English teachers in Thai govt schools face test

My eldest step daughter is 12 Y.O. From all the schools in the Korat region she has just got third place, so she is very smart (Takes after her Mother)

English, she is totally hopeless, she will not speak it because she is afraid of making a mistake.

What to do for the best result for her? Perhaps some of the teachers on TV can give me some advice.wai.gif

She wants to be a Doctor, yes another Thai Doctor that can not speak English.

Some children might be uncomfortable having a respected family member (eg stepfather) as a tutor - they are afraid to make mistakes in front of someone they see every day. Which is a pity, 'cos it seems you might be the best English speaker in the area!

Suggestion: dilute her discomfort level by offering to tutor your daughter and her best friend(s) in a small informal group. This way, the daughter will have her support group with her and will not be the only focus of attention, and her friend(s) will probably want to learn English from a native speaker for free.

My stepson got round the poor teaching of English at his school by learning directly with me. Now he is pretty well fluent and not at all shy about speaking - good thing too, as he is a flight attendant!

• Like 2

If they would go through it, over 90% of the "Thai English teachers" will lose their job. But this dream will not come true.

I am German, but was taught by an ex CIA. It was the hell of studying. He always got pissed and angry when he came close

to these Philippine English teacher. Cause they gave the students always a full score, even they couldn't answer any question.

The fashism government is just looking for an idea to get rid of some more foreigner. Thailand for Thais, forever.

That will drop the economy for another 10%, less "English" they speak, less trade, less costumers. .....

Thailand will never be ready for ASEAN. Never ever.

RIP

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In 2002 I stayed in Korat for about a month, This Dutch guy and myself were offered jobs teaching English. I told this school that I am not a teacher, his reply was that is not important. The thing that is important is " To be white and can speak some English" The Dutch guy could only speak a little English.

The point I am trying to make is the schools don't care about the children's education they only care about MAKING MONEY

To me this is a very sad situation.

I'm not saying that the Filipinas are not good teachers or the Dutch or German but I do believe that only Native English teachers should be teaching English. I just hope for the Children sake they can fix this problem.

Problem with native speakers is that most of them don't have a clue what learning a second language means.

• Like 1

I was a Teacher in Thailand for 10 years and in England for 5 years previous to that.

The answer to the English problem in Thailand is a very simple one and all it involves is incentive.

The Thai teachers I worked with averaged 10,000 baht a month and very long hours and weekends.

The motor cycle Taxi driver who I had lunch with daily and who also had kids in the school I taught in cleared 12,000 a month and worked as it pleased him.

We often discussed that there was very little incentive for his kids to learn English, as Teachers are paid so poorly.

So the answer is to increase the salaries and make teachers in this country 'true' middle class with salaries that reflect their academic achievements.

Of course this will have to involve proper testing, sorting the wheat out from the chaff. But you can guarantee in 10 years time Thai students will all be on time for their English classes and will all be paying attention. Because they will have the incentive, as their teachers will.

Without cash incentive the country will always be poor in English ability.

It really is that simple.

I was a Teacher in Thailand for 10 years and in England for 5 years previous to that.

The answer to the English problem in Thailand is a very simple one and all it involves is incentive.

The Thai teachers I worked with averaged 10,000 baht a month and very long hours and weekends.

The motor cycle Taxi driver who I had lunch with daily and who also had kids in the school I taught in cleared 12,000 a month and worked as it pleased him.

We often discussed that there was very little incentive for his kids to learn English, as Teachers are paid so poorly.

So the answer is to increase the salaries and make teachers in this country 'true' middle class with salaries that reflect their academic achievements.

Of course this will have to involve proper testing, sorting the wheat out from the chaff. But you can guarantee in 10 years time Thai students will all be on time for their English classes and will all be paying attention. Because they will have the incentive, as their teachers will.

Without cash incentive the country will always be poor in English ability.

It really is that simple.

Teachers in Thailand make what teachers in Thailand get paid.

By this "logic" Thai kids learn science because science teachers get paid more and there is

and incentive to teach science because they are getting paid more to teach what they are being paid to teach?

Maybe people are going into the teaching profession and don't know what they are going to get paid and therefore

don't do squat.

