New Bangkok Nightlife Curfew Rumors Cause Tourism Concerns

Jacob Maslow

Its obvious they are trying to force some of the smaller venues out of business to increase their share. My friend has closed his bar due to new restrictions therefore putting 5 or so girls out of work. Multiply this by the many closures already seen and you can only guess at the hardship this is causing for Thais working in bar/catering outlets.

If you are a regular visitor to thailand or a stayer you will be used to these closures for religious and Royal reasons and you just put up with them because you can always find somewhere for a drink.

If you are about to book a holiday and you see this indiscriminate curfew of course you are going to go elsewhere and probably never consider Thailand again as one comment says those that have had their fingers in the pie have made their cash so can absorb this easier, plus have inside knowledge to when it may end

Yeah, tonight climax closed at 2am, staff said it would close 2am the next 2 weeks. Last week it was 03:30.

It may be more of an absolute enforcement of legal closing times (2am) rather than midnight, as someone predicted earlier.

But then again street side bars at the corner of Asoke and cowboy were open at 03:30 and I left a massage place at 5am.

Edited by jspill

Good to see the curfew! Maybe that will keep the tourists away for the next two weeks and

show the present Thai government, not to believe their great TAT of Thailand and

get out there and see the real situation or what it is.

Good Luck people and business owners of Thailand!

Good Luck Expats, better stock up on your beverages, for the next two weeks anyway.

Glad I am not going to LOS until this coming Winter, maybe saner minds will

exist then. Ha Ha Ha

I will not hold my breath!

Edited by Stargrazer9889

Good to see the curfew! Maybe that will keep the tourists away for the next two weeks and

show the present Thai government, not to believe their great TAT of Thailand and

get out there and see the real situation or what it is.

Good Luck people and business owners of Thailand!

Good Luck Expats, better stock up on your beverages, for the next two weeks anyway.

Glad I am not going to LOS until this coming Winter, maybe saner minds will

exist then. Ha Ha Ha

I will not hold my breath!

How is closing at the legal time a curfew? There will be a number of late night clubs, either in Entertainment Zones or with "special arrangements" for those who want to party until dawn.

Nana is not in an Entertainment Zone. Cowboy is, as is Patpong, RCA and I think Ratchada sois 4/6/8. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

Agree it will be interesting. The bar owners in those entertainment zones have been told the same thing. " At least 2 weeks". Then it's just licence dependent. Even in Cowboy most bars have a 12 closing as I understand it.

RCA likely 1am ...

Obviously there is a chance of behind the scenes "negotiations" TIT :)

You understand wrong. 2AM SOI COWBOY.

As I posted yesterday afternoon, the larger bar groups/bars were contacted late yesterday afternoon and advised that 2am was now the closing time for all bars. That covers the full gamut of bar/clubs etc ...

And that's exactly what happened.

Those same bars had been preparing for lower staff numbers etc since they had been told on Tuesday it would be 12 midnight for 2 weeks.

For blokes like #farangman to say he runs a bar in Cowboy and had no idea what was going on and the reasons for it is staggering.

Which bar Farangman?

• Like 1

do 90% of contributors to this site not live here, i think not, and NOTHING HAPPENED (read my lips) it was all B**lsh*t, so now all you miserable sods can go back to bed ok.and you must get out of that jungle (jim) i dare you, go out late one night, sit at a street bar, meet new people, there were 8 different people from all over the world at my street bar a couple of nights ago, having good intelligent conversation, wow i will be in deep dog mess now, it was 3 am in the morning !!

• Like 1

It would be better to just hit the delete key!

The soldier rulers of Thailand should just make it a dry country every second weekend you cant get a drink here always someone's birthday or holy day, that would also stamp out most of the drink related problems with driving deaths on the roads would come down and with the 25 year old Thai teenagers drinking and causing pregnancy and youth crime

1. Most young Thai males I see spend a lot of time drinking at each other's houses... bars are not strictly needed.
  2. 25 year-olds are not teenagers
  3. Your post has to be one of the longest run-on sentences I've seen for a while... next time, please try a period or two.

I have not been up to Bangkok for a while, is Sukhumvit soi 3 -23 still packed with open air bars from 2am anyone? or have they been closed down

Street stall type bars were all still going strong around 3am

• Like 1

Do men fly from Bumfuceygpt to Bangkok or Pattaya to go into a bar with no girls just to have an overpriced small bottle of beer or watered down alcohol? Bars are storefronts for illegal activity that they directly benefit from by the way of bar fines. So when the junta starts getting rid of the girls then you will see a significant loss in bar revenue legal and illegal. So it doesn't matter if the curfew is 11pm,12,1 or 2am. There will still be adequate time for volumes of the two tiered drinks to be consumed and chickens to be fed. Maybe "Happy Hours" will make a resurgence.