New Bangkok Nightlife Curfew Rumors Cause Tourism Concerns

Jacob Maslow

Had this curfew in Chiang Mai since the coup and a few bars have gone bust.

Is it because of the curfew the bars went bust or because Thai bars go bust all the time anyway?

BTW I don't support the curfew.

• Like 1

The nightlife seems like it's been dead for a while now. I know the vans used to kind of obstruct traffic flow through Suk 11, but at least the area seemed festive and well, busy. I'm not much of a club person, or even a gogo bar person. Meeting random people over beers or buckets in the street was a favorite pasttime of mine. The streets seem so empty now, everything closes early and it's become kind of boring. Even tourists I met were kind of like, hey this place isn't what I expected at all, why is everything closed?

The removal of the vans in soi 11 was long overdue. The people who frequented them are better off staying in KSR and they, more than anything, wrought havoc on that soi. Cheap bastards, our African dealer friends etc... The whole soi went downhill with the influx of shit....

That's called the counter view

By the way, were you one of the ones that bought cheap beer but happily frequented the toilets of all the real bars in the soi while not actually a customer? Like the 500-1000 that did that every night...

I agree with you on everything closing too early. But the good people know best. That's why they are running things. You should comply and know your place :)

Edited by sandrew33

I realize this is Thailand, so facts and laws are always in flux. I see some contradictions on this thread on what this all means. One poster says there will be no exceptions. Another says Nana and Cowboy are entertainment zones and are exempt. Does anyone know for sure?

If you refer to my post a few posts before yours, I think it's pretty clear.

This is not a curfew, it's an absolute enforcement of the law. Bars in some ebtertainment zones may have a 1am licence. A few may have 2am licences. Most don't and will close at 12.

Nana and Cowboy are covered by the rules. Most will have to close at 12.

I realize this is Thailand, so facts and laws are always in flux. I see some contradictions on this thread on what this all means. One poster says there will be no exceptions. Another says Nana and Cowboy are entertainment zones and are exempt. Does anyone know for sure?

Nana is not in an Entertainment Zone. Cowboy is, as is Patpong, RCA and I think Ratchada sois 4/6/8. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

• Like 1

You mean those guys who own bars and exploit underage farm girls for their own profit and the pervs that fly across oceans to sexually abuse them? Those guys?

Many accusations and no specific examples. The credibility factor from personal experience seems lacking.

Illegal and immoral things do take place. I'm just not an expert on such matters and know only what I read, which in many cases, is second and third hand information.

• Like 2

I see this is already posted on the TripAdvisor Thailand forum, which is of course read by thousands of prospective tourists to Thailand.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k8262245-Bangkok_nightlife_said_to_be_on_midnight_curfew-Bangkok.html

Yes, they have managed to do it again....

I agree that the young clubbing tourist crowd may be offput, but I doubt the majority of tourists, especially the hoards from Asia, will care too much about losing 2 hours drinking time in Bangkok. The main tourist destinations outside the capital are, so far, unaffected by this.

• Like 1

Nana is not in an Entertainment Zone. Cowboy is, as is Patpong, RCA and I think Ratchada sois 4/6/8. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

Agree it will be interesting. The bar owners in those entertainment zones have been told the same thing. " At least 2 weeks". Then it's just licence dependent. Even in Cowboy most bars have a 12 closing as I understand it.

RCA likely 1am ...

Obviously there is a chance of behind the scenes "negotiations" TIT :)

Edited by sandrew33
  • Like 2

The Thai establishment and elite fed at the trough of Bangkok's sex trade and nightlife for decades. Now that they have their wealth off the backs of the Thai girls, they want to curfew the operations. Nice going Thais.

What has this got to do with sex? Have you ever been on a night out in Bangkok? It's not just Nana, Cowboy and Patpong you know! And as the latter two places are Entertainment Zones, as is RCA, I would think they are unaffected.

Soi Cowboy is NOT in an entertainment zone. You are correct about Patpong and RCA however. There is nowhere along Sukhumvit which is part of an entertainment zone.

• Like 2

The Thai establishment and elite fed at the trough of Bangkok's sex trade and nightlife for decades. Now that they have their wealth off the backs of the Thai girls, they want to curfew the operations. Nice going Thais.

What has this got to do with sex? Have you ever been on a night out in Bangkok? It's not just Nana, Cowboy and Patpong you know! And as the latter two places are Entertainment Zones, as is RCA, I would think they are unaffected.
Soi Cowboy is NOT in an entertainment zone. You are correct about Patpong and RCA however. There is nowhere along Sukhumvit which is part of an entertainment zone.

I stand corrected.

Had this curfew in Chiang Mai since the coup and a few bars have gone bust.

Been trying to point this out to people with only phuket or pattaya experience for weeks.. If they want to close bars at midnight, thats the law and they entirely can.

If they want to close bars between 2 - 5, thats also the law.

have i missed something here ? i understood it was soi 4 area, has this changed, everyone is talking Bangkok in general now , only as mentioned before in a previoius posting SOI COWBOY comes under a different police juris diction., and yes, who is the clown responsible for this utter stupidty, so licensing laws mean nothing now,

• Like 1

What a fickle place. There's just no consistency. rolleyes.gif

That's why living in Thailand is so exciting. Every day different, every day a new surprise. Wonderful! I love it! clap2.gif

second that - never tried it but probably would be almost like beeing confined in a mental hospital where the inmates are running the place ...cheesy.gif

This happened before when the Junta took over for the first few months, back then the plaza opened two hours earlier to make up for the time difference. I am sure the bar owners will be having a meeting in the situation room, they might have to call the bib in for some attitude adjustment.

have i missed something here ? i understood it was soi 4 area, has this changed, everyone is talking Bangkok in general now , only as mentioned before in a previoius posting SOI COWBOY comes under a different police juris diction., and yes, who is the clown responsible for this utter stupidty, so licensing laws mean nothing now,

The latest reports suggest it is the whole city. I guess we will see tonight.

What I think may be happening here is the crackdown is aimed at the hoon element that gives the tourism industry a bad name. Bar brawls, yahooing and drunken behaviour by party drunk clowns is ,overall, bad for business. Remember when Singapore made hippies get a haircut or they couldn't get into the country. Maybe the new rules are targeting caps on backward and underwear singlet types showing no regard for Thai cultural sensitivites? If people come here just to get pissed and laid it is no wonder the junta want to control hangouts that cater to them. In any case look at all the money some can save by going home while they can still remember where they have been.

The merry go round goes on. Back in the late 70's or early 80's Patpong (which was almost the be all and end all entertainment area, and bloody good also) had to close at midnight. There was a queue of cabs lined up on the soi to transport people to alternative entertainment venues in what looked to be converted, good quality residences. Seamless. I think that was following a coup also. The military (OFFICER CLASS) seem to be a bit each way about Thai tourism.