A Teaching crisis

Hi

I am a teacher who has taught for a number of years and I came to Thailand for a teaching job but the school's philosophy and beliefs are not aligned with my philosophy and beliefs. I am an Asian who grew up in America and Australia I would love to work in a PYP school but there are a number of factors against me. First of all, my passport is not from a native English speaking country. Secondly I don't have PYP experience but no PYP school will accept you unless you have PYP experience so I am unlikely to get it since my passport is from the wrong country. All my qualifications are in place. I have a Masters in Education from a Australian University and a graduate dip in teaching. I really want the PYP experience but where to start? I can't change my home country! I love Bangkok but I am getting disillusioned and impatient. I worked hard for my Masters and in the end, it does not seem to be paying off!

Any Advice?

What is PYP?

The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP) is an educational programme managed by the International Baccalaureate (IB) for students aged 3 to 12.[1] While the programme prepares students for the IB Middle Years Programme, it is not a prerequisite for it. The subject areas of the PYP are language, social studies, mathematics, science and technology, arts, and personal, social and physical education. Students are required to learn a second language during the programme. Assessment is carried out by teachers according to strategies provided by the IB, and with respect to guidelines to what the students should learn specified in the curriculum model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_Primary_Years_Programme

Gotta love Wiki!

We had a teacher in an international university who was born and raised in Hawaii, the 50th state of the US. She looked oriental and was paid as a Thai as they said she was not a native English speaker as she was not a white person. We had some blacks from the US getting the same treatment. That is the way it is over here. Your might try Vietnam or South Korea. You might have better luck.

Feel very sorry for you but don't hold much hope of you making them see sense.

Why not write (a letter and send it Registered Mail) to the Thai Minister for Education, explaining the problem. It can't hurt and just maybe, he/she (ensure you get his/her name and USE it...not just, "Dear Minister." ) will sort something out for you.

Worth a try, but send it Registered Mail...forget about emails, he/she and his/her minions probably get thousands of emails a day and yours will get lost. A Registered Letter, is something a bit different these days.

Good luck!

Welcome to the disgrace that masquerades as the Thai education system in which your appearance is far more important than any other factor. If I were you I would seek PYP experience in China, more international schools opening there, or elsewhere and then use that experience to apply to the so called first tier international schools in Thailand. A lot of the 'lesser' 'international' schools in Thailand are not actually 'international' - they are just cash cows trading on elitism and exclusivity. As the Italians would say 'coraggio". DOn't let it get you down.

Sorry to hear your story. Unfortunately, Thailand does not seem ready to embrace qualifications versus a person's appearance.

Thailand is missing the boat and perhaps your goals may be better received in other countries that have a more progressive education system.

Good Luck and Best Wishes.

You do not say if you have applied to an International school [iS] which would be the main provider of the controversial PYP. You have to spread your wings. Do you want to teach a curriculum or the kids? I know I know. Both! I hear you say. Well apply to an IS. Anywhere. Get the experience. But beware; PYP is close to becoming an official religion.

Why put up with the abuse, low pay and racism of the Thai education system...

Get yourself a real job in another country and come to Thailand on holiday...you will be glad you did not work here...

The problem lies in the fact that Thai parents (and a lot of other Asian and European parents) will not accept a non-native speaker on the same terms as a native speaker. For PYP you will have to get in to an international school and in Thailand this is very tough for a non-native speaker to be hired on the same terms as a native speaker. I suggest you try China, Europe, Australia or America as you would have more chance in these countries in my experience. Your best chance of teaching PYP in Thailand is to wait until recruitment is nearly over and then see if some schools have failed to fill all their places. Many schools will take teachers without PYP training and then send you on the training once you start work. You should definitely think of registering with a recruitment agency and attending job fairs, although it is late in the season for this. I recommend Search Associates for PYP jobs.

I accidentally came across a payroll report a few years back (we had to re-use paper for printing and this report was left in the stack) at a private school in Kanchanaburi. I saw the highest paid Thai teacher with 35 years experience and a PhD was making 25k baht per month. Most private schools I've seen top out at 55-60k baht per month for a foreign teacher, and you run a high risk of being replaced by two new teachers once you've maxed out. The international schools I've worked at are the only real career paths available in Thailand, but you will receive a lower salary if you're already in Thailand (considered a local hire). If you truly want to make teaching a career path, get into the international school systems. Both Regent's and St. Andrews had very impressive IB programs. Other than than, find another country. Thailand is becoming more teacher UNfriendly by the minute!

