Bear Pit Closed - But Will Reopen Soon

george

Dear Members,

The board administrators have today 2004-03-24 decided to move the popular "Bear Pit" forum branch from the Thaivisa.com system. The reason is that the domain thaivisa.com was and is dedicated to Thailand related topics only.

The Admins don't have resources to monitor and moderate "Bear Pit". Several search engines are indexing this forum heavily, and we don't want to have a search engine penalty applied for having unrelated, abusive, threatening and unmonitored content on the thaivisa.com domain.

Some of our advertisers/sponsors have also asked us to remove the "Bear Pit". Many members have complained to the Admins for beeing abused.

Subsequently, any member posting similar unrelated topics in other forum branches will be banned and their posts removed. We will update the Forum Guidelines asap.

If you want to post about US politics or other non Thailand related topics, please visit our new board http://www.bearpit.net - to be opened soon - se details below!

I will help out and optimize the new board for the Search engines, so it will be popular like h*ll!

The look, functionality and feel will be same as Thailand Expat Forum.

Thanks for your cooperation and for your support! See you soon on the new board!

/George

Admin

Edited by george

Sad.

I will miss the Bear-Pit a lot.

Actually, I already missed it.

To the board of censors,

I do know that the domain thaivisa.com is dedicated to Thailand related topics. But most of us are foreigners living or in vacation in LOS and as people coming from all over the world, we also have some concerns that are not always related to Thailand. The bear-pit was the Agora where we could discuss, argue and, should the occasion arise, disagree.

The only people who visited the Bear-Pit had agreed to the "rules of engagement". The members who weren't interested could easily stayed away from it.

This censorship is unfair.

Awww.. you mean now when I go to ThaiVisa.com, I'll have to read stuff about THAILAND??? Sheesh! :D

As long as people don't let politics and bashing the U.S. back creep back in, this decision is fine with me!

Cheers!

Membrane

(and by the way, I never voted for George Bush)! :o

Ok, that was the bad news. Here is the good news!

I have yesterday registered a new domain, bearpit.net, to be hosted on our high speed servers

Bearpit.net domain will be funtional within 48 hours. This will be a Non-Thailand related forum for political discussions and all other topics. All old posts from the Bearpit will be transferred to the new board, and it will be accessable with a link from the ordinary Thailand Expat Forum.

I will install the latest version of Invision Power Board. This is the newest generation of the software.

We are looking for Admins and moderators for this new board, please post here in this thread if you are interested. Please do not PM me, post here!

Thanks! Never give up! :o

Edited by george

We are looking for Admins and moderators for this new board, please post here in thsi thread if you are interested.

Now you're talking. I even had the thought to do the same, but, since you are doing it, there is no need.

What is invloved in being a Moderator or Admin? I am truly interested! :o

We are looking for Admins and moderators for this new board, please post here in thsi thread if you are interested.

Now you're talking. I even had the thought to do the same, but, since you are doing it, there is no need.

What is invloved in being a Moderator or Admin? I am truly interested! :o

My suggestion is that we elect a committee who is admins and moderates the new board. I could be the initial Admin for a while until it's selfgoing.

Mouse is noted on the list! Thanks!

Guest IT Manager
... and I can go back to being Clark Kent! :o

You can go back to your phone box and that's a fact. In fact, Thaivisa will throw in 3 baht so you can call all your mates.

Now, let me get this straight. The evil gentleman has been defeated and marooned in Purgatory for the next 1,000 years, but the new, improved Bear-Pit is opening tomorrow?

Who is going to take his place as the super-villain?

Are you guys bringing back Butterfly? Is the gentleman coming back with a new nick (Hitler Bruce has a nice ring)? Or is Thaiquilla going to start taking steroids perhaps?

More importantly, do I get my own dressing room?

As of yesterday, the gentleman was banned forever, and I was about a millionth of an inch from joining him. The Bear-Pit was a terrible experiment gone array, and Thaivisa was wiping their hands of the whole sordid mess.

Tonight, there is announcement about bringing back, "The Popular Bear-Pit". :o

Who knows? :D

Guest IT Manager

Hmmm not bad. Can you do any animation on it?

20K is big but maybe we can do something with it. I like it. What you think George?

I nominate Georgie-Porgie for moderator!

...and Boon Mee for Admin!

The problem with me as an admin would be I can't suffer those bleeding-heart liberal viewpoints. Think you have to be middle-of-the-road to do those supervisory tasks.

Thanks for the vote, Membrane. Perhaps yourself? :o

Boon Mee, I think that is Membrane's point. Mouse seems like a nice person, but, if one has even slight Communist tendencies, they can be quite hard to wrestle under control.

We need a Redneck for these jobs. They don't get all confused, because they are usually thinking with the little head, as opposed to the big one.

Actually, he's no Redneck, but Adjan (Larry Lek), would be perfect for the job. He's a good guy, knows computers, and mostly keeps his political opinions to himself.

He's the guy with the peace symbol as his avatar. Somebody ask him.

I nominate Georgie-Porgie for moderator!

...and Boon Mee for Admin!

The problem with me as an admin would be I can't suffer those bleeding-heart liberal viewpoints. Think you have to be middle-of-the-road to do those supervisory tasks.

Thanks for the vote, Membrane. Perhaps yourself? :o

What about me ?

Since I saw the Light, I'm the most qualified member for such a hard task. :D

Just kidding. I'm now far above everyday happenings. OM.

adjan jb Posted: Thu 2004-03-25, 03:32:18 

What happened to your stoned avatar ?

Think of Martin Sheen in the Saigon hotel room at the beginning of Apocalypse Now; That was when I was beaten to a pulp and ready to rest my on my laurels for a while, however, thaivisa.com reinstated the Bear-Pit, and I came running back, ready to kick Charlie's ass before my power starts to fade. :o

Well, I for one can't wait 'till the 48 hours have elapsed 'cause I have a serious case of the "Bear Pit Jones"! :o

Yen, yen... The domain dosn't work yet on the Internet, it takes some 48 hours for a new domain to propagate, and then I need to install the software.

My best guess is Sunday!