Thailand Jails British Teen For Life

george

Poor b*stard - He's got my sympathy.

I haven't read everybody's comments properly, only just scanned over a few, but for everybody quick to jump on the "idiot got what he deserved" bandwagon, please bear in mind this guys background.

More than likely, he's never been outside Manchester, let alone Thailand. A few news articles have mentioned that he was in debt, so imagine being in such a "closed in" community, bearing in mind his stated mental age, with a constant voice telling him "do this for easy money", then perhaps some reason can be applied to this seemingly absurd plan.

I know for a fact a judge in the UK would take some of this into consideration.

There was a Thai guy in the office a few weeks ago working on some ongoing renovations wearing a T-shirt that simply said "F*uck You You F*cking <deleted>!" - If I'm ever stupid enough to land myself in front of a Thai judge for whatever reason, I'll be wearing this shirt - it won't make a blind bit of difference to the final outcome.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you're putting down your 6th Chang of the night, remember that in many countries, you would find yourself in jail for abusing such a drug.

in which case, when in such countries, it would be prudent to stay within the law and not drink.

and if you made the mistake of having a few drinks with friends (indulging in illegal drugs) would you deserve a life sentence? Even if you ran a small bar in your apartment, would you deserve a life sentence?

When a 19 year old with the mental capacity of a 14 year old is caught smuggling ecstacy in a foreign country, perhaps a second trial is prudent. Or does Thailand just want to make an example of this poor kid?

Smuggling E in Thailand is stupid. But there should be a whole different debate among us. You are simple minded if you believe that any substance the government classifies as an illegal drug is somehow evil and therefore deserves punishments like this. E is very different from heroine. Marijuana is very different from ya ba. Enlightened governments would recognize this (and some have).

Again, the rules are the rules. I'm not arguing that. I'm just arguing that the rules should be changed.

As for pleading guilty to receive a life sentence rather than death, I imagine a fair share of innocent people would take this option and I don't think it says much for as to his guilt or lack thereof.

i think you have missed the point

the courts have ruled on the qty

this kid was smuggling huge amounts for sale and profit

the sentence is based on this and not the substance :o

Smuggling E in Thailand is stupid. But there should be a whole different debate among us. You are simple minded if you believe that any substance the government classifies as an illegal drug is somehow evil and therefore deserves punishments like this. E is very different from heroine. Marijuana is very different from ya ba. Enlightened governments would recognize this (and some have).

Again, the rules are the rules. I'm not arguing that. I'm just arguing that the rules should be changed.

As for pleading guilty to receive a life sentence rather than death, I imagine a fair share of innocent people would take this option and I don't think it says much for as to his guilt or lack thereof.

i think you have missed the point

the courts have ruled on the qty

this kid was smuggling huge amounts for sale and profit

the sentence is based on this and not the substance :o

Did you see the bit about him having the mental capacity of a 14 year old?

What do you mean 'its based on this and not on the substance'? Its precisely because E is considered a dangerous and illegal drug that he's been given this sentence. If he was smuggling huge amounts of VCD's for sale and profit, would he be given this sentence? No.

Imagine a close friend was caught smuggling huge amounts of alcohol into a Middle Eastern country, similar to what Bob mentioned. He gets caught. In those countries, the punishment is severe. Now, without a doubt, you have a stupid friend. But with our understanding of alcohol, that in moderation and in responsible hands, it is not such an evil, many of us would see a severe punishment for importing something that we have in our fridge right now, as simply wrong.

Similarly, with a true understanding of drugs like e and marijuana, we might be outraged at existing laws that require such severe punishment for those who are involved in buying and selling these substances.

Statements such as 'the law is the law' and 'serves him right', simply ignore the real issue.

He's got my sympathy. Ok so he's a stupid idiot etc druggie blah blah..but....

I'm not into the illegal drugs but still do coffee, tea, alcahol, sugar, cigarettes, Television. If the law said ok would you do, opium? heroin? coke? E? Grass? LSD?. No ? Why ? because it used to be illegal and you know right from wrong ? or because you are intelligent enough to decide for yourself based on the information you know. You should read up on the legal drugs and what they can do to you.....

Think about it for a moment........ Ok so your brought up in a city. Manchester City center, not the prettiest of places and a bit on the rough side..... yes folks not everyone is from a nice area with good neighbors and attentive parents.