I hesitate to post here as the last time I did I was called a troll due to a low post count. Anyway, after 8 years teaching in the Thai school system all I can say is get out as soon as possible. You can't change anything. Thais are not interested in what you have to say. The education system is a cruel broken joke. Find a country that values education. With a master's degree you should be able to find work in Japan, Korea or China. I'm in Japan now and I am so happy I made the change. Do yourself a favor and find somewhere better to teach.

just curious but, why would anyone with an American and Australian education want to teach a British Primary curriculum? Not to start any fights but the British Empire has fallen and many schools like the cleaner pronuncian of American English.

ps. I sent you a PM

You have been given the message that for you a teaching career is elsewhere other than Thailand. Move to another country where the opportunity for career development is better.

Sorry, i have to ask. Where do i recognize your face from? I know I've seen you somewhere, lol.

just curious but, why would anyone with an American and Australian education want to teach a British Primary curriculum? Not to start any fights but the British Empire has fallen and many schools like the cleaner pronuncian of American English.

ps. I sent you a PM

Because its a well known fact that all colonies and outposts of the Empire offered and still offer inferior educationclap2.gif

Firstly, it is the Thai education system. Deal with it if you want the job, adapt and perform. What if you go to an international school were the boss is not on your wavelength?

OK, IB schools will employ inexperienced PYP teachers and send them on a training course. The more you know about the IB, learner profile, mission etc. the better chance you have.

Two helpful hints.

1. International school always have a teacher or two that do not turn up at the start of the school year in August. get your cv out there now and state your availability at any time, just a phone call away.

2. Do a course now. IB offers 4 week online courses to get a certification.

Good luck.

i'm a qualified and experienced teacher and now work in academic management - the way to make decent money in education. to be honest i would not work in this country; the state of the education system and financial rewards are just not there.

sure everyone has their own reasons for teaching here but for me professionally and financially it sucks.

I would suggest applying at a PYP school in the Middle East. I didn't have any PYP experience before coming to Kuwait & I was able to get a job (as are many other teachers some even first year teachers)! Brush up your CV, join TIEonline or JoyJobs and begin applying now as many of the schools are in full swing hiring for next year. Many international school admin have already been to the big teaching recruitment fairs. You can also join Search Associates at www.searchassociates.com

Good luck!

ps. I sent you a PM

The same is true for the MIddle East no matter how much some dislike the U.S.

Welcome to the disgrace that masquerades as the Thai education system in which your appearance is far more important than any other factor. If I were you I would seek PYP experience in China, more international schools opening there, or elsewhere and then use that experience to apply to the so called first tier international schools in Thailand. A lot of the 'lesser' 'international' schools in Thailand are not actually 'international' - they are just cash cows trading on elitism and exclusivity. As the Italians would say 'coraggio". DOn't let it get you down.

Talking of teaching in China, wear your shorts, slippers, etc to the classroom and teach the students perfectly and the Chinese will adore, cherish, love and admire you. If you want to leave the school, they add your salary. Not here where dressing is more important that teaching the students. Thai teachers spending all their time on Facebook on their phones in class. It's a sham. It is so so frustrating teaching here.

i'm a qualified and experienced teacher and now work in academic management - the way to make decent money in education. to be honest i would not work in this country; the state of the education system and financial rewards are just not there.

sure everyone has their own reasons for teaching here but for me professionally and financially it sucks.

How did Thailand manage to train some of the best doctors and dentists in Asia? I think they're mostly locally trained. Bumrungrad is probably the best hospital in SE Asia, and also I was just at Samitivej Hospital, which was also very good, in BKK. My Chiang Mai dentist was great. At first I thought it was because of his sign that says "UCLA-trained," but it turns out his dental doctorate was from Chiang Mai and he went to UCLA just for the master's in implant technology.

Feel really sorry for you. A good example might be my former school, where an American woman with a Master's in education, who had been a teacher in the States, signed up for 26 K at a Wonna be "World Class Standard Primary School." ( The Class without Cl would be a much better title, to be honest.)

She wasn't really white and that seemed to be a reason for them to treat her as a second class citizen.

When do people in this country actually wake up and face facts? Too many of them are using "Phuut Passa Tang Pratheet", because they don't know that there're countries, where people do not speak English as their first language.

Ignorance, mixed with a low IQ and the ability to continuously lose face isn't the right mixture for an human being.

Thailand still has a long way to go. Wish you best of luck, maybe in Vietnam? -.

We had a teacher in an international university who was born and raised in Hawaii, the 50th state of the US. She looked oriental and was paid as a Thai as they said she was not a native English speaker as she was not a white person. We had some blacks from the US getting the same treatment. That is the way it is over here. Your might try Vietnam or South Korea. You might have better luck.

Not necessarily true. My wife is a Filipina, but is a US citizen and has a US bachelor degree. She teaches at NES wages, has done so at three different schools. She does; however, speak English fluently, with an American accent. That said, she was turned-down by one school which said it hired only NES teachers. Tell your Asian- and African-origin NES friends to persevere, not all Thais are that thick-headed.