What did you really mean here? "We often discussed that there was very little incentive for his kids to learn English, as Teachers are paid so poorly."

the students have little incentive to learn because the teachers are poorly paid? I don't get that at all!

• Like 1

My wife was very shy at speaking when she first came to Scotland as I think she had been taught American English slacks for trousers but now she speaks perfect Doric with hardly any accent and the word is troosers or breeks not slacks

• Like 2

I will be very interested in seeing what these scores will be like.

I'd say, that all of the schools will try to upskill the level of their Thai English teachers in a hurry, so that they can score well on the exam. This might involve all of the school's Farang teachers being conscripted into additional classes after school, or some conferences/camps for the teachers.

Alternatively, they might just treat it as a pre/post test situation, with perhaps additional funding allocated for schools which show significant improvement. If this is the case, then the extra classes and seminars/camps etc might not start until the tests have been completed and results released.

But either way, it'll be really positive for Thai English teachers, as they try to improve their English in preparation for either the pre-test, post-test or both.

Also I think you guys would be surprised at what the Thai teachers will score, I know that most of you will of course have a very poor opinion of Thai English teacher's English ability. However, many of them are a lot better than what we think, they're just not confident to speak, or when they do speak, they have to think about it etc. Likewise with their grammar etc, they're often not corrected on their mistakes, so they make mistakes and never realise. With just a little bit of practice, and some criticism etc, most of the teachers will do ok on this test (Probably not "well", but since most of "us" have a very low opinion of Thai teacher's current English, they'll likely exceed our expectations lol. I'm thinking around B1 on the scale that Lost in Isaan posted, as B2 might be too much of a stretch for most).

• Like 2

In 2002 I stayed in Korat for about a month, This Dutch guy and myself were offered jobs teaching English. I told this school that I am not a teacher, his reply was that is not important. The thing that is important is " To be white and can speak some English" The Dutch guy could only speak a little English.

The point I am trying to make is the schools don't care about the children's education they only care about MAKING MONEY

I'm not saying that the Filipinas are not good teachers or the Dutch or German but I do believe that only Native English teachers should be teaching English. I just hope for the Children sake they can fix this problem.

BS! There are folks around who lived and worked in the US or GB for years, can write, read, and speak English just like their mother tongue. But they do not carry a British passport. Why should a school reject him/her, especially, when this person has successfully accomplished the qualification and authorization to teach at a school?

On the other hand, just look at those lads, who rather teach Scottish or Welsh! Yes they are native speakers.

• Like 1

So, apparently Thai government schools will shortly be without any Thai English teachers, right?

You know and I know that there is no way they will pass if this is conducted ethically and morally

to the standards in which the test was meant.

Any chance that foreign English teachers will be getting work permits, like those Vietnamese slaves

they're recruiting? To me, that is a sign of being serious, to at least let the kids have good teachers while

these idiots squabble in their conference rooms up on high.

But good teachers demand good results. Failure to get good results means no students. No students

means... no.... income........... Ahhhhhhhhhhh! So that is what this is all about; Rig another auspicious

example of a Western approved idea and impress everyone with the fabricated results!

"If you see a snake, just kill it - don't appoint a committee on snakes."
-Ross Perot

why not just check their qualifications - with issuing institution - and obtain references as any professional language school in the uk would do?

much cheaper and quicker.

they could go the additional step and only accept efl qualifications obtained in a native speaking country. enough said.

Good idea , lots of Philippine English teachers about, some are pretty good but some have a proper Philippine accent and I don't want my kids sounding like Carman Miranda when they speak English

Having worked with Philipine English teachers, I don't think your kids will have that problem.

The Filipinas I worked with were as good as any English native speaker, but you are right as far as other non English native speakers are concerned.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good idea , lots of Philippine English teachers about, some are pretty good but some have a proper Philippine accent and I don't want my kids sounding like Carman Miranda when they speak English

Having worked with Philipine English teachers, I don't think your kids will have that problem.

I'm sure they will just my poor attempt at humour, I would imagine kids can pick up any accent, I had a Thai solicitor who spoke like James Mason, turned out his English Teacher was an Ex Wig Commander in The RAF

• Like 2

I have met and worked with numerous native speaker teachers in Thailand, and I can say that I would never allow most of those "native speakers" to get any close to any kids let alone teach them. Travellers, junkies, fugitives and all sort of scumbags account for a large number of native speakers in Thailand. I know there are some good teachers as well. I would say that native speakers should teach listening and speaking. Unfortunately, most of them have no idea how to teach academic writing, IELTS, or grammar. Why would you let them teach these subjects?

The best teachers I have met were non-native speakers, and some of them had real great knowledge of English language.

This may not go down well with other English teachers, but you should not teach Thai people grammar, all you will do is bore them. But obviously, you must use the correct grammar when you are teaching them.

The other day i looked at the homework the neighbours kids were doing and noticed they even don't learn the ABC-alphabet. They had a mixture of the Thai-Western alphabet which they had to learn.

After seeing that i refused to help them with their homework, come on, which idiot developed these lessons? English is in ABC and nothing else!

So i hope/guess many Thai english teachers will loose their jobs. Those kids even go to a very expensive school at the other side of BKK.

I'm glad you refused to help them with their homework, for obvious reasons.

My wife was very shy at speaking when she first came to Scotland as I think she had been taught American English slacks for trousers but now she speaks perfect Doric with hardly any accent and the word is troosers or breeks not slacks

What about "drawers"? Besides the American word for troosers is "pants".

• Like 1

This will test "grammar" but most teachers in Thailand can't teach structure of writing, organizing thoughts, logic, critical thinking, and argument. Thais are lost when you ask them to write a coherent piece on any subject.

How many NES teachers could pass an English grammar test, let alone teach the structure and critical thinking of writing? Simple spelling seems to be a major obstacle for many.

I am constantly amazed at the ubiquitous slights directed toward any attempt by the Thai education department to improve the English competency of Thailand. Improving the English proficiency of Thai teachers seems an appropriate course of action. Let's face it, to make any real improvement in Thai English competency, at a certain level, Thai teachers will have to instruct all courses-- science, math, history, social studies, etc.--in English.

The other day i looked at the homework the neighbours kids were doing and noticed they even don't learn the ABC-alphabet. They had a mixture of the Thai-Western alphabet which they had to learn.

After seeing that i refused to help them with their homework, come on, which idiot developed these lessons? English is in ABC and nothing else!

So i hope/guess many Thai english teachers will loose their jobs. Those kids even go to a very expensive school at the other side of BKK.

I'm glad you refused to help them with their homework, for obvious reasons.

I see no obvious reason. In my MBA studies, at one of the best international business schools in the world, I took Mandarin. It was taught in a mixture of English characters, Chinese characters, and Yale phonetic characters. Perhaps you did not understand the principles upon which the teacher taught.

they could ask imigration personal to undergo an international-level proficiency test to be able to work as immigration officer...in thai and a little bit in english too!!!

i ...........would like to see the resultburp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRx8h9ZhP6

coffee1.gif

My eldest step daughter is 12 Y.O. From all the schools in the Korat region she has just got third place, so she is very smart (Takes after her Mother)

English, she is totally hopeless, she will not speak it because she is afraid of making a mistake.

What to do for the best result for her? Perhaps some of the teachers on TV can give me some advice.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7 alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

She wants to be a Doctor, yes another Thai Doctor that can not speak English.

Not a teacher but a Father, My girl was the same , I could ask her a question in English and she would understand it and answer yes or no , so she could understand it but was a bit shy yto speak it , so we sent her to a school that does many of the lessons in English, It took her about 2 weeks for he to lose her shyness and she's fine now ,, not perfect but much better

Exactly, teaching other subjects in English, not just attending an English class, and interacting with others in English are perhaps the best ways for students to learn English. The catch, of course, teachers have to be able to speak English to teach the other subjects and English has to be spoken.

Ai, ai ai I think you very nice. Ai, ai, ai I think you swell.

The private school where my wife works is full of Filipina teachers.

The school prides it self on having Foreign teachers and are charging the parents a lot of money for Education every year. There are only two native English teachers working there and one Chinese teaching English all the rest are Filipinas.

They get the Filipinas for about 10,000B a month, this school is a complete rip off.