775-0-00535600-1425647107_thumb.

post-150775-0-24325400-1425647200_thumb.

Wait a minute, that steel has been there for years, in a house near the coast, covered in oxide paint that "only lasts 15 minutes" ?

ROFL.

BTW, your last builder wasn't too good either - there doesn't seem to be any attempt to paint over the welds on those battens.

Edited by IMHO

Wait a minute, that steel has been there for years, in a house near the coast, covered in oxide paint that "only lasts 15 minutes" ?

ROFL.

BTW, your last builder wasn't too good either - there doesn't seem to be any attempt to paint over the welds on those battens.

Goodmorning early bird smile.png

The home has only been bought in September 2014. The old thai kitchen was put in by the previous owner before. As i recall he had that kitchen build about 7 years ago.

I am no party in the difference of opinion you are having with member orpheus454

My one and only question i have here is does this steel belong on our carport? thumbsup.gif

post-150775-0-87333500-1425692135_thumb.

ROFL.

The home has only been bought in September 2014. The old thai kitchen was put in by the previous owner before. As i recall he had that kitchen build about 7 years ago.

I am no party in the difference of opinion you are having with member orpheus454

My one and only question i have here is does this steel belong on our carport? thumbsup.gif

The first question is, is this the steel in your carport?

From the photos here, I can't see any C Section steel used in the outdoor kitchen roof, but I can see C section steel in the carport roof. Actually, sorry I can see some in one of the photos (angles aren't great).

In any case, if this steel has been re-used, there's going to be some telltale signs - a ton of stray welding marks, and it should be easy to spot places where's there's now 3 layers of paint.

Edited by IMHO

ROFL.

Given the amount of welding on your old kitchen steel if it has been recycled they have done a really nice job of grinding away all of the old welding as none appears in your photos of the new build.

• Like 1

@OP, I've just reviewed your photos again. I still can't see any evidence that the steel used on the carport trusses has ever been used before.

Goodmorning IMHO

you are absolutely right. Through pictures it will always difficult to see the real picture here(no pun intended). Everybody interested is still warmly invited to come have a look with his or her own eyes.

Yesterday afternoon i took some time away from this 'nightmare'. Needed some time to clear my head.

Before that i was at the site though. Luckily for me the contractors' subcontractor was not only cutting corners but also sloppy and lazy.

They have left many material hanging and laying around which should have been removed long time ago before the renovation started but they didn't.

I have found a small part of steel roof left from the old thai kitchen on an outside beam of the house.

Now i am of course not capable of matching the DNA here smile.png but what i can already see is the beams have been cut with a torch. The same cut we are finding at the steel used in the carport where they put the wooden ends in. Where as the cuts on the steel of the bedroom extension is nice and straight.

So what i will do today is try to match the torched cuts. Yesterday i have bought some waterproof sandpaper.I will take the ladder today armed with my sandpaper and i will try to sand layer for layer at many different spots on the carport steel to see what it will reveal on this beautiful sunday.

It might take a day or so to sort out the pictures but for sure i will update you on my findings.

Have a nice day!

Does the quotation specifically list new steel to be used ?

Goodmorning.

Nope it does not.

It only says new carport and has a pricetag of 141.277 baht.

Thats why i have put up my original post; 'Does anybody here think that is expensive?'

Do you think we should have gotten new steel for 141.277 baht?

Edited by dendijk

@IMHO and everybody else still interested in this thread.

It has been an exhausting day.

Been up on the ladder through the better part of it. With the camera of course biggrin.png

It was extremely hot so i will not do the long version now. I will try to give you that tomorrow but look what i found today cheesy.gif

To me it looks like we are having (part) of our old thai kitchen being sold back to us as the new carport and other new roof extensions clap2.gif

post-150775-0-98919700-1425815064_thumb.

post-150775-0-83989400-1425815176_thumb.

post-150775-0-01604000-1425815246_thumb.

post-150775-0-50007000-1425815329_thumb.

post-150775-0-75281300-1425815408_thumb.

post-150775-0-13941600-1425815462_thumb.

post-150775-0-55126400-1425815551_thumb.

post-150775-0-67002500-1425815620_thumb.

I was quoted 125k baht for a carport like that, in BKK.

Yup it seems they re-used the old steel from the kitchen again. I can't see if it was rusted or not but if you paid for new then that's what you should get.

But new steel is not galvanised new steel, that's the old Thai trick to cheat you with cheaper materials. They also do it to eachother though, look at the stairs of the BTS, the iron between the concrete steps are rotting while it even rarely gets wet. Also it is being repainted every few years, just inferiour material used which is a big shame.

Anyway, i see many brand new roofs made of steel and painted well but they rot from the inside.

I think you should have paid about 100k less and got new steel.

Still Iam not seeing anything in the pictures to suggest the steel has been reused though.

Hi Don M

i agree with you that it is always difficult to get the real feel of something of pictures.

You should see it with your own eyes and get close to it.

The 1 thing i am really worried about though that if this is 'new' steel what is used steel going to look like in Thailand?

post-150775-0-82619900-1425885281_thumb.

post-150775-0-00191500-1425885369_thumb.

post-150775-0-27762900-1425885452_thumb.

post-150775-0-91973900-1425885523_thumb.

post-150775-0-37141800-1425885614_thumb.

post-150775-0-94650400-1425885699_thumb.

post-150775-0-71063000-1425885765_thumb.

post-150775-0-82899800-1425885841_thumb.

post-150775-0-47774400-1425885923_thumb.

post-150775-0-66092200-1425885993_thumb.