Into whatever the youth are into and always following the other kids, in a gang, peer pressure etc. Try a few drugs, listen to the latest sounds go to clubs etc. All very normal city life for the not so rich or lucky. Come to think of it if truth be told, in England even the rich are at it on the drugs scene and have a similar social scene. I suspect it's the same in most countries now.

The difference here is he is not smart at all and has no common sense or much education.

So you owe a mate a few quid and the opportunity comes up to make a few bucks. Heard all these stories about Thailand, fun, party, girls, etc. Never been anywhere or done anything to impress friends ..... Sounds like fun and make a reputation on the streets, can tell all in the clubs, impress the guys and girls. Sure go for it, no thoughts no concerns why not ?

After all at 19 or even worse 14 what did you know ?? be honest now were you a bit of a tearaway ?? or are you all saints here ? :D

I don't expect many of you to care about this young man but a lot of you make me sick to hear you say "let him rot" "he's lucky", "if it were up to me" blah blah..... Boy I hope none of you do anything in life that gets you on the wrong side of the law, either by intention or accidental. And don't say "not me" because you may just make a mistake on the road or something else, it can happen.

I agree that when in another country you have to respect the law or at your peril...... but 99 years ? come on .... a tad harsh i'd say .... but good for the press and TRT to show the evil Falang again. What happened to the other Thai dealers they caught last year ?? any information ???

Ok you may say fair sentence based on the huge amount. Who are you kidding! if you think a couple of moisturiser tubs full is huge :D ...... In international drug smuggling it is peanuts, the majority get through in larger caches but with "official co-oporation" at certain locals.

I don't think this kid is in the same league as Mr "shit happens" who is old enough and certainly ugly enough to know better......

In a world where terrorists and molesters, even murderers get less........ it's a funny and sometimes cruel world we live in. :o

How are Judges chosen in thailand?

what about the young thais in jail for 6-7 years for possession of one or two amphetimine tablets?

I wonder if any sons or daughters of the rich and powerful have ever been prosecuted in this country... or maybe they just don t take drugs? ( or shoot policemen )

Ok- the lads a mental midget, so does this excuse him for doing a crime? What if he had murdered someone? No I think its just an excuse - even a "14" yr old has common sense enough to know the consequences of breaking the law. (not usually good)

If he was in debt- what's he doing on holiday in LOS and with that quantity of tablets on him? He was out to deliver them to his contact-plain/simple.

UPDATE: sons of influential politicians get 18 months jail for shooting dead a policemen. To be confirmed tomorrow.

I wonder if his dad argued that his son had the mental age of a fourteen year old? A common occurance in the TV educated generation....

:o

I wonder if any sons or daughters of the rich and powerful have ever been prosecuted in this country... or maybe they just don t take drugs? ( or shoot policemen )

I guess they are protected by the police from being caught. :o

But in HK, it is the same. Otherwise, why would people want to be rich and powerful? :D

UPDATE: sons of influential politicians get 18 months jail for shooting dead a policemen. To be confirmed tomorrow.

I wonder if his dad argued that his son had the mental age of a fourteen year old? A common occurance in the TV educated generation....

:D

Have you mis-spelt the word years by months? :o

I shall have to say I feel sorry for this boy. Let's say 1 E for a day, it is still 3400 days only. Isn't life sentence a bit harsh? I remember going to a disco or rave party(whatever you call it) in London, everyone was on drugs! Isn't it common in the UK?

Well, 12 hours later, he is in a place where the rules seem to come from another planet. Do you think, being 19, is capable of comprehending?

Have you guys seen the film "Midnight Express"? For those who have, which side were you on? Were you on the Turkish side or the guy's? :o

He's got my sympathy. Ok so he's a stupid idiot etc druggie blah blah..but....

I'm not into the illegal drugs but still do coffee, tea, alcahol, sugar, cigarettes, Television. If the law said ok would you do, opium? heroin? coke? E? Grass? LSD?. No ? Why ? because it used to be illegal and you know right from wrong ? or because you are intelligent enough to decide for yourself based on the information you know. You should read up on the legal drugs and what they can do to you.....

Think about it for a moment........ Ok so your brought up in a city. Manchester City center, not the prettiest of places and a bit on the rough side..... yes folks not everyone is from a nice area with good neighbors and attentive parents.

Into whatever the youth are into and always following the other kids, in a gang, peer pressure etc. Try a few drugs, listen to the latest sounds go to clubs etc.  All very normal city life for the not so rich or lucky. Come to think of it if truth be told, in England even the rich are at it on the drugs scene and have a similar social scene. I suspect it's the same in most countries now.