One advice

RUN

The Thai Education system is a joke..... and as a foreigner you will be nothing but a foreigner- they dont care what you have to say....

Thai teachers was on the top 5 list of most corrupt people in the country.... just to paint a picture... Bribes for grades is pretty common...

just go to another country

As difficult as I am sure it is, I would work on trying to get your papers together to be permitted to teach in Australia or another developed and non-Asian country. The problem with numerous Asian countries is that the students won't accept an Asian teacher. They will like hine or her more than the caucasian teachers usually there will be more rapportand understanding then comes the notion of how things are supposed to be and that always wins out. There are many Asian-American and educated in the west Asian teachers in Thailand, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Indonesia where I have taught. They are some of the most highly regarded teachers, but then they say, "Oh...but you aren't white. You can teach a few more months but its time to go back home after that." The schools never have the integrity to stand by the teachers no matter what the ethnicity but in your case that will be the unspoken issue. I worked for nearly 20 years over here and saw many excellent Asian teachers educated or born or immigrated to the west, it quickly all went wrong for all of them. It defies logic, I always felt the Asian teachers had so much more rapport and motivation to make a difference for the students, they seem usually to be so much more well liked. But because people will never challenge what has always been done, what people's expectations are they always say you are great, but no.

Not necessarily true. My wife is a Filipina, but is a US citizen and has a US bachelor degree. She teaches at NES wages, has done so at three different schools. She does; however, speak English fluently, with an American accent. That said, she was turned-down by one school which said it hired only NES teachers. Tell your Asian- and African-origin NES friends to persevere, not all Thais are that thick-headed.

A TVF member is Thai, she's got dual citizenship and and she makes not less, than any NES at her school. Haven't heard of her a long time, please when you read this, give your five baht to it.

Not all superiors at schools are EMPTYHEADS. No offence to the member with this username. facepalm.gif

The upper crust international schools will hire you despite that you are Asian, infact, the big non-profit international schools like to have a mix of nationalities teaching at their school as long as 1) you have a certified teaching degree from a legit university 2) you have over 2-5 years experience in the teaching field 3) you show stability and haven't jumped from one school to the next (a bad sign that you will not stay or easily discontent); 4) you need to speak clear English, not with a Filipino or Indian accent I do not know why you want to teach at a "PYP" school when you haven't taken the workshops to know what it is all about. (The PYP philosophy sounds great but one needs to be at a school that has good training for their teachers and everyone is on board. I personally not too keen on it since I question the sequence of basic skill in all areas that is not "helter skelter". You do not say your Asian nationality but if you go to the Asian country that you are from, the school will hire you as a "local hire" which means you do not get the same salary (maybe) or housing allowance. What you need to do (if you are really qualified and have experience in the USA or Australia), is go to the interview fairs run by ISS, Search Associates, TIE, or University Northern Iowa Recruitment fair. There are a couple recruitment fairs in January in BKK and there is one in June...somewhere, States? If you do not know of these recruitment agencies, then you are a newbie and not going through the proper channels. You do not fly into a country and knock on the school's door - unless it is some kind of ma and pa profit making school that wants the cheapest teacher they can get and this kind of school will not follow the legal requirements set by the department of education. You must have a working permit. These agencies such as The International Educator, International School Service, or Search are used by most overseas teachers looking for other teaching assignments in other countries. The high paying schools are looking for teachers that have a masters, experience teaching overseas (proves you won't jump ship), and you have minimum 3 or more years experience. However, one needs to get their start somewhere, so the smaller schools with lower wages will hire teachers without experience overseas as long as they have experience in his/her home country with a good resume and credentials. Just because the international school is not the main international school in the capital city does not mean that it is not of decent quality. You looks to see what their nationality make up? (If it is 80% of one nationality, then it isn't really "international") a good school will be accredited such as by WASC which is a stamp of approval that it has met strict criteria of a school back in the States. There are a lot so called "international schools" in China that are hiring. If they are for profit, they may not be properly managed. The building will look nice but maybe no books in the library or equipment for science. Once you get your experience at a decent international school, then it will open doors to the better schools where the embassy and big corporations sends their kids to. By the way, I think most of the new international schools (not really international) are PYP and IB schools.\

You do not say if you have applied to an International school [iS] which would be the main provider of the controversial PYP. You have to spread your wings. Do you want to teach a curriculum or the kids? I know I know. Both! I hear you say. Well apply to an IS. Anywhere. Get the experience. But beware; PYP is close to becoming an official religion.

Agreed.

Many international schools offer different tracks, often with the a PYP being one. Get your foot in the door and then try to move over to that department?

Archived