Bungsamran Fishing Park worth a visit?

Chownanoi

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Find a lake, cram it full of Mekong catfish and Siamese carp. Build lots of huts, sell lots of beer and food, get a local Thai to help because your not strong enough to put bait on or reel it in on your sea rodand 60lb line etc, have loads of people running around jumping and shouting. Sounds like a fishing expedition out of a Salvador Dali painting a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, couldn't think of anywhere worse!.

Find a lake, cram it full of Mekong catfish and Siamese carp. Build lots of huts, sell lots of beer and food, get a local Thai to help because your not strong enough to put bait on or reel it in on your sea rodand 60lb line etc, have loads of people running around jumping and shouting. Sounds like a fishing expedition out of a Salvador Dali painting a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, couldn't think of anywhere worse!.

Big fish and lots of beer, sounds great to me!

Its great fun been there many times.. I do the casting myself got my own rod and real. The lines usually are not more as 50lb (if used mono) But you need strong line as else the fish will break it on the pier.

As for the fish in a barrel.. sure if your there on a good day.. but there are days even the guides have trouble catching fish. I have taken friends there often and loaned them rods.

Then next time when your in Thailand.. maybe we can go with some of the other guys.

it is not that easy to catch loads there. i fished ledger, UK style and struggled to get bites really. the thai's were hammering them out around me mind

used to be 1000 for falangs...... i wouldnt pay 2000, especially when the thai guy next to me paid only 400 and is probably catching more than me thumbsup.gif

it is not that easy to catch loads there. i fished ledger, UK style and struggled to get bites really. the thai's were hammering them out around me mind

used to be 1000 for falangs...... i wouldnt pay 2000, especially when the thai guy next to me paid only 400 and is probably catching more than me thumbsup.gif

That is because you are fishing UK style.. and the Thai style on a float works. UK style you get far more "pla sawai" the smaller stiped catfish and if you are lucky a carp. But for the mekong ones its not advisable.

And i share your sentiments about the price.. but that is only for tourists not residents they just get a Thai drivers license. You should have hired a guide too.. if your paying that much already and a newbie at fishing.. paying the extra for a guide (you get a rod then too) is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to the fishing I have here in the UK right now it also sounds good to me. I would say, 'can't catch a cold' but it's flippin freezing so that's what you usually catch here. I look forward to my next Thai fishing trip, whenever that may be. UK fishing makes you grateful for it. However I wont pay 2000THB. I'll go somewhere else.

To put it into perspective, I've paid $500 for a day of bass fishing with a guide and a boat, and $1,500 for a day of offshore fishing (6 of us) and in none of those cases did I catch more than in a typical day at BSR.

I've often put more than 2,000 baht worth of gas in the car to get to a fishing spot in Texas, even before buying bait, buying the fishing license, paying to park, etc. etc.

2,000 baht is a lot in local terms, but on a per pound basis, or the chance to catch a lifetime best fish, it's pretty cheap in world terms.

Yes, it is fishing in a fish farm. (one could say the same about Redmire if one were willing to risk being lynched) It's a guilty pleasure. But make no mistake. It's fun. Any fisherman who comes to Bangkok and doesn't fish there once (at least)- is shortchanging himself. After the first trip, decide for yourself if it's worth it to come back.

Worth a visit..yes, but although i live within walking distance its a place i go to just a few times per year, to be honest if i had to pay 2000bht i just would not go,

I think in reality with this double pricing they actually loose money, many foreigners avoid going there because of the double pricing policy, also foreigners tend to spend more on the over priced bait, food and drink, whereas the thais are more inclined to take a bottle of hong thong or whatever for the group and buy food from outside,

Maybe the owners are just too greedy to understand or its just thainess in action.

Worth a visit..yes, but although i live within walking distance its a place i go to just a few times per year, to be honest if i had to pay 2000bht i just would not go,

I think in reality with this double pricing they actually loose money, many foreigners avoid going there because of the double pricing policy, also foreigners tend to spend more on the over priced bait, food and drink, whereas the thais are more inclined to take a bottle of hong thong or whatever for the group and buy food from outside,

Maybe the owners are just too greedy to understand or its just thainess in action.

Agreed for people living here its far too much. My dad really hates it before with 1000 he was ok. Now with 2000bt he just goes less when he is here. Dual pricing is just bad.

Next time ill get him a fake thai drivers-license cheesy.gif

Not sure the fake licence would work more than once, i noticed last year the staff were under orders to photo copy all foreigners licences and work permits, explanation was that the women at the counter had been taking 2000 but handing out a ticket for 400 and pocketing 1600,

scammers getting scammed? w00t.gif

Not sure the fake licence would work more than once, i noticed last year the staff were under orders to photo copy all foreigners licences and work permits, explanation was that the women at the counter had been taking 2000 but handing out a ticket for 400 and pocketing 1600,

Getting him a real one might prove difficult :P

Too bad but it hurts more to those who know the cost difference.

I go fishing with dad.. i pay 400 and he pays 2000. Does not feel good to him at all. Just that feeling can ruin a mood totally.

Getting him a real one might prove difficult tongue.png

Too bad but it hurts more to those who know the cost difference.

I go fishing with dad.. i pay 400 and he pays 2000. Does not feel good to him at all. Just that feeling can ruin a mood totally.

Truth is rob many first time visitors pay the 2000 without realising they were caught up in double pricing until a few hours into fishing, quite a lot of them (not only westerners but other asians) leave with a bad taste in the mouth and dont return, return custom seems not to be part of the thai business concept,

As a rod builder/repairer much of my work comes from either customers or guides at bsr,predominantly thai or other asians,

Personally i dont care too much what they do with their immoral pricing as it does,nt affect me...i just find it tasteless and embarrasing when going with others who have to pay the 2000.

is there another place without double pricing ?

or even 2x pricing not 5x ?

