Map of Road 7 extention and a New East-West link.

Thailand J

I did some exploring around the Ban Amphur spur last Sunday.  Between the toll booths and Sukhumvit there are a number (at least two) junctions for local traffic.

There is also a big gap, with no construction yet, a km or so west of the junction near Ban Nok.  I do not know how big!  It is probably due to deiays in acquiring the land.  So completion, at least of this spur, will still be some time away.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can not understand the logic of putting an elaborate expensive junction on highway seven to go back the 331 which it just crossed over a few hundred meters before and had ample room for run on and run off roads.

And even worse it looks like it ends in back at the 331 in a  T junction with no entry or exit lanes

Map.jpg

Map1.jpg

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I can not understand the logic of putting an elaborate expensive junction on highway seven to go back the 331 which it just crossed over a few hundred meters before and had ample room for run on and run off roads.

Maybe they're planning on extending it to sukhumvit (3) to create another way to get to Bang Saray/Sattahip? Otherwise makes no sense at all.

The second image (where it connects to 331) does not reflect what they have done there at all...

They have utilised an existing bridge (at that location) as an underpass - plus they will need the room for toll booths - LOTS of room for the HUGE building that house a few toll booth operators.

It does make sense, as it will allow better traffic flow.

What does not make sense is putting a rest stop just east of 331...?

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

And even worse it looks like it ends in back at the 331 in a  T junction with no entry or exit lanes

Possibly intending to create better access to Silverlake, the water park and other tourist attractions, which are just to the west of the junction.

At the moment those attractions are served by a single, hilly and windy road.

2118192085_newmwlink.jpg.69fe90f58cf9a6f1f8ae762f1a6c643d.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Map.jpg

Map1.jpg

Although the map looks like a T junction it is not, it goes under the 331 and around a slip road and back North, purely to allow access to the Silverlake turn off a couple of hundred meters up the 331. I guess the map drawer forgot to add all those loops!! 

The same junction also has a slip to the south on the 331 which will probably be widely used for direct access to U Tapao.

Edited by LennyW
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 1:20 AM, LennyW said:

The same junction also has a slip to the south on the 331 which will probably be widely used for direct access to U Tapao.

...is the correct answer.

This interchange will be the primary motorway access to/from U-Tapao via 331.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:34 AM, NanLaew said:

...is the correct answer.

This interchange will be the primary motorway access to/from U-Tapao via 331.

Then why do the signs just erected on Sukumvit South at Ban Amphur only shows Bangkok as the destination for 7 and nothing about U-Tapao, Ban Chang or Rayong ? 

19 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Then why do the signs just erected on Sukumvit South at Ban Amphur only shows Bangkok as the destination for 7 and nothing about U-Tapao, Ban Chang or Rayong ? 

Because the road's not finished and open yet?

The sign from 7's new junction to Utapao/Ban Chang is also covered up, only the right lane to Pattaya/Bangkok is shown

• 2 months later...

Judging by the traffic jam heading south towards Sattahip at the Bahn Amphur intersection

the plod where out again collecting fines this morning ???? it seems to be their new favourite spot.

they also regularly have a stop point northbound just before the Ambassador hotel  ????  (normally afternoon /evening )

5 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Why you would construct a toll plaza wheen the highway isn't completed?

I would have thought tollway and highway construction would be done in parallel  so they could be opened at the same time.. I can't believe the tollbooths are afterthoughts..it was all planned out long ago surely ???

47 minutes ago, johng said:

I would have thought tollway and highway construction would be done in parallel  so they could be opened at the same time.. I can't believe the tollbooths are afterthoughts..it was all planned out long ago surely ???

They are planned but they tend to be opened only after everything else is done.

The toll booths on the motorway extension between Chonburi and Pattaya were all in place for months before being opened, and the motorway itself was long finished by then.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Why you would construct a toll plaza wheen the highway isn't completed?

So they don't have to later close the highway while they are building the toll plaza. This being Thailand however, I'm sure they'll find a cause to dig it all up anyway. 

20 hours ago, topt said:

Press reports have always given a completion date of 2020 - or do you think it will be later :smile:

I think we will be driving on the new extension sometime this year.  The toll booths will open in a test mode later this year and the "official" open will be 2020. I base this on no known info just looking at the work in progress from day to day

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 12:24 PM, johng said:

Judging by the traffic jam heading south towards Sattahip at the Bahn Amphur intersection

the plod where out again collecting fines this morning ???? it seems to be their new favourite spot.

they also regularly have a stop point northbound just before the Ambassador hotel  ????  (normally afternoon /evening )

The one near the Ambassador Hotel has been there off and on for years.

• 2 months later...

Hey I am kick starting this topic as I cannot see any info about the toll booths and if they are in any state of construction. The roadway and interchange here in the Ban Chang end is nearing a finish but I cannot get any info about the all important toll booths.

So can someone shed some light on this?

I had a look on Google satellite view and there seems to be still 2 or 3 (maybe more) sections where they haven't been able to "appropriate" the land yet the road just suddenly stops then starts again the other side.

10 hours ago, longball53098 said:

Hey I am kick starting this topic as I cannot see any info about the toll booths and if they are in any state of construction. The roadway and interchange here in the Ban Chang end is nearing a finish but I cannot get any info about the all important toll booths.

So can someone shed some light on this?

the junction at the 331 road, still has bits of road missing, not seen any booths being constructed anywhere