A Teaching crisis

I removed some of the senseless nationality bashing. Please refrain from these sort of posts.

It might also be a good idea to use paragraphs, especially in a teaching forum.

Paragraphs, yes, and even proper grammar.

• 1 year later...

We had a teacher in an international university who was born and raised in Hawaii, the 50th state of the US. She looked oriental and was paid as a Thai as they said she was not a native English speaker as she was not a white person. We had some blacks from the US getting the same treatment. That is the way it is over here. Your might try Vietnam or South Korea. You might have better luck.

Glad she left a school that would have an uninformed Thai School ADM official spouting off some rubbish Bias guano like that... Many Hawaiians here teaching English no problems Brah.. Guess nationality and ethnicity was a difficult concept for the official..

We had a teacher in an international university who was born and raised in Hawaii, the 50th state of the US. She looked oriental and was paid as a Thai as they said she was not a native English speaker as she was not a white person. We had some blacks from the US getting the same treatment. That is the way it is over here. Your might try Vietnam or South Korea. You might have better luck.

Not necessarily true. My wife is a Filipina, but is a US citizen and has a US bachelor degree. She teaches at NES wages, has done so at three different schools. She does; however, speak English fluently, with an American accent. That said, she was turned-down by one school which said it hired only NES teachers. Tell your Asian- and African-origin NES friends to persevere, not all Thais are that thick-headed.

Agreed but why put up with such BS.. yes, there are some pretty cool school and adm folks, but the majority "the old school" are still influenced by color and popular media.. Many Thai school officials do not know the difference between ethnicity and nationality, it is color... sadly.. and of course money.

As asian american, born in the USA, it is still funny to hear this response from some Thais and more impressive from school official: What language do they speak in Hawaii country?

I've met Filipino English teachers, some good and some oh my...but many are quite professional and clever with student learning activities.

However, a sad issues about the teaching crisis is the required turn 60 retire that person. Regardless.. The experience and quality.. the know how is lost because some Thai BA crat is saving money ... their call.

There are many over 60 teachers quite capable of working at high levels of energy..

Then of course, the students of today.... Sometimes, discipline and honor are not concepts taught, modeled, or encouraged by Thai school officials.

I do feel sorry for the Thai teachers who do it right..

So be it all said and done.. nothing, nothing.. status quo...

Seconding others who feel sorry for your predicament.

I've met outstanding Thai teachers. And they were earning about 40% of what some guy from Ghana with a 540 TOEIC score was making (not counting the free house, while she was staying in some dorm in town). Bet her TOEIC score was >300 pointns higher. She was from Chula... Alas, national origin seems to answer who is good or bad.

That's so weird.

The other day, I came across an ad ruling out Blacks.

Archived