The difference here is he is not smart at all and has no common sense or much education.

So you owe a mate a few quid and the opportunity comes up to make a few bucks. Heard all these stories about Thailand, fun, party, girls, etc. Never been anywhere or done anything to impress friends ..... Sounds like fun and make a reputation on the streets, can tell all in the clubs, impress the guys and girls. Sure go for it, no thoughts no concerns why not ?

After all at 19 or even worse 14 what did you know ?? be honest now were you a bit of a tearaway ?? or are you all saints here ?  :D

I don't expect many of you to care about this young man but  a lot of you make me sick to hear you say "let him rot" "he's lucky", "if it were up to me" blah blah..... Boy I hope none of you do anything in life that gets you on the wrong side of the law, either by intention or accidental. And don't say "not me" because you may just make a mistake on the road or something else, it can happen.

I agree that when in another country you have to respect the law or at your peril......  but 99 years ? come on .... a tad harsh i'd say .... but good for the press and TRT to show the evil Falang again. What happened to the other Thai dealers they caught last year ?? any information ???

Ok you may say fair sentence based on the huge amount. Who are you kidding! if you think a couple of moisturiser tubs full is huge  :D ...... In international drug smuggling it is peanuts, the majority get through in larger caches but with "official co-oporation" at certain locals.

I don't think this kid is in the same league as Mr "shit happens" who is old enough and certainly ugly enough to know better......

In a world where terrorists and molesters, even murderers get less........ it's a funny and sometimes cruel world we live in.  :o

Well said.

Turkish Prison/Midnight Express- well he deserved what he got too! Remember you are thinking that the punishment doesn't fit the crime by western standards. (torture bit is a bit rough, but imprisonment is well deserved)

I always believe that you need to be especially careful in other countries since I know fully that their will be most likely extreme consequences if I happen to break the law.

Case in point the Yank Lad in Singapore- decided to spray paint public property. Needless to say their was an outcry by the yanks that being whipped wasn't faire. He was whipped and rightfully so. Live by the law in the country you are in and don't expect the same in another country.

Could anyone here please explain how bad and dangerous "ecstasies" are ?

And when comparing to alcohol, what difference does it make?

Its easy to see what the difference is between the two.

On a saturday night go and stand out side a dance club and watch everyone come out. You'll see everyone happy and laughing and saying what a brilliant night they've had and watch everyone disperse without one single fight or trouble. Ecstasy.

Walk to into the city centre and watch revellers come out of pop clubs. You'll see mass brawls, fighting with the police, Windows being smashed. Cars getting kicked in. Alcohol.

Thats the difference between the two.

Could anyone here please explain how bad and dangerous "ecstasies" are ?

They are no worse than Alcohol or cigarettes.

10 people die each year in the UK from ecstasy.

100,000 die each year from smoking related deaths. which cost the NHS billions.

60,000 die each year from drink related deaths, which costs the NHS, Police billions.

The only reason why Ecstasy makes the national papers for is because it's illegal and the government cant tax it.

I have taken the time to read all the posts, some of which show a higher level of compassion for the individual than others.

Interesting was the high number of instant condemnation posts prior to the release of information regarding his mental age of 14.

"Out of the box" thinking is neccessary here to establish where the fault lies in churning members of society like this individual.

Any society that encourages a two tier system of opportunity will always produce guys of this nature. Thailands two tier system is a good example. Look in any classified section and you will find job opportunties in abundance...only for University graduates, if you don't have a degree your life is already mapped out for you. No career, no security, no acceptance, by the very people who create the 2T system.

Many would argue that everyone has an equal opportunity to study to this minimum prerequisite level, but the truth is the society fails many of our youth who will be the wealth of its society.

Many societies create the 'Michaels' of this world early on in the education system as was the case in my day at school in England during the 11+ days. Then, your results of that test would determine where your next 4-6 years of learning would be, if successful you be considered a potential candidate for scholastic success and go to a school of learning, if not you would most certainly bo job hunting before your 16th birthday.

Should a childs life be decided at the tender age of 10!!!!!

Society, peer pressure, and corporate manipulation creates a society of capitalists of us all, craving all the things that enriches our lives (supposedly). The American dream is exactly this, and those who are excluded are labled wasters, low-life's and the like.

