New Bangkok Nightlife Curfew Rumors Cause Tourism Concerns

Jacob Maslow

I have no problem with bar closure for Buddhist holidays. Possibly even the law now, but nothing changes here,

Ok for some bars & not for others. 3 bars yesterday off Soi 7 doing a roaring trade all day (Police day off)

I am waiting with baited breath to listen to the Generals comments on his Happy Hour TV broadcast tomorrow night

or if in fact he bothers mentioning it at all.

Where did this archaic order actually come from?,,, Junta, Police , anti alcohol lobbiests or other.?

Anyway, to whoever it is, I would like to say "Please do not treat us all like children" or we will go play in another Asean country,

& remember, alcohol taxes are one you will still be able to collect after Asean is in affect

Anyway can still pop down to Sukhumvit after 1am, & drink till sunup buying from the unlicensed, untaxed street carts, pee on the street & have a dump on the poor old tailors step

Thailand, I despair!!!.

have i missed something here ? i understood it was soi 4 area, has this changed, everyone is talking Bangkok in general now , only as mentioned before in a previoius posting SOI COWBOY comes under a different police juris diction., and yes, who is the clown responsible for this utter stupidty, so licensing laws mean nothing now,

The report has always been all of Bangkok.

Since it's a dispute between the 2 highest ranking Police, jurisdictional issues are irrelevant AND AGAIN they are enforcing licencing laws. 12 midnight or 1am for those with special licence conditions.

I am at an event in Soi 11 tonight and that place is open until 1am.

Curfew?

But what will all the "Quality Tourists" amped on amphetamine do all night, besides grind their teeth?

Yes, because everyone who drinks in a bar or club after midnight is on meth. <deleted> are you 12 or 70?

• Like 1

Pathetic "journalism", relying on hearsay and rumour. Time to pin down an official spokesman and get an explanation. Otherwise, Thailand's already bruised tourist industry will take yet another hit. The junta has a highly sophisticated and vocal public relations arm. It needs to be twisted - and quickly.

What will all the alcoholics/sex tourists do having the bars shut down two hours early. OMG! The horror!

Another wowser.

The issue is that 2am is already early closing by the standard of most fun cities. 12 is barely late evening.

Lots of white civilised people like to be out and about in the late evenings and into the early hours. As a city that has tended to cater to that and built a large industry that generates much revenue and employs many people it's an unfortunate change.

It's about as sensible as introducing midnite closing in NYC or HK or Vegas.

The fact that you're tucked up in bed at 10 having rubbed one out and posted some smug posts on TV is neither here nor there to the broader grown up discussion.

• Like 2

Pathetic "journalism", relying on hearsay and rumour. Time to pin down an official spokesman and get an explanation. Otherwise, Thailand's already bruised tourist industry will take yet another hit. The junta has a highly sophisticated and vocal public relations arm. It needs to be twisted - and quickly.

It's merely the enforcement of the law by Police.

Because one chief is pissed off that another chief enforced the law in his area.

It's hardly based on rumour. Ask any major club or bar owner. They've all been clearly informed that, as of yesterday, the law will be enforced strictly for at least 2 weeks across Bkk.

You want the government to announce that they've informed the police not to enforce the law?

Anything the government does will be behind the scenes pulling various police into line. Telling them they can flout certain laws. Perhaps Din Daeng gambling might even reopen :)

Edited by sandrew33

You mean those guys who own bars and exploit underage farm girls for their own profit and the pervs that fly across oceans to sexually abuse them? Those guys?

You are generalising here, and that is wrong.

• Like 2

This will have ZERO effect on tourism. Bangkok has not been a "party city" for at least 15 years. That's when the decided to enforce closure of bar at 2am. So absolutely no one comes to Thailand because they want to drink all night. Plenty of other cities in the world have bars open all night and it those cities that attract the people wanting to be out all night drinking.

Edited by Time Traveller

Aaaarghh!

This means that after taking my daughter to the One Direction concert next week I won't be able to recover with a few beers in town!

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

You mean there is only one direction to the concert, are the rest of the roads shut off?

Amazing Thailand- unfortunately it starts with stupid people.

That is why this is a third world country and always will, stupidity is carried from the parents to the children. That applies from the Issan farmer to the top of the Junta.

If Thailand had the IQ of the UK, America, Australia etc, it would be one of the best countries in the world, because it has among the most honest and decent people.

Maybe its just me living out here in the Styx. But why do folk have to drink after midnight , who leaves work at ,say , 11pm and need to find a drink somewhere ? Surely you can eat dinner ,go out at 8pm and drink merrliy 'till midnight, Who is desperate to need the bar to prop up for another hour ?

Such a smart country!!!!!

It maybe a reflection of the army pressure on the police. And the brewing conflict between them. Police did what they wanted before, now it's different with big boys (army) overseeing the country.

Will the price of hookers go up or down?

Thai business philosophy: Prices to go up - because: No business (same as with orange juice, cement, spare parts, developer's land etc.etc.)

This will have ZERO effect on tourism. Bangkok has not been a "party city" for at least 15 years. That's when the decided to enforce closure of bar at 2am. So absolutely no one comes to Thailand because they want to drink all night. Plenty of other cities in the world have bars open all night and it those cities that attract the people wanting to be out all night drinking.

Well as recently as 18 months ago we routinely had bars open in dodgy sexpat areas of Bangkok until after 3 and bars and clubs open across the city until after 6.... There was an influx of late night clubs that didn't really try for punters til after 1am ...

So you're talking out of your arse ...

It definitely hurts youth tourism. There remains a very very very strong perception that Bangkok is a party city and that's only just changing.... these short term hits don't impact on regular visitors who get used to the vagaries of Thailand but there is plenty of evidence that it gets talked up on social media by young cashed up travelers male and female looking to party...

Plus it costs business in that sector huge amounts of money from those that are here as visitors or locals. Thais like to party and they spend a bomb at RCA, in Thong Lor and numerous other parts of the city. That money is lost to those business for at least 2 weeks...

But yeah, good Post

Edited by sandrew33
  • Like 1

Bangkok had a reputation as a place you can go for fun and some decent venues. And a city that doesn't sleep.

Perhaps 15 years ago it was. Have you been in a coma for that long?

Bangkok is no HK, Tokyo, Las Vegas or NYC. Even Manilla is more of a 24 hour city than Bangkok. None of those cities have curfews or enforced closing, which BKK has had for long long time.

The only people attracted to Bangkok for it's nightlife are the sex tourists.

That is complete and utter bullshit.

Bangkok hasn't had enforced closures at 2am apart from in the odd little spurt until the coup last year...

I'm into the BKK nightlife scene and have lived here the last 7 years. Until last year, one could routinely go out until 5am if you wanted to... Even the girly bars were open until 3 am ....

Did you read about Bangkok in a book?

A few days ago, one of the girls I know in Soi Cowboy told me the bars would have to start closing at 1am... police order. She also said the bars would be opening earlier, at 6pm. Presumably to 'make up' for the lost revenue by closing early. I just laughed, as I remember the bars opening early during the last curfew and then complaining there were no customers during those early hours. Thais don't ever seem to learn.

As for the why of the 'enforced' early closing, I think it is possibly a power struggle between the junta and the police.

Maybe its just me living out here in the Styx. But why do folk have to drink after midnight , who leaves work at ,say , 11pm and need to find a drink somewhere ? Surely you can eat dinner ,go out at 8pm and drink merrliy 'till midnight, Who is desperate to need the bar to prop up for another hour ?

It's you living out in the sticks :)

I routinely, on a night out, finish work 6ish, gym or other stuff that needs doing, chores, shopping, chill etc ... Meet mates for dinner at 9 to 9.30 and then head to first bar for a drink after 10, maybe later ...

There's lot of decent bars, if you start in Silom or Thong Lot or wherever you be got to allow for traffic of moving around the city ... Then you hit a more later night bar or club at maybe 12 ... 2 is early to finish but you can have a decent night. But why do we need to regulate it? As long as people are behaving themselves, enjoying themselves then why do we need to demand they be home in bed?

That's for the grumpy old <deleted> or bible bashers

• Like 1

Anyone familiar with Bangkok's nightclub scene will have seen this many times before. Let's wait and see how widely and how strictly, and for how long, it is enforced.

Any fixing up of the problem will simply require a deal being done between the 2 big police. This can be facilitated by the government or the farce might drag on. As of right now (5 minutes ago) there has been no change in position tonight ....