I do not mind a little more , but 5x is over the top sad.png

Too many to name here, its just that bsr became famous for bait and wait for large mehkongs and carp, for me predator fishing in the wild beats all the fishing parks.

I have a great time there. Beats paying 4000Bht to bob about in a boat with twenty others and catch next to nothing. I use my own custom made rod, barbless hooks and 32lb line. I got a 107lb Mekong on that and had a hell of a job getting it in. I can also recommend Gillham's. Again a fishing farm but not as easy to catch there as you might think. Would I rather be on a mountain river with a fly rod .. you bet. But if you haven't fished for a year and you have only a day or so to spare then park fishing is fine by me.

As for two priced system ... get over it. The whole world is a two priced system. No one is making you pay it.

As for two priced system ... get over it. The whole world is a two priced system. No one is making you pay it.

Of all the 2 tier pricing in Thailand, fishermen (and hunters) from Canada and the USA should be impervious to even taking notice.

Buy a Texas fishing license as a Texas resident: $30. As a Non-Resident: $58. And that's a lot closer than many states with even higher multiples. Same thing with getting into many state parks, non-residents pay a lot more. And, my recollection, last time I bought a non-citizen fishing license in Canada, I winced...

Most of the visitors I fish with are well aware they're paying a lot more than I am. Because I warn them long before we show up at the pond. And they gladly pay it anyway. It's still a great value compared to other places we've fished together. (In fairness, often as not, I'm paying for them anyway- or they're paying for all of us and the other guy buys the food.)

Of all the 2 tier pricing in Thailand, fishermen (and hunters) from Canada and the USA should be impervious to even taking notice.

Buy a Texas fishing license as a Texas resident: $30. As a Non-Resident: $58. And that's a lot closer than many states with even higher multiples. Same thing with getting into many state parks, non-residents pay a lot more. And, my recollection, last time I bought a non-citizen fishing license in Canada, I winced...

Most of the visitors I fish with are well aware they're paying a lot more than I am. Because I warn them long before we show up at the pond. And they gladly pay it anyway. It's still a great value compared to other places we've fished together. (In fairness, often as not, I'm paying for them anyway- or they're paying for all of us and the other guy buys the food.)

Thing is mate we are not all from Canada and the USA.. where I come from (Netherlands this is considered truly unfair).

My dad hates it.. but then again we were raised with a different sense of fairness.

You are are making one big mistake here.. your comparing nature governed and paid for by your local government where parts are paid by tax with a commercial venue. In my opinion those cannot be compared as the places in your example are paid for by state funds and people living in those states are already paying for it in a way by taxes. That is simply not the case here as its a commercial venue. This would be akin to having you go into the supermarket paying 1$ for bread and me 2$ because I am a tourist.

I bet that would even irk people like you.

Fair point. However, do you not have discounts for those that are regular users or are on welfare or aged etc. My main gripe is with those that complain about National Park entry fees. I think it not unreasonable for tourists to pay more. And by the way our local rubbish tip charges double if you can't prove you live in the shire. And, this morning I had coffee as usual with the crew that always meet up on a Sunday and we pay half price but others pay full price. But I accept the point that this is a commercial advantage that is not predicated on race. I guess we don't all live in countries as enlightened as the Netherlands!

Fair point. However, do you not have discounts for those that are regular users or are on welfare or aged etc. My main gripe is with those that complain about National Park entry fees. I think it not unreasonable for tourists to pay more. And by the way our local rubbish tip charges double if you can't prove you live in the shire. And, this morning I had coffee as usual with the crew that always meet up on a Sunday and we pay half price but others pay full price. But I accept the point that this is a commercial advantage that is not predicated on race. I guess we don't all live in countries as enlightened as the Netherlands!

I live in Thailand..

You are again comparing commercial venues (national parks are not and I can see justification there for tourists to pay more as they don't pay tax here and the national parks are kept up by taxes) and commercial businesses.

Its normal to pay more for rubbish if you don't live there because you pay city taxes that finance that rubbish heap. again perfectly acceptable as its government funded and funded by those who live there.

As for your coffee.. no idea why that is cheaper for you as others maybe as you come there as a regular.

Anyway.. my gripes stay for commercial venues like BSR using two tier pricing.. that is not just based on living here or not (though with a Thai DL or work-permit you get in cheaper) but based on the color of your skin.

is there another place without double pricing ?

or even 2x pricing not 5x ?

I do not mind a little more , but 5x is over the top sad.png

Too many to name here, its just that bsr became famous for bait and wait for large mehkongs and carp, for me predator fishing in the wild beats all the fishing parks.

I agree with that, the parks are good fun for a days fishing but fishing out I the wild is much better. You may not catch the giant fish that you catch in the overstocked fishing parks but for me far better.

I believe you are talking about something completley different, state run national park prices are based on being a resident (tax payer) in that state as are fishing/hunting permits ie not based on skin color or or facial features/ancestral origine., which by the way is a human rights crime signed by thailand in agreement with the UN,

It was also written into previous constitutions ( not sure they have one at the moment) but by international law very illegal.

As usual this is going in circles. Either you like park fishing or you don't. Either you pay the price or you don't.

Its either you like dual pricing or you don't. I think we can both agree that we like fishing parks. Though you never gave me an explanation for the difference between commercial and government subsidized stuff. Guess that logic was hard to ignore.

Archived