When you are constantly exposed to the 'Finer things' in life you understandably want them. When you realize all too late your not invited, it can cause emotions that lead us to do desperate things to be 'Accepted' by our peers.

The gap between the haves and have not's is widening and young men and women like Michael are being spat out onto the streets with little or no chance of a job let alone personal growth and general contentment.

The front line in all wars past and present are scattered with dead men considered little more than 'Fodder', while the commissioned officer with his university degree in most cases is far enough away to dodge the bullets.

Where was the encouragement for this young man to study, to learn and arm himself with the tools needed in this day and age just to compete in the jungle that life has become. Where was the parental guidance, the fatherly chats, the little rewards for doing well in his subjects.

The great teacher debate presently going on in another forum asks the question of teaching ability, or should, unfortunately it appears to be lost in the qualification to teach rather than the ability.

Where were his teachers when he needed help understanding topics. Did they miss the fact that he was probably a slow learner, were they just a bunch of clock watchers waiting for the next cheque.

There are addedages like " There is no such thing as a bad student, only a bad teacher" and "Your only as good as your worst student" well we are all teachers, all of us have a responsiblity to educate the children and pass on valuable life learning tips.

This young man, like so many others has been let down by the rest of us, we who make up the society.

The film 'John Q' highlights very well how society works well for some but not for others, would you all condem him for going to the only extreme left open to him, in order to give his son his chance at life.

The WWF ( not the wrestling) run television campaigns suggesting that "when the buying stops so will the killing"

Possibly the same could be said for dangerous drugs....

and on the severity of this mans crime, he attempted to supply a product to what could be considered as willing end users, as having access to drugs is one thing, but using them takes the conscience decision to put the into your mouth, vien whatever. Far more dangerous is the University type who runs a corporation and delibarately and consciously sets out to rape its assets, and simultaneously the livelyhoods of thousands of people in whom they trusted. How much 'time' will the Enron and Worldcom villains do, precious liitle I expect.

When using drugs becomes socially 'un-cool' then manufacturers, distibutors and suppliers will dissappear.

Until then we must show the disgust of our own failing by making an example of one man who society ignored.

I do not condone the illicit drugs trade, it is a scourge on any society. But to win the fight we must tackle all the elements from the grass roots, not just the end results.

We will never know what this young man could have contributed to this world if only people had paid just a fraction of the attention he to him when he needed it, that he is recieving now.

Shame on us all.

Teach

he will never do 99 years

my first thai GF got busted with selling 5 E's and got 5 years full term

and a few thousand dealers got shot dead last year ( this is a harsh penalty)

some positives - he has enough time to learn thai language ( read and write), write a book, learn thai cuisine, etc etc

:o

The gap between the haves and have not's is widening and young men and women like Michael are being spat out onto the streets with little or no chance of a job let alone personal growth and general contentment.

Whilst I can understand and sympathize with your sentiment and agree the gap between haves and have nots is widening, I tend to disagree somewhat. I myself came from a working class council estate just outside of Manchester, I went to a normal state school and was funded by local government to attend college's etc... I was raised in the exact same environment as Michael and hung around with the same types. I believe the majority of people have the chance to develop themselves, should the desire be there. There lies the point, the desire, as I mentioned in my earlier post education is the key here. If Michael's parents cared a little more and didn't join the growing number of 'baby machines' in the UK that care little for themselves let alone their children then he would probably not have ended up where he is now. I believe nearly everyone has the chance to grow on a personal level. I understand society places obsticles in certain peoples paths and it is only human nature that people are judged on class, education, circles of influence etc... but that should never be a probem for someone with desire. I have to stand by my earlier posting and say education is the key.

A couple of things :

E is not generally not made in a quality controlled lab where there is strict control over dosage rates, absobtion rates etc etc. From what I understand it is made in someone's garage or kitchen. So yes its fun to take so they say, but I will say no.

Michael Alan Connell will probably changing his name to Chicken......

some positives - he has enough time to learn thai language ( read and write)

And then when he finishes his time, be blacklisted from ever entering the country and having the opportunity to use his new learned skills.

To all the posters who said "let him rot in he11", would you say the same if it was YOUR son or daughter ?

if it was my child i would have hoped my parenting skills and nurturing would have dissuaded him from even starting on the path of self destruction that led to him being where he is now.

ask his parents what sort of parents they have been during his 19 years on this earth.

if it was my son or daughter who bought some of his drugs and suffered as a result of using those drugs then i would certainly want him